Opponent finder, dead?

Sean

Hi All,

Apologies if this is the wrong area for this question.

It would appear that Skarsnik's Opponent Finder is dead in the water. I was not an early adopter of Oldhammer (the horrible shame hangs around me like a pall) so I was unable to register.

Over here in the America's I feel there is a growing number of people who don't know how to find others to play Oldhammer with. If you know of resources please let me know. I can make up a new tagged map, but don't want to reinvent the wheel. One way to make it less of a chore would be to have people do regions as a layer and then share that.

Just some thoughts. Can you tell I'm trying to put off doing yard work?

Sean.

Dreamfish

Administrator
Maybe we can ask to transfer it to the oldhammercommunity gmail account and place in the hands of the community instead of a single individual. I tried in the past but never got a reply.

Zhu Bajie

If Skarsnik doesn't want to moderate it any more (too busy hoarding giants, I expect).... and Dreamfish (or anyone I suppose) is up for maintaining it, all you need to do is click the three little menu dots and select "copy map", then add your new dots and promote it.

Meanwhile... get that yard swept Sean!

Sean

Thanks Dreamfish and Zhu,

Yeah it can't hurt to have more than one map. The copy is a good idea. I was thinking of doing Europe and North America as separate layers anyway. While it would be nice to have someone "in charge" I don't see it as being that much of a problem if multiple people do it.

Hopefully Skarsnik will come along and give his two cents on it.

Sean

PS - I'll post a link when and if I have something linkable.

Dreamfish

Administrator
Alright, a copy has been made of the map and stored under the oldhammercommunity gmail account.

The admin has setup a sticky forum post viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8346 were people can join, just like with the blog roll and news feed.

Dreamfish

Administrator
Zhu Bajie":3q044vay said:
Nice one.

It looks like there was a little bit of a back-log of people who had signed up, are there plans to add these in?

http://skarsnikandoldlead.blogspot.co.u ... inder.html

Also is there some way of making a more friendly URL perhaps pointing http://opponentfinder.oldhammer.org.uk or opponentfinder/ at a frameset or something similar?
I think you can forward it to the url; otherwise forward the opponentfinder subdomain to same IP as the forum and I'll try to forward it.

Plans, backlog, yes of course.

Sean

@optimus Looks like you're Primarch of Australia and Thailand. ;)

@Zhu I don't know about how one would do that, perhaps it's above my pay grade. There is an embed option and ways to share the map, but it looks like it resides on the users Google Drive space. I half heartedly tried to copy the map yesterday, but am not familiar enough with the interface to get it to work. I suspect I need to import the KML data to get the existing data into a new map.

@Dreamfish I appear to have glossed over your comment about the oldhammer account version and the sticky thread. I'll take a look at that. In looking at the existing rolls for North America there are only 13 members and at least two who have websites linked, the site is defunct. We have 128 members in the Oldhammer in the New World facebook group and there has been some discussion that the group is all that's needed. I personally feel that having a basic graphical representation of possible opponents might inspire more people to get involved.

Gotta run, but I'll check back in later,

Sean

I think Crooksy is for Australia....or at least Sydney, but I'm pretty confident about being the Grand Pooh-Bah of Thailand :lol:

Back