Anyone in Wilts Somerset Dorset area? Was going to call it W

DrM

Anyone in Wilts/Somerset/Dorset area? Was thinking Wiltshire Oldhammer Gamers, but that's definitely not cool, then nor is Wiltshire Oldhammer Players... will need to think of a name with an acceptable acronym!

weazil

Re: Anyone in Wilts Somerset Dorset area? Was going to call

Yeah - I ran into the same problem when considering the name for Wiltshire. Hmmm...

Anyway, I bottled and formed HOG instead, which can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2070

Now that won't be of especial interest to you I don't think, except that I live right on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border (the northern tip of the New Forest) and so could scrape my way up to your part of the world in about an hour. That's how I was able to choose either Wiltshire or Hampshire when naming the group :)

But you might also be interested in these groups:

The BOG (Bristol group): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2070
The GROG (Gloucestershire) group: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=798

What games (and armies) would you be into?

weazil

Oh - and hi and welcome and warm regards and all that stuff. Good to have you along!

DrM

Thanks Weazil, good to meet you too.

Yeah, North end of New Forest isn't too far away from me, I live near Warminster, used to commute down your way for work. Bristol and Glous. are getting a bit far for regular games.

As for games, I'm interested in playing just about anything Fantasy.

In last year I've been rewriting Lorenzo Sartori's Impetus for Fantasy, and rebasing my old school Warhammer (Oldhammer) armies to match, which may be a problem with standard Warhammer. The plan was to provide everything for players (and myself) to play complete battles in a 2-3 hour slot. I've got quite a few figures set aside for it, 28 armies in total (only about 6/7 totally painted and based so far though!), so there's not going to be any shortage of options. Please take a look at my introduction in the Introductions board for more info. - just been discussing all this with arp_1983 on there, so no point in writing it all out again.

weazil

Hi there

Good news! My main poison is also fantasy gaming, with my current favourite ruleset being the evergreen, everclunky and wholly confusing Warhammer Fantasy Battles 3rd Edition. That said, always open to new ideas - I've not ever explored the Impetus ruleset. I'll read through your intro thread to catch up on that.

In terms of a good time to get together, I would suspect September is probably a safe time to attempt - I've spent all my August brownie points going to BOYL, I'm afraid. Do you have a table and space to game? Do you play at a club?

DrM

I have space at the moment, lots actually, and am setting up a dedicated 'gaming room' in a spare bedroom, all I need are a couple of boards for the table now. Apologies for the long story, but it might make me seem a little less mad if I explain: the partner and I split up around March, and she and the two step sons moved out, leaving me and my son from former relationship in a four bedroom house, so space isn't a problem. The main reason I haven't done any gaming for a long time was my ex-partner's issues and insecurities, and anxieties/autism of one of her sons (I tried hard with the pair of them, but I can't say it's not a relief they're gone). Apart from anything else, have finally had a chance to get the armies out of deep storage and start thinking seriously about gaming again.

Because I'm resident parent to my young son, I'm wary about having strangers in the house - sorry if that sounds rude, but if you have kids I'm sure you understand. So, do like to meet people elsewhere for a game, or two, before using the home. There are a couple of local gaming clubs, I used to attend, but haven't been to either for several years, due to ex-partner calling me on the mobile every 10 seconds whenever I left the house.

Played WH 3rd Edition many times back in the day, my only issue is I don't have many figures still based for it, but if you have figures would be happy to play it. I do have scenery for it though and I think I still have some scenarios/campaigns too...

Back