Yorkshire Old Boys Society. YOBS.

Thantsants

Re: Yorkshire Old Boys Bedlamite Oldhammer Society. YOBBOS.

Looks like I'm free that Sunday too.

York Wargaming Society meet on a Monday by the way...

Oh and I'm sure you'll be taking advantage of an ample expenses account for accommodation and all that, but if you'd like to come round for dinner at all instead of a table for one in the hotel restaurant on any or all of the evenings you're up here in this fine city, you're more than welcome! Just to warn you though we have two lively children and two lively labradors to contend with - if you prefer the peace and haut-cuisine of a restaurant I won't be offended!

Its usually 6.30-7.00pm by the time I get home from work on a weekday and there's the dogs to walk to but I'm sure we can squeeze you in somewhere.

Let me know when your train gets in too and I'll see if I can save you any taxi fare on the Sunday and get you to wherever we play the game (I'm happy to host that as well) :mrgreen:

Small update on the Battle at the Farm meetup at my parents' place in the lakes - My dear old Mam has agreed to let me have a weekend up there to host it. I mentioned the weekend before Easter - 12-13th April arbitrarily but I'll have to check on my school holiday dates as well.

The only slight problem I anticipate is where the builders might be up to by then. My folks are having all sorts done to the chimneys and re-doing the lime mortar pointing in all the walls and we won't know what the state of play will be till nearer the time. It won't be a case of being unable to run the weekend I'm sure but might limit some options...

Once I've firmed a few things up I'll give you lot a confirmed date and see who's interested. :grin:

weazil

Cheers, Mr T - that's very civil of you!

Well, let me get my ducks in a row, get everything confirmed and then we can discuss what we all want to do. I should know this week.

Thantsants

No problems - I can't guarantee a restful evening or two but it'd certainly be eventful! :mrgreen:

Hi everyone,

I've been offline for the past twelve months due to house renovations and changing job. I'm just starting to get back into the hobby again and will painting and blogging again soon.

Now I have all my old figures and rulebooks unpacked I'm quite keen to get some games of 3rd edition. My Elven army needs a run out so please count me in for all three events.

I'm also still working on my undead army and have nearly all the rank and file painted, so again I'm quite keen to try it out in a couple of games.

Looking forward to meeting up and gaming with you all.

I'll get some photo's added to my Oldhammer blog (http://oldschoolwarhammer.blogspot.co.uk/ over the next couple weeks as well.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Harrogate (South side, just off the Leeds road), happy to host a game or two at my house. I used to go to the Harrogate and Ripon (HARD) wargaming club on a Thursday night many years ago, so we could also meet up there if you still attend on club nights. You never know, we might get a few more people to join in.

Thantsants

Count me in for any plans you have for a bit of 3rd ed. in Harrogate, Leeds or here in York - although it's a bit of a squeeze with my two dogs taking up all the floor space!

My Orcs haven't tasted Elf flesh in a while... :mrgreen:

Padre

I myself cannot be at FIASCO as I am being a trayned band musketeer at the the 'other' royal armouries, the Tower of London.

Skarsnik

As a YOBBOS hanger-on. I may be at Fiasco too, would be cool to meet up with you guys at some point. I will know for sure in a week or 2.

Thantsants

A car share sounds good - I don't have particularly fond memories of the Loop (is that what the inner city "ring" road is called?) from when I worked for Majestics in Leeds!

In fact I had fun trying to get to the Carnegie Stadium for a schools link meeting with the Leeds Rhinos the other day :mad:

VanLoon

Warlord Paul":1fdsqywx said:
Incidentally, are any of you attending FIASCO this year? It's on the 27th of October at the Royal Armouries, Leeds.

Hi,

I might be over your side that weekend and if so will try to get to FIASCO for an hour or two.

It's not definite yet by any means, but would be good to meet up if I can manage it?

Hi all.

First of all, let me address Thantsants personally. I'm very sorry if this post sounds melodramatic, I remain committed to our gaming partnership (nascent friendship dare I say?) and look forward to gaming with you for many a year to come.

Due to recent events I have begun to make plans to leave the forum and move to the Facebook community instead. I won't be leaving immediately because of the YOBBOS and the plans we have made, but I would like to move any local social group to Facebook eventually, if at all possible. I won't be adding any new events to the diary here but if somebody wants to take over the reins just say and I will leave the thread intact for you.

I remain committed to Blog-Con, Fiasco and the 'Battle at the Farm'.

