Anyone for GROG? (Gloucesershire Retro & Oldhammer Gamers)

Harry

I would be interested in starting up the Gloucestershire Retro and Oldhammer Gamers for anyone interested in playing Oldhammer or other older games whilst enjoying a pint of old bastard.

I can host as I have a hobby room with a couple of tables, a large selection of old games and a few pints of old bastard in the fridge.

Anyone from my neck of the woods liking the sound of that?

Erny

Re: Anyone for GROG? (Gloucesershire Retro & Oldhammer Gamer

I'm not from your neck of the woods but I do like the sound of that. Good luck with GROG.

Norse

Count me in!

Do you know any of the lot that game at the Patch on a Monday? Some of them might well be interested.

Harry

Erny":3tkolpuh said:
I'm not from your neck of the woods but I do like the sound of that. Good luck with GROG.
Thanks very much ... and good luck with your "Allied contingent".
I can see a time when you fellas are invited up for a some GROG.

Harry

Norse":5222k7nb said:
Count me in!

Do you know any of the lot that game at the Patch on a Monday? Some of them might well be interested.
Excellent ... and then we were two. :grin:

No I don't. Didn't even know there was a gaming group at the Patch.
Although when I have been there I have been drinking Black Rat so there is a good chance it was a gaming night and I just can't remember. :?

I guess the thing to do is once we have sorted ourselves out and have a couple of nice armies and some nice scenery ... and know the rules a bit. :grin: ... so can put on a good show we could head down set up and play a game pin our colours to the mast and see who takes an interest.

Norse

Sounds like a good plan.

I used to go a long time ago, haven't been in ages but I know they still play. I stopped going about the same time as everyone got interested in Field of Glory (which I can't stand).

Played some great narrative games of AK47 and some Sudan thing and all sorts back then, I think they might have gone back to playing more interesting things than Field of Glory again now. They also run a Hordes of the Things tournament there every year.

Harry

Norse":5z9fs7s2 said:
Sounds like a good plan.

I used to go a long time ago, haven't been in ages but I know they still play. I stopped going about the same time as everyone got interested in Field of Glory (which I can't stand).

Played some great narrative games of AK47 and some Sudan thing and all sorts back then, I think they might have gone back to playing more interesting things than Field of Glory again now. They also run a Hordes of the Things tournament there every year.
From your posts and PM's you seem to have played a remarkable number of systems.I don't have anything like your experience of gaming. I am more of a collector and painter.

There was a Warhammer club in Dursley they met in town somewhere but it fell apart because the guys running it got fed up with having to sort out all the kids. With them and a couple of the older lads they got on with we set up another club for a while ... but didn't advertise the fact. It was great. We played a bit of Warhammer, 40K, Bloodbowl etc. But that started to break down as so many of us found it hard to turn up every week. Busy lives, wives, children, work .....

Can I suggest we only try to get together monthly or even once every two months.
So if we meet at the Foundry event ... last day of August ... two months takes us to the last day of October/start of November. We Could do last day of October would be a Thursday if we want a week night (Halloween! Got to play an undead scenario ... "The night of the living Lead" :grin: ) or Saturday 2nd of November if we want a weekend. Both are fantastic for me as that falls in Half term.

Then again would be the end of December/start of January. Don't know what you do around Christmas but we could plan the "I'm dreaming of a lead Christmas" meeting. Best for me would be that gap between Christmas and New Year .... but I am pretty easy because again it is school holidays.

As one of the other fellas said on another thread there is nothing like a deadline to get your arse into gear.

I'll be painting Undead for "The night of the living lead" and Elves for "I'm dreaming of a lead Christmas"

Norse

I guess I have played quite a lot of different games. It's all research!

Sounds good to me, perhaps with the occasional extra related item at my regular Tuesday club (AHQ, roleplaying bit or whatever). Depending on the days, we might be able to get one or two of the guys from that club to join us for Night of the Living Lead and/or Dreaming of a Lead Christmas. Or if we manage to find anyone else. Would be good to be able to have a referee (I'm happy to do that, although I also like playing sometimes too).

For Night of the Living Dead I'm seeing rival Necromancers fighting through the streets of a small town at night on Geheimnisnacht, perhaps with a small party of confused adventurers trying to survive the night in the middle. Perhaps beginning only with equal level Necromancers, with troops coming only from spells or something?

For Dreaming of a Lead Christmas I think a party of naughty goblins, disappointed that santa has denied them presents this year, could perhaps be launching a raid on santa's camp?

Plenty of time to plan those anyway.

As long as we keep the engagements quite small (20 or so a side, perhaps more for the undead) I'll be able to provide some opposing undead and goblins for those two games.

Harry

Well I do know another bloke (from the club I mentioned who I think would be up for this) which would give a third person ... but then if some of you mates would be up for this .... all good. Who knows maybe someone else will find us through the forum.

I am loving you ideas for the scenarios ... excited already.

