First "official", meeting of OGRE (East Anglia)

Erny

OK in the spirit of just getting on with it and after reading GROGG's plans I would like to propose the East Anglians (name to be confirmed but my vote is OGRE) meet around Halloween too, giving us a couple of months after Oldhammer day and it will probably be somewhere in Cambridge, the Cambridge games club being a good bet. Aiming big I'll look into getting the hall for the weekend.

The suitably Halloween Scenario will be:

Oldhammer Horror.

Assorted things that go bump in the night attack a remote Empire village. The horrors are lead either by a vampire (Baron Christoph Herlee) or perhaps a possessed witch. The defenders will need to have a witch hunter, possibly a authoritarian corrupt individual. There is the option of including a priest of Sigma or perhaps for more interest Shallya, how does a pacifist react to the un-lead. We stick in as many Hammer Horror tropes as possible.

Things that go bump in the night would include undead or chaos stuff but we can thrash out how they are linked at some point. The battle will take place at night so there will be suitable rules in play.

Not a million miles away from GROGGs night of the living dead but subtly different and hey what else are you going to do for Halloween.

Erny

I would imagine so yes. Feel free to spin a few ideas out here.

Oh and don't let me stop you organizing something for the EGO subdivision...

I'm enjoying this, its like when we had all the enthusiasm last August.

Harry

Firstly I can't believe you nicked my idea. :grin:
Secondly that would be GROG's not GROGGS! :roll:

Erny

I don't know, what does that second G stand for? I'm sure it applies.

Oh and what does GLOGG even mean! You should have gone for Oldhammer: Greater London Expanse. Sums you up nicely.

bug16

All sounds good! Stupid question though.. I didn't realise there was a club in Cambridge and I only lived there for 14 years!

Chico

Erny":z8pv08yp said:
I don't know, what does that second G stand for? I'm sure it applies.

Oh and what does GLOGG even mean! You should have gone for Oldhammer: Greater London Expanse. Sums you up nicely.

GLOGG: Greater London Oldhammer Gits & Gamers, think of it as a place name until someone thinks of a more funny one lol. I was gonna go with GLOW Greater London Oldhammer Wargamers.

Erny

Right I've chatted to the guys at the club and they were already booking the hall for the 29th, a Sunday, which hopefully is perfect. I'll need to check with the wife myself but hopefully I'll be free. One chap seams quite interested himself so we may have grown the regional contingent already.

What do we all think, is Sunday the 29th a good day?

Orlygg

Right, i've started work on some units that i hope will fit into this scenario. Regiment of foot knights and RoR The Nightmare Legion. Goodies and baddies there.

Do we need scenery, i have a few old worlde buildings that i could finish?

Erny

OK how about we post up what we could bring to the table, naturally mini wise some people will have more than others but please don't let anyone feel that means they can't chip in. Offering to do some write ups or good ideas are just as useful as Orlyggs offers of miniatures and scenery. Ideally I'd like to see something used from everyone that wants to contribute.

I would like to keep the game looking as good as possible, it's our first game so lets make it an advert for what we can achieve. Minis would be old or old inspired like WK dwarves, 4th and 5th ed OK 3rd or earlier better. All minis painted with a minimum of say four colours though obviously better painted if possible, I don't want to see anybody excluded. That includes at least one chap from the club who is interested and my brother too. The lists should be inspired by Warhammer armies but not dictated by them. I see the Empire army being smaller but with more low level characters, a witch hunter, local priest, passing group of adventurers along with perhaps a small detachment from a standing army and the local militia.

Scenery we could just use the blood on the streets card terrain but how about the town houses from WD? We have hills and such at the club but I'd need to see what state of repair they are in.

I can bring an undead army and chaotic types too, Hammer screams devils and daemons as much as skeletons and zombies. There would certainly be room for more than one nightmare legion. Bug16 also has a great undead army so perhaps we could just go for it and have a never ending tide that only runs out at day break. Can the village, the wtich hunter and the adventurers survive?

Empire wise I have militia from the 80's some armed with clubs some with bows. Also some Halberdiers and x-bows from the time. I do have mounted knights, cannon and reiksguard foot though how many of these would be present we can debate, particularly because Orlygg can bring some too.

Orlygg

Oh dear! :cry: Wife just realised that we are actually busy that weekend. Oh, well. I'll be there in spirit boys!

Erny

Well there will be other ones.

Edited to add:

If it were not for the fact we are sharing the booking with the Cambridge club I'd offer to try to rearrange but the club are already set on this date.

lenihan

If part of the goal is to make this an advert for what we can achieve, then it would certainly be better to have Orlygg on board, as from what I've seen he's got some gorgeous stuff. (Plus with this being the first meeting, would be nice to have us all there.) But I understand the advantage of having the hall when it's already booked, so it's a real dilemma.

For what it's worth, my idea for the theming of my force, picking up on the hammer horror flavour, would be: "It came from swamp..." - essentially the core of the force would be Firmir, but they would summon appropriately gruesome horrors from the marshlands (with appropriate old school minis to represent the swamp horrors - keeping that vague for now to preserve the element of surprise). Now, the swamp horrors I'm confident can fit the whole "glorious table of oldhammer lead" ethos. The fimir, perhaps less so as I'd be using mildly converted heroquest fimir as the basis for that force... certainly I think they constitute oldhammer although "looking as good as possible", that's more debatable - heroquest plastics are still heroquest plastics and so are like marmite! So I have no problem if you'd rather scrap the idea of fimir summoning horrors from the swamp and would rather stick to chaos and undead, but I just thought I'd throw my idea out there to see what the group thinks.

Erny

No problems including Fimir, I have a meargh an d a couple of nobles, aligning yourself with swamp daemons seams very appropriate for a chaos wizard or necromancer, plus swamps a creepy.

I imagine we will also meet before the weekend in question, on the regular Monday Club night, I know it is a fare way but perhaps Orlygg, you can make an evening?

bug16

I like the idea of a never ending tide of Undead but Fimir are also cool. :)

Scenery wise I can provide buildings from BotS, TotL and McD. Condition might be a bit variable as they've been living various lofts since 1994 so I'll have to check them first and see what's survived as I suspect some might be a bit squashed or need basing.

I can also bring a few trees, they're the really nice ones GW used to sell in the mid 90's. If we need things like walls and fences Rendera sell decent looking sprues for £4 a pack. I honestly don't have time to paint or base these for the event but others might.

Figure wise I can obviously bring my Undead but I don't own anything else that's painted and my only other 3rd ed WHFB army is DE's.

Erny

OK so it turns out the 29th is no good for me, the Mrs informed me as such just tonight... :lol:

Still the club is booking that day so I don't see why others shouldn't go along and do something, particularly if we have popped along to the Monday evening club night a few times before then. I'll have a see if I can get the hall booked for a day another weekend. As we wouldn't be joining a preexisting booking we could discuss free weekends a bit more!

Back