N.O.G.G. - Nottingham Oldhammer Gaming Group

Skarsnik

Hey guys

Sorry about the radio silence, I've been busy buying a house.

Seems that most people's preferred location is in or around central Nottingham, so I've looked at a few places.

There is a new gaming evening just started on Mondays in a room under Annie's Burger Shack in town. I'm not sure if it's mini gaming or just board gaming though.

There is also apparently a gaming group that meets in the White Hart in Lenton (About 5 minutes walk from Warhammer World for those that know it). I'm just waiting for confirmation of when they meet at the moment.

The other option is to start something of our own. There are several places which have free or very cheap rooms, and it means we could organise things to suit ourselves rather than work around anyone else.

Oh, and of course there is always Warhammer World itself, but that would mean only using citadel models, which I know would be a problem for some.

Any preferences?

I probably couldn't commit to a regular gaming group, one that met monthly for example. Personally I'd be looking to get together 2 - 4 times a year. Venue-wise I wouldn't have a preference. Gaming with citadel-only figures wouldnt be a problem for me so WW would be fine, but I can see how it might be a problem for others.

Gobbo

The White Hart group are a Historical Wargaming group that generally meet alternate Thursdays it's usually over-subscribed.. The pub in Sneinton sounds a good option to me.

Paul

JP.

Stumble Inn Long Eaton is free if people buy drinks (surely not a problem). Very friendly pub which Ive used for War & Peace / Sanctioned Chaos games clubs in the past.

NOTE: I'm not saying I'll organise it, but would be happy to help if it were a monthly meet

Scalene

My availability isn't great (family and work), but it would be good to do a game at least every couple of months. Previously Foundry have said they would be happy to host games inc. evening ones. That's a bit of a way out but it's a quick journey, and they have tables and scenery, which would save set up time. I could also put up a table in my brick shed (Lowdham), but it's a bit of a mess in there at the moment, so not ideal. Thursday nights are probably my best week day. Maybe we should start by trying to find a time slot and then work out a venue with whoever is available. Aim for about two or three weeks time - close enough to stop it drifting but enough time to get organised.

Skarsnik

Yeah, I think a few ad-hoc meet ups might be good to begin with, before we start thinking about organising something more regular.

If that's the case then maybe we should be looking at venues which already have facilities, so we can just turn up and play, rather than worrying about boards and terrain.

I guess that means either; Foundry, Warhammer World (which has a very restricted number of tables at the moment due to refurbishments) or Slayer gaming in Mansfield Woodhouse.

Unfortunately I'm currently in the process of buying and selling houses, so my time for organising will be limited for the next 6-8 weeks or so. If someone would like to pick up the baton in the meantime, please fell free, otherwise I will pick up the organisation when I have a bit more time.

Skarsnik & Old Lead":7ldhx1el said:
If we're going for a room above a pub, I'm sure we can find somewhere nicer than Sneinton :grin:

I was going to say, if i'm driving, and bringing a bunch of stuff, there's no way I'm parking in Sneinton. I used to live there, and know what it's like... ;)

Personally, I'd suggest Warhammer World as a starter venue, possibly even just for a small 'bring a warband' event, (everyone must have at least a dozen GW figures ;) ) or even just a 'social' to plan for an actual event.

Personally, Foundry is out for a number of reasons, not least the fact it'd be weekends only, and it's also in the middle of the outback. Pubs are awkward, mainly as some poor sod will have to bring all the boards and scenery, let alone their figures.

Gobbo

It would appear we are talking ourselves into an introductory meet at WHW or Bugmans just to decide on a date and what games we want to play.

Thursdays & Sundays are out for me, Wednesday or Tuesday are probably my best re availabilty

OK so intial meetup at WHW, only preference so far correlated against later opening would mean a wednesday, which suits me too. Although they may make up pay, as I think it is club night. But if we just turn up and refuse to pay citing "we didnt know" we will get away with it easily. Thats what I have done in the past on a wednesday.

As for an actual game, I endorse a "bring a warband" thing, could do 2 sides and play a big game? Can we do it Oldhammer style and be really vague and fun with the warbands? I would propose a small force, so a single unit of human equivalent plus champion. Or, well something analogous. SO like 15 or 20 models, plus or minus with some fun stuff, no restrictions other than make a force suitable for easy laid back couple of hours. Just bring your favoured models! Rule of cool.

I also vote for 40k rogue trader as the rule set.

Skarsnik

A Wednesday would be good for me too. You don't have to pay to play either. We might want to book a table in advance though, as space is severely limited during the renovations.

I'd be happy to play rogue trader, although I might have to borrow some toys as all my painted stuff is WFB and my painting gear is currently packed away ready for house moving.

JP.

Depending when it is, I might come along just to meet people and have a beer as I've no RT models...

...yet ;)

Scalene

I have plenty of rogue trader models, but Wednesday is wife's dance class night = delicate negotiation over childcare. What sort of start time? The earlier the better for me. I might be able to turn up early and set up.

I can do early, I can stay late. I am happy to work out a scenario or 40kRT and bring enough figures for an hour or so of gaming, so basically GM. I know the rules pretty thoroughly too.

Although I am amenable for fantasy or any game depending on what folks want to bring.

Either way, Im happy to game/drink. I will phone GW tomorrow or over the weekend to get a schedule of free table time for us, what date do we have in mind? Next week?

JP.

I start a new job next week so won't be able to commit just yet until I know schedules and drive times back from Derby.

llamafish

I be interested in this, I will be honest now and say I havent played any RT. But more interested in finding a local gaming group that allows none GW models to be used! Initially meeting up at gw makes sense for ease!

Should NOGG kick off, would they be much resistance too others that like to play newer editions? I for example have to travel to Mansfield for games...

I am not adverse to version. Lets face it, its the attitude to gaming NOT the vintage of the rule set. Old in attitude means mature, fun gaming. Its about mind set not special rules!

Back