Your ideas reminded me ... I do have these for the "I'm dreaming of a lead Christmas" event:

I painted up this guy:

IMG_2476.jpg

and a unit of rangers to go with him:

IMG_2482.jpg

BACKGROUND/THEME: The saga of Julenissen Frost. (Yule to his friends. AKA Grandfather Frost). He is Dwarf Thane and whilst not the Lord of his stronghold he had the honour of bearing the holds standard. However, one winter on the night before the great feast, his hold was attacked by a band of evil goblins and the whilst the Dwarfs swiftly took up arms in defence of their hold Julenissen lost the holds ancient runic standard. In the same night he also lost most of his kin. As a dreadful fire swept through part of the hold. In his shame and grief he was going to shave his head and take the slayer oath but the last surviving member of his family, his granddaughter, persuaded him not to do this and instead to avenge their loved ones and regain his honour by finding, and slaying the goblins and recovering the holds standard. So it was that he, together with a small band of loyal warriors, became Grandfather Frosts rangers. (One of the most renowned bands of rangers ever formed). He is always accompanied by his granddaughter ‘Snegi rocka’. (The regiments leader and champion). They continually search the Worlds Edge mountains always appearing from the wilderness the night before battle to join any Dwarf army facing green skins in the hope of recovering the lost standard. Whist they have never found the band of Goblins or the standard which they seek they have slain so many of their foul kin in the search that they now have earned place of honour in any Dwarf hold. They return home only once a year when they appear on the eve of the great winter feast with sacks of gifts, collected on their travels, which they give to the Dwarf children.

There is a well known Dwarf Poem written about Grandfather Frosts appearances :

He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot,_And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;_A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,_And he looked like a pedlar just opening his sack. _His eyes how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!_His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry;_His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,_And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow._The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, _And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath._He had a broad face, and a little round belly_That shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly._He was chubby and plump,--a right jolly old Dwarf--_And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself.

Goblins v's Dwarves it is!
We can reply the events of that dreadful night or we can act out the next chapter in the saga of Julenissen Frost and discover what happens when he finally catches up with those evil goblins ... will he regain his standard and his honour or be forced to shave his head in shame?

Erny

Night of the living lead...

Does that make plastic skelles Un-lead?

Norse

Erny":3vwx2g10 said:
Night of the living lead...

Does that make plastic skelles Un-lead?

Indeed! But what about white-metal?

I reckon level 15 necromancers with any ordinary gear you like, but no magic items, and all their spells must be taken from the necromancy list. That'll just about give you access to the interesting level 2 necromancy spells, without things getting too much. Do we alter the Summon Skeleton spell to also allow 2d6 zombie summoning? It is the Night of the Living Lead after all... Either that or have unaligned roving packs of zombies, just waiting for the use of a Control Undead spell!

Edit: That's an amazing looking bunch of dwarves! Alas, my painting is nowhere near that quality (being more of a gamer than a collector or painter)!

Norse

Oh dear, I need help.

http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/25mm-fantasy-undead

Can someone please remind me that, no matter how charming I find the Essex fantasy range, that £2.20+ a go for objectively sub-standard miniatures is just too much? Especially when I have dozens of mantic plastic skeletons hanging around that need painting and using for something exactly like this scenario...

Harry

Lead=Dead
Plastic=Undead
White metal=I wish I was dead
Finecast=Dead in the water.

You understand when I said night of the living lead ... it was just cos it rhymed with dead' ..I have never even watched the movie....so not bothered about zombies ... in fact it suits me as I have loads of skellies finished but no zombies. I do have a small number of ghouls. I am all for using whatever minis we have and writting the rules to suit .... its how we did it back in the old days. :grin:

Not to worry about the painting ... you bring the GM skills I'll bring the eye candy. It sounds like our skill sets compliment each other ... we should be a perfect team. :grin:

If minis are no good they are over priced at 20p each if you can't stand looking at them ... you have to decide if you like them enough to pay £2.20 each. But seeing as you can pay that for old Citadel and Marauder stuff on e-bay I know where my money would be spent.

Norse

Yeah, skeletons would be a lot more convenient. I have a few zombies about though if we wanted to use them as NPCs.

That's the problem, I could look at those Essex miniatures all day, but I know that other players are likely to find them less appealing. But the price tag really is a little much. As you say, plenty of old citadel and marauder lead available at a lot lower price than that. Especially when I'm trying to put together a squad of rogue trader eldar.

Mantic skellies it is!

Harry

Delighted to say we got together for some GROG last night.
GROG's had their first Game of Oldhammer 3rd Edition last night ....
.. and we even squeezed in a game of Heroquest.
Happy Days. :grin:

Battle report from Norse to follow.

Norse

Indeed, I enjoyed myself anyway.

We had 2 players and myself reffing; a small raiding part of Chaos Warrior's during the razing of the Norscan community of Orcs-Knee.

A few picture highlights attached, as the battle report may be a little while in coming.

Attachments

• jsw_20130820_201051.jpg
    jsw_20130820_201051.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,646
  • jsw_20130820_205044.jpg
    jsw_20130820_205044.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,646
  • jsw_20130820_210623.jpg
    jsw_20130820_210623.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,646

Chico

Good job lads, glad you guys had fun :)

Erny

Orc-knee I like it, your norse, Norse?

Is that a grenadier chaos warrior?

Norse

My Norse and my Chaos, easier to set up a scenario with your own miniatures.

It is indeed a grenadier chaos warrior! In fact, it is 3 grenadier chaos warriors! There are 2 more in the full army as well.

Or, to be more accurate, they were purchased from here:

http://www.battlezone-miniatures.co.uk/

Who seem to have a lot of Grenadier's moulds. I have an original grenadier one or two about the place, but as I could get new ones painted those instead.

The Grenadier Chaos Warriors are probably my favourite miniatures of all time, and fantastically easy to paint!

Another photo:

Attachments

• jsw_20130820_212512.jpg
    jsw_20130820_212512.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,634

Erny

Battle zone miniatures are a bunch of lads from Royston who bought the Grenadier UK molds, the Italian set up brought the US molds. Anyway nice lads but they only play AoA which they also bought the rights to. I must get round to getting the elves they do.

With them and Otherworld I think Royston is the new Nottingham for old school minis :grin: .

Back on track I look forward to seeing more.

Back