Anyone for GROG? (Gloucesershire Retro & Oldhammer Gamers)

Harry

Re: Anyone for GROG? (Gloucesershire Retro & Oldhammer Gamer

Sorry missed this.
Is it painted only? It is nice for the photo's ... and a bit more 'oldhammer'.... but I am not going to throw you out if you everything isn't all blended and highlighted. :grin:

I will have about 80 oldhammer skellies painted up if I keep cracking on as I am now.
In addition I have another 50 5th edition plastics painted up.
I am not quite sure just how many skellies Norse thinks we will need but I think that may be enough for everyone?
I do have a whole bunch more (probably as many again) painted ones I picked up as part of a bigger trades that are not as nice but will do the trick.
So I probably have 250+ skellies.

In other words don't panic! Turn up with a Necromancer and some beer and everything else will fall into place. :grin:

Norse ... where are you.
I am concentrating my efforts on the table.
I am still hoping you are thinking about the rules/scenario?

Posted this summary of the basic plan .... but we need to put some flesh on the Bones.

Our basic idea was that the Players would be Necromancers. Raising as much undead as they can as fast as they can (getting increasingly powerful as midnight approaches) to achieve certain objectives ... artifacts to recover, allies to release from tombs etc etc.

We plan a Necromancers deck of cards with the various goals and other random events thrown in and we draw a new one every hour so an increasing number of objectives come into play as the game progresses and the Necromancers must split their forces to accomplish as many objectives as possible.

I think we just liked the idea of the completely random unfolding of events.

All the action would be based around a small human village who would basically be trying to survive the night whilst this battle went on in and around their village. They will basically be AI controlled trying to protect their homes and not really aware that the artifact hanging over their fireplace is of crucial importance to the necromancers.

Not sure how that fits in with the overall scheme but as our ideas flesh out we can post them on this thread and see how they can all be woven together".

I have invited anyone from OGG who would like to make it ... so there may be a couple more.

Golgfag1

Well Gents,

From the amount of posts in response to Harry's invitation I think you've got me, myself & I from Oxfordshire at this moment in time, but that may change! As for what I can bring - Normans for the Saga Option; for the night of the living dead - my small chaos warband, Dark Elves, Lizardmen / Slann & my Orcs & goblins - choice really is what fits best with what you want to do?
Oh and there's the Bretonians - 100 years war English!(but we don't want to say that do we. :lol:)

Paul / Golgfag1

Harry

Golgfag1":2brjgdwn said:
Well Gents,

From the amount of posts in response to Harry's invitation I think you've got me, myself & I from Oxfordshire at this moment in time, but that may change! As for what I can bring - Normans for the Saga Option; for the night of the living dead - my small chaos warband, Dark Elves, Lizardmen / Slann & my Orcs & goblins - choice really is what fits best with what you want to do?
Oh and there's the Bretonians - 100 years war English! (but we don't want to say that do we. :lol:)

Paul / Golgfag1
One OGG is just fine. :grin:
Paul you will be most welcome.
I am not sure we will get a game of SAGA in ... it may just be the big game of Warhammer.
In terms of what you need to bring .... I am not really sure.
I think Norse's idea was everyone just turned up with a Necromancer (I think I have enough Undead for everyone) BUT it is always nice to play with your own figures. So we could have an Orc Village on the table who come to see what the fuss is about. OR we could make the human village being raided a Norman (Bretonninan) village ... I am in the middle of building a Motte and Bailey for my Normans and you can bring you Normans and play the humans trying to survive the night. :grin:

Norse

Sorry, been really busy with work, but I'm still about!

Yeah, that should be more than enough skeletons.

The general idea is, indeed, to just turn up with a necromancer and some beer and roll some dice! Although any other models you want to bring might get used too.

Scenario is going fine, there are tables and plans for cards etc. How many buildings will there be Harry, and do you need me to supply anything other than the scenario?

Saturday after halloween is fine for me. Ben will be coming down from Birmingham to join in. Looks like we'll have a decent number of players then!

whisper

Well I know Harry has all the skellies sorted, however I have compleated a unit of skeletons that I humbly offer for use on night of the living lead!

