Knavecon Scenario

cheetor

theottovonbismark":3gnu545c said:
Actually what we are really looking for are some suitable livestock types rather than anything specifically froggy - I just happened to be working on a Giant Frog and was hoping to get it done enough for it to stand in for cows.

I see. I thought that maybe the frogs were for use as some sort of hidden Slann movement counters or something. Despite the halfling culinary skills and geographical location, the farming of snakes and lizards would spoil the atmosphere a little I think.

You possibly have some suitable models in your collection that might do for halfling farm animals? I was thinking of the Dungers a little, but they might look a bit off given the contex.

As I go out of my way to paint most of those sorts of models to not look like repurposed fantasy/real world animals I think that most of my models would also ruin the vibe a bit.

Sheep is done. Probably I will just try to lash off these in 2 different colours (black ones worth more points).

Thats the best approach at this point I think.

Just John

theottovonbismark":1vyfsysr said:
I will have a look at the handout in this afternoon as soon as I get the monkeys off my back for the day ;)

If you just put your side together I can put the 2 sides together and do the printing and laminating

cheetor

A good write up Mr S, nice one.

Mr Saturday":1x4jd852 said:
I'm sure there will be more from my confederates presently.

As my role for the day was merely that of eye-candy, draping myself across the table provocatively like a magicians assistant rather than contributing anything tangible, I was reluctant to appear to be taking credit. But I put up a small post that links to your more comprehensive account of the day anyway as I reckon that the work that you guys put in deserves as much exposure as possible. Custom cast sheep, an entirely unique Fimir force, the only painted slann in the country and a fully populated halfling town fer chrissakes.

knavecon2014a.jpg

Proof that all four of us occupied the same geographical location, those are, from left to right, avatars of the following Oldhammerers (flanked by miniature "miniature sheep"): theottovonbismark, me, Mr Saturday, Just John.

Blue in VT

hhehehe...great family photo!

All really great figures with excellent paintjobs.

I'm glad you boys had fun.

Blue

Just John

We had a blast and I'm looking forward to doing it all again. Great work lads, all that playtesting we did before hand really showed on the day :lol:

Oh and at this point I'd like to thank Erny who helped with the buildings of Conflagration-on-Sea and point out that there were a disturbing number of back stabbing pyromaniacs who participated on the day.

Mr Saturday

We dun gud, so we did.

There WAS a rather high proportion of Trogdor style burninators amongst the players. I'm certainly up for the next one, whatever that may be.

Ahh so Erny was helping out with the buildings. The worked really well I thought, easy to suspend disbelief. The cotton wool burning special effects definitely added to the magic considerably.

I enjoyed the look on the faces of the players when we let them know that some of the Slann were carrying weaponry from the 41st millennium :o .

My favorite part, aside from the power fist punching Slann warleader, was firing the graviton gun in anger - probably that hasn't happened in public in Ireland in 25 years!

Just John

theottovonbismark":1yv7vj2m said:
The cotton wool burning special effects definitely added to the magic considerably.

Actually the cotton wool was Teddy Bear stuffing from one that was ritually sacrificed to the gaming gods. Strangely pleasing slicing one open for spare parts :twisted:

cheetor

Just John":36krocxj said:
We had a blast and I'm looking forward to doing it all again. Great work lads, all that playtesting we did before hand really showed on the day :lol:

The inability to fully playtest something like this is common: opportunities to get properly stuck in to luxuries like playtesting are rare for most people. I think you have to be sensible and not overreach.

I think the fact that the day went well was a testament to the sound decisions that you guys made about the scenario based on prior experience. Its easy to plan something unrealistically large/complex and watch it crash and burn on the day. Its hard to plan something more realistic, stick to your guns and then watch it come together instead (this excludes last minute sheep).

Just John":36krocxj said:
Oh and at this point I'd like to thank Erny who helped with the buildings of Conflagration-on-Sea

Good stuff Erny! The game simply wouldnt have worked without them.

Just John

Indeed,my biggest worry was that the players wouldn't be able to achieve their goals in the given time but we had it almost right and a little adjustment to the movement rates on the day solved that. Definitely the jey is to keep it simple.

Back