OGRE

Since it seems that there are so many of us in the beds/herts/cambs area we should probably be a bit better about organising games between each other. I know myself that having a potential game is a huge motivating factor for getting stuff painted. I've got a bit of an issue with a child on the way but that's a couple of months away and we all know it's not the end of the world. If we can arrange games at each other houses then it'll help to tie the group together a bit more and make larger meet ups easier as well, leading to us not having to rely on BOYL once a year. Obviously we are all men and are a bit funny about talking to other people without a drink in our hands we could organise a social as well in order to meet up and organise face to face. Of course the biggest issue is usually convincing our other half that we know this other bloke well enough to bring back to the house! No love, he's not a random stranger, no, he doesn't smell, yes, he is house trained etc etc

So, how shall we proceed?
Big meet up with minis?
Big meet up with some beer?
Little meet ups ?
Individual games?

Let's get our shit together and make this a proper gaming group.

Erny

I have the ideas, I have the miniatures, I even have the time, sort of. My biggest problem is arranging an evening when the wife is out so I can invite you over mine to the Kitchen everyone talks about. Our house is open plan down stairs so gaming with mates and wife watching (insert junk US cop show here) just doesn't work.

She is off on a long weekend holiday with her sister soon so with kids in bed for 7.00 I could definitely invite you all over. I am I guess on the far eastern fringe of our little cluster so perhaps no the best location anyway. All that driving will cut down on any beers and the trains round here just don't run in the right direction.

Anyway I'll let yo know the date, I'll prod the Mrs now to find out.

On the other hand I can make myself available for evening gaming fairly easily at other peoples houses, just need enough warning.

Oh and obviously the Cambridge club is available every Monday, distance may be a bit much for some though. I will try and get good warning on when it is having its next an all day session however.

Erny

The evenings I'll have a available, wife free house are the 18th,19th and 20th of September. Please let me know if your are interested and if you have a preference for a given evening.

Snickit

I'm there (and on here now too).

I cna also do some small group gaming at mine, depding on size of games, i reckon if we kept it smallish (and therefore small battlefields, say 1000 to 1500pts a side) I could squeeze in up to threee games (two on a large dinning table and one one coffee table).

My other half works some nights up until 9:30 and so if we got cracking I reckon we could do it so long as pre-battle stuff like lists, spells etc..... were done before hand.

lenihan

I'm certainly keen and I'm usually quite flexible in terms of when I am able to play games (as long as its not too frequent, nobody cries foul). Unfortunately our house is much too small to host anything beyond the tiniest skirmish game, but I would be happy to seek out other locations in Cambridge.

Ideally what I would love to see happening is some kind of campaign. Doesn't have to be on a massive scale, just something that would appeal to my campaigning instincts!

antipixi

whiskey priest":bsbkmwpb said:
The 18th would probably be best for me but the 19th is also a possibility ( depending if the kids go to bed without hassle :grin: )

Pretty much the same as this.

antipixi

Snickit":1sx6y0hl said:

I cna also do some small group gaming at mine, depding on size of games, i reckon if we kept it smallish (and therefore small battlefields, say 1000 to 1500pts a side) I could squeeze in up to threee games (two on a large dinning table and one one coffee table).

My other half works some nights up until 9:30 and so if we got cracking I reckon we could do it so long as pre-battle stuff like lists, spells etc..... were done before hand.

So I guess I had better paint about 1000pnts fairly sharpish! :razz:

Snickit

antipixi":10anwlv3 said:
Snickit":10anwlv3 said:

So I guess I had better paint about 1000pnts fairly sharpish! :razz:

If you're doing Chaos then that's a cinch, just do a few knights! I only suggested 1000pts as a rough idea but they're pretty funky armies to be fair, there was an awesome Marauder Dark Elf army back in the day that was just 1000pts and consisted of a Level 15 General, a level 10 Wizard, a level 5 Champion, 5 Doomdrakes, 15 Warriors, 10 Crossbowmen and 10 Witch Elves. That sort of size is do-able in a few weeks.

Skirmish sized games of course also work.

Could also do multiple Warhammer Border Patrol and 40k in 40 minutes games - both cracking concepts.

I agree with the campaign idea. Online maps work but if we wanted to go simpler then 5th edition had a really nice simple campaign system (that became even simpler in 6th) that would work nicely. It worked on the principle of owning Territories that gave you access to less or more troops of a particular type. There was a slightly more complicated version for historical armies in the Warhammer Ancients system that could be squished together with the Warhammer Fantasy version to give a bit more of a restricted selection (it added plains territories to limit cavalry for example).

The Female of the Household also works every other weekend so could potentially do a Saturday or a Sunday every other week and she's there 2:30 till 9:30 so we could get some good gaming time in then.

Definitely interested in participation of some kind but hosting poses the usual space issues for most houses built over the past quarter century in that we don't really have much (don't even have a cupboard in which I can stash the wife for a few hours :shock: )

Depending on what happens if we wanted to arrange a larger game sometime then I can look to book a hall for a few hours one Saturday at a location just South of Bedford at what I am lead to believe is reasonable cost.

1000pts seems reasonable enough, I'll try and get some green skins done in time but I can always fall back on the Brets if my time management is crap. :grin:

Chico

Sorry to butt in on you guys playing with your Ogre, but if you are ever alot further south there is a large gaming club/ hall in Watford which is happy to except Oldhammerererers.

Erny

The very easiest of campaigns to get everyone involved in would be a RoC warband campaign. I have room for several 4'x4' boards at my place.

Failing that we could easily bash out a narative campaign.

Or I have plans for a sort of Oldhammer Quest game in my Dungeon, Wahahahahaha:

DSCN2162_zpsde526c4d.jpg

DSCN2157_zps09ba4375.jpg

DSCN2155_zpsc46e3bb3.jpg

DSCN2154_zpsa58551e2.jpg

Nice dungeon! I'd quite like a narrative campaign of some sort, I'm gonna get my half orcs done and maybe a marsh troll. Add that to my black orcs and I'll have a nice little starter army. After that I can add in a unit of hobgobs and then some mounted hobgobs. The plan is to keep going after that.

Snickit

antipixi":1wp01e5z said:
Oldhammer Quest sounds like a winner to get us started. Also, very happy to do RoC warbands.

Could go the Advanced Heroquest route and that has nothing at all to do with the leaning towards Skaven as the evil dudes that AHQ brings!

Erny

OK seams Thursday the 18th September is the more popular date. If I do a bit of old hammer quest do you guys want to bring your own hero or tell me what you want and i'll supply the miniature? It could give me an excuse to paint up my Otherworld adventures or breack out the old citadel ADnD stuff. We'll role up the charecters useing the big orange book on the night.

lenihan

If we're going down that route (which I certainly approve of), I think probably I'd like to bring my own mini. Having never played the game before, what are my options, so that I can bring something suitable?

Back