Will start on my necromancer next :)
Best Wishes
Whisper

Attachments

• Skells.jpg
    Skells.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,557

Harry

Magnificent Whisper ... all skellies most welcome.

Hi Norse, Great to see you around again. I was beginning to think you must be trapped under a heavy object. :grin:

Nope just the scenario and cards, props would be great!

I was planning on sorting all the scenery.

I can do a Norse/Norman village with half a dozen houses ... I'll do some pictures.
If you can check out my Harry gets ready for Halloween thread you will see various bits of scenery on the way.

I was thinking about the pumkins as objectives ... maybe ingredients for spells ... or more power etc.
Or draw a pumpkin card. :grin:
I have a couple of Graveyards on the go, a temple of skulls a Stone circle a magic tower ... al of which could make good objectives ... sources of power .... whatever.

I would love you to weave the scenery into the stuff you are doing.

Norse

A heavy object called work!

I'll be taking some time off at the end of the month though, will use that to get some extra scenario preparation done.

Norse/Norman village sounds fine to me. What's the Bretonnian equivalent of Normandy?

Will definitely weave that scenery into what's going on, it looks too good not to try and get the best use out of it! Pumpkins are now the objectives. The night of Winter's Eve (as the Bretonnians call Geheimnisnacht) is the only time that a particular breed of pumpkin ripens and becomes suitable for the magical workings of the Necromancers. The seeds are a particularly powerful ingredient. There will be one or two patches about the place, but more will start popping up as the evening progresses, along with other events and sources of power.

Harry

Not sure if you noticed there are 3 sizes of pumpkin base ... they could be worth different points for calculating a 'victory'. (Although I think oldhammer will be the winner. :grin:) We could have 5x1 point 3x2 point and 1x3 points. 14 points up for grabs.

I have been thinking it would be cool if you could only raise skellies but by visiting a graveyard or tomb you got to roll some dice to see who else joins you. That way by visiting tombs you could pick up a wight, a mummy, a wraith, some ghosts, etc, etc.

I also have a etherial black coach that I thought would be amusing to keep appearing and disappearing moving in random speeds and random directions causing chaos. :grin:

I will post up on my Harry gets ready for Halloween thread some of the stuff I have painted so you know what stuff you have to work with ... include as much or as little as you like in your plans.

Hope work eases up a bit so you have some head space to enjoy coming up with this stuff.
If it is added stress and you you need me to pitch in .... please just say if there is stuff I can do to help out.

whisper

So we are each bringing our own pumkinomancer, but we sort out the stats for each one first like we did in Realms of chaos, and post details, fluff and pretty pictures in this thread or is it all going to be kept as a suprise for the day?

If I could thrash out a rough background for my necromancer would some one more litterate than me mind giving it a once over.

All the best
Whisper

Harry

whisper":1jn36u9j said:
So we are each bringing our own pumkinomancer, but we sort out the stats for each one first like we did in Realms of chaos, and post details, fluff and pretty pictures in this thread or is it all going to be kept as a suprise for the day?

If I could thrash out a rough background for my necromancer would some one more litterate than me mind giving it a once over.

All the best
Whisper
Any of the above. :grin:

This is all happening pretty organically at the moment.

We can either do it on the day ... or by all means have a swing at it yourself, post it here and I am sure Norse will weave it in his narrative. :grin: All adding to the build up of excitement.
I confess I have not even started to think about this piece of the puzzle.

Norse

Background is up to you, you'll get more out of it if you build a background but it's not strictly necessary. Story/Background can either be defined initially or it can grow as you piece together bits in-game. As long as you are thinking about it and conscious that it's important, it doesn't necessarily need to be written down. It need not be a work of literature! As Harry says though, if you do post up a background then I can use it to help me weave the narrative.

The different sizes of pumpkin base will determine how many seeds you can harvest from each patch. Each counter of seeds is worth a victory point, however they can also be consumed to regenerate some magic points if you don't mind taking the hit to your score. Some other things will also give you victory points or may provide a completely different route to victory, but pumpkin seeds will be the main method.