It is with regret that I must announce the 'Night of the Living Lead' event has met with a poor response so I have taken the decision to move the venue to my house. I can still accommodate late arrivals though so don't hesitate to email me if you want to come.

For now, I can be reached most easily at my blog (see below) and via email at thewarlordpaul@gmail.com

Kind regards, Paul.

Thantsants

No worries from me matey - I too look forward to continuing our friendship on and offline - Facebook has always been a bit of a closed book to me though! ;)

It's sad to see anyone feel the need to leave the forum - I hope you feel able to return in the future.

Sounds a shame about the uptake for Night of the Living Lead - hope it has more to do with distance and getting the weekend off than anything else. Your place it is by the sounds of it!

Still looking forward to Blog-con and Fiasco too. I'm up in the Lakes this weekend so will be discussing the arrangements for the Battle as the Farm in more detail with my folks - stay frosty for an update one and all.

I think it's probably worth while to keep this thread alive - if only to stay in touch with those social networking dinosaurs like me!

Thantsants

Morning all - anyone up for a bit of Orc's Drift?

Doug - Paul's mate in Harrogate, who very kindly hosted the Night of the Living Dead for us is willing to play host again and provide his fantastic table and scenery for the finale of Orc's Drift.

This would be the concluding game to the three scenarios I played with various folk at BOYL at the Foundry earlier this summer. Let me know if you're up for it and then we can start talking dates.

On a similar note - anyone up for Recon at Pudsey on the 7th December? I know Hetz is usually down. :grin:

Padre

'Fraid it ain't happening for me tomorrow. Stuff = in the way. Stuff and nonsense some would say. Stuff it, others would shout. Meanwhile, I am stuffed.

Thantsants

Morning all - long time no see so apologies for that! As it's the first day of my Half term and I have a few minutes to myself I figure it's about time I got this show on the road again.

A while back I mentioned I was thinking about setting up a gaming weekend at my parents' place up in the Lake District. Well I have commandeered the familial home and the Battle at the Farm is all set for the weekend of the 12th April - the weekend before Easter Sunday.

We have a large attached barn which will accommodate at least 3 or even 4 games and several spare rooms to put up anyone wanting to trek up. I've already had interest from a couple of fellow Oldhammerers - as it's been a while since I mentioned all this can you chaps confirm you're still up for it.

I'll be up on Friday 11th as it's in the middle of the Easter holidays so you'd be more than welcome to come up then. Otherwise the plan is for two days of gaming on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th April. I haven't got as far as planning any games in particular - options could include the RT scenario and the event's namesake - Battle at the Farm. Might need some painted Space Orks for that though. My Orc army is expanding rapidly so a good old game of 2nd/3rd ed. could be on the cards. I've recently got hold of a second Mighty Fortress so perhaps a bit of Warhammer siege could be fun too? I'm afraid the Shrine of Rigg won't be ready in time however. Any other ideas you lot have in mind will be most enough welcome too.

In terms of bed and board - there are several spare rooms available. We are currently having some building work done both inside and out, including a new second bathroom put in - these may or may not be ready by April. In any case, as lovely as the place is, it is still a work in progress and isn't exactly 5 star luxury and beautifully decorated yet! Although downstairs in the main house is well heated by wood burning stoves and there are lots of electric blankets for beds, I'd recommend warm clothing if the weather is still a bit chilly! My dogs (two very affectionate and boisterous Labradors!) will be coming too, just in case anyone has any issues like allergies with them.

I'm intending to cook breakfast lunch and dinner each day - stuff like Full English, bread and cheese for lunch and good old staples like Spag Bol for dinner. A contribution of a tenner would be good to cover costs here, oh and let me know about any dietary requirements if any. If you're wanting to come up on the Friday and want feeding then too give me a shout. Bring your own booze for the inevitable fire-side session in the evening!

Speaking of travelling up - We will be pretty close to Keswick if you want an idea of how far you might have to go.

I'm sure geography will dictate to a large extent who will be able to contemplate coming up, however this weekend is open to any other Oldhammer "cells" - not just the YOBBO's! I'm also happy for partners/families to come along too - we'll be in a lovely part of the country, close to Keswick and Derwent Water. If promising a short break in the Lakes helps you sell the weekend to your better halves then go for it. In terms of accommodating everyone in this instance - if you're sure they'll be happy with air mattresses/camp beds then I'm sure we can squeeze everyone in. I'm assuming my wife and two kids (4 and 3 years old) will be up so it might be quite a nice get together for our various Lead widows and assorted WAG's and other camp followers!

If you're interested in joining us pm me and I'll give you the rest of the details.

Back