Hell's Oldhammerers: East Anglia/Cambridge (ish) Chapter

Orlygg

Jokey thread title aside. I live in Braintree, Essex. I have troops. I want to play with likeminded 'sufferers' in my immediate area. Who is within reasonable distance here then? We need to get ourselves organised enough to have regular games, even if they are bi monthly, though monthly would probably be better? Could we use a venue? Or should it be held at member's homes like in the old days, perhaps on a rotary system?

Who's up for this?

lenihan

I knew there was some point to my living in Cambridge! I am definitely up for this, my current oldhammer time quotient is being used painting troops for Nottingham otherwise I'd probably already have arranged a game with one of you neighbours. In principle I like the idea of going round people's houses, although I am moving soon and don't yet have a clue what kind of space will be available in my new place.

One thing that I thought might be nice is if we tried to cultivate a relationship with the local stockists of blisterpacks of metal toy soldiers, Inner Sanctum Collectables, as they have space for gaming, and I think the idea of having a good old fashioned games shop as a focal point is a nice one, as I really believe independent shops deserve our support. Now, while it's possible that they won't see the point of hosting people who are playing a games system they don't support with a particular sales line, I think the fact that it would bring people in to buy painting supplies and to browse and make purchases from the figures they have on display means that they could see it as to their benefit?

Or if we ever need a massive playing space with lots of tables pushed together, we could always use the seminar room in my University department, nobody's ever specifically told me I can't go in there on a Saturday and use the room to play with toy soldiers!

Orlygg

Gaming in Cambridge Uni? Very high brow! Glad to have you aboard. I am going to go out on a limb and say I will house the first game, and probably devise the scenario as GM. I just need other players!

Erny

:grin:

Well I've hardly not muted this myself, indeed the first meet up was being planned for after Oldhammer weekend to be held at the Cambridge games club. We can get the hall at very reasonable rates on a weekend or there is always the regular club night. Anyway only interest has been shown so far and no dates set.

Inner sanctum would not be high on my list of venues, the parking is atrocious and the closest they come to what we do is Hoards or WHFRP 3rd ed. Neither of which are that close.

I have talked to Richard of Otherworld miniatures and he is passing interested in Oldhammer his true love obviously being DnD. He has offered (again only in passing) to host some gaming for us at his premises. Worth doing if only to see all his lovely toys. Making old hammer warbands out of his own collection was also mentioned and I guess you don't get much more modern yet old school than that. I'd never see this as a regular occurrence but something worth trying, I'll bring it up next time I see him. Of course as he is now bringing out a skirmish rules set he may not be so interested.

Orlygg

Glad to hear about something being afoot in Cambridge. Nothing gets people talking and motivated about something like a deadline or date, so perhaps we should set one and get on with it.

Erny

I was thinking the week after the oldhammer weekend, just a school night foray as I've used up a considerable number of weekend brownie points on a full weekend away.

On a slightly different note I should like to propose we keep our name in keeping with the other Acronym based names cropping up but keep Hell's Oldhammeres as a moto:
How about

OGRE: Oldhammer Gaming, Region: East anglian
Moto: Hell's Oldhammerers. (I can see a pretty good regional logo here to knock seven shades out of the other ones.)

Or/and (possibly as sub divisions)

COG : Cambridge Oldhammer Gamers
BOG : Bedfordshire Oldhammer Gamers (my brother, all games here will be BOG standard)
HOG : Herts Oldhammer Gamers (any games at my house)
EGO: Essex Games Oldhammer

Harry

Good luck with your 'group'.

Defo think we should refer to our groups as "Allied contingents".

I can certainly imagine a time when you guys will be invited up for a pint of GROG

How about SNOG ... Southern Nancy Oldhammer Gammers. ;)

Hi, been on the facebook group for a while but just signed up here. I'm only half an hour from Cambridge so could I join in with any oldhammer shenanigans that are happening? I reckon I can field an Empire army and a Bretonian army along with mercenaries and Aliies. In the long term I'll end up with a chaos army as well. I'd be really keen to play Rogue trader as well and I could supply figs, scenarios and scenery as well as gm'ing. Am I coming across too keen?

Erny

Hi Wiskey Priest,

Never to keen, I'm in Roysyton myself and there are two other oldhammerers in Cambridge/near Cambridge, I'm certain if we started playing at the Cambridge wargames club a few old hands would come out of the wood work too.

Your best bet to get a game in soon would be to join one of us Cambridge axis types at the club for a game. I shall be going down next Monday thoiugh will be playing an old friend at 2nd ed 40K. Convince lenihan or Bug16 to go and you have a game next Monday. We can sort something out in the near future to get the Essex boy in too!

bug16

Erny":2hh95cjh said:
Hi Wiskey Priest,

Never to keen, I'm in Roysyton myself and there are two other oldhammerers in Cambridge/near Cambridge, I'm certain if we started playing at the Cambridge wargames club a few old hands would come out of the wood work too.

Your best bet to get a game in soon would be to join one of us Cambridge axis types at the club for a game. I shall be going down next Monday thoiugh will be playing an old friend at 2nd ed 40K. Convince lenihan or Bug16 to go and you have a game next Monday. We can sort something out in the near future to get the Essex boy in too!

Unfortunately I can't do Mon 2nd, assuming that's the Monday you're suggesting as we're doing out of hours system upgrades on my servers which means a late night sat at work. Woo-hoo! :(

Monday is a bit tricky for me too as it's first day back at work and then 3 kids to put to bed. What time is the club on and where is the venue?

Erny

The Scout Centre/Logans Way
Cambridge CB4 1BL, United Kingdom

Google Map Link
http://google/maps/VG1JN

7.00 pm-10.00 pm

Although nominally the clubs chair I haven't been more than once or twice in the past couple of years for similar kid related reasons. I'm going to try to get down there semi regularly, trade off with the wife as she wants to go running Saturday mornings.
With four of us living within 30 mins of each other we have to sort out something.

Back