The villagers may also be a source of victory points (or possibly something else) if you can capture them alive, and searching through the houses may provide things.

As far as stats and things go, everyone will be a level 5 necromancer, which limits them to only raising skeletons. However, other types of undead being gathered from tombs and things is definitely possible. It's not a guarantee however, you won't know until you try what you manage to find.

The black coach could provide some fun, I'll definitely make some use out of that! Think I need to check up the rules on running people over in chariots.

Work is easing up a little now so not a problem, and I'll be having a few days off at the end of the month too so that'll help.

What I shall do is finish creating event cards and building cards, and a few tables for things I know are going to be in there, and throw together a few more tables when I get there to take account of stuff I may not have spotted.

Harry

That all sounds great.

I am off next week as well so if you want to come round before in one of your days off then we can do that.

Starting to get excited now. :grin:

Norse

Sounds like a good idea Harry. I'll see what days I'm able to get off. Likely to be the Thursday or the Friday. Would we be able to set the table up together in advance if I'm able to make it there on a day off? That way I can fiddle with scenario as necessary overnight.

Harry

Norse":2gcnhue4 said:
Sounds like a good idea Harry. I'll see what days I'm able to get off. Likely to be the Thursday or the Friday. Would we be able to set the table up together in advance if I'm able to make it there on a day off? That way I can fiddle with scenario as necessary overnight.
Sounds great. Let me know how you are fixed closer to the time.

Did you check out the pictures on the Halloween thread? Anything missing?
Anything you need me to paint ... scenery or minis ... for the ideas you have already.

Harry

@Norse

Did you see the other "Night of the living lead" thread?
Warlord Paul has written a bit of over arching background to pull together the various games.
Don't know if you can tie your narrative in with that?

whisper

Ok I said I was up for this as long as my life didn't change dramatically...
Well it did! At two am this morning my two boys Rowan and Alistair were born to an emergency Caesarian section.

Thanks for the memories and if possible I will try and drop the painted skellies off before the game, but no garentrees.
Well when Claire said she wanted some miniatures of her own this was not my first thought!

Cheers guys
Whisper

Harry

Wowsers!!! :shock:
Congratulations!
Hope all are doing well.
Maybe you could just drop by for a bit on the saturday ... just to say Hi.
But don't worry about coming round specially for the minis.

Harry

@ Norse

I found some time this weekend to chuck some stuff on the table.
The table is approx 10ft x 5ft
What you have is a village with nine similar houses and a Mill and an Ooooolllld empty barn. :shock:
The village is on a big scenic base which sitting centrally suggests four quarters for four players.
In the center of the village is an ancient stone circle.
Surrounding the village is a mess of graveyards and ruins.
There are four major bits of terrain ... one for each quarter : Temple of sculls, ruined Chaos Tower, ruined magicians tower and the walled graveyard. In addition there are four graveyards one for each quarter and 4 crypts/tombs. I also have 4 spooky overgrown houses ... which may or may not be inhabited by the living ... or haunted. One could pass as a witches cottage.

I will try and get a few pictures tommorow.
My daughter is having great fun setting it all up in different ways. :grin:

Norse

Congratulations whisper! It's a shame you can't make it, but it's for the very best of reasons.

Harry: haven't seen that thread yet, will take a look later and see if I can tie it in. Table layout sounds great, let me know if you make any changes. As it's already up and ready I shan't need to turn up in advance now. Scenario is shaping up. Not a lot I can post up about it in advance, but I'll see what I can do.

I know it's short notice and you almost certainly won't get this in time, but we've just decided on a game of Tunnels & Trolls this evening if you're free. It'll be a tavern trawling game.

Golgfag1

Final managed to get some of the pictures from the Halloween bash down loaded, re-sized and up--loaded at lunch time so in no particular order:

Those who were there know what I mean. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• Get em, boys.jpg
    Get em, boys.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 2,842
  • Those pesky kids!.jpg
    Those pesky kids!.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 2,842
  • More pumpkins.jpg
    More pumpkins.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 2,842