Calling all Irish Oldhammerers

Just John

Just wondering how many of us are on the island of Saints and Scholars now and do we have enough for an All-Ireland Oldhammer fight to the death yet? Reveal yourselves and speak up, a chairde!

Harry

I am not in Ireland ... but I could be.
A weekend of Guinness and Games is a tempter. :grin:

Just John

OK so far we have Leinster & Munster covered plus a potential foreign invader! :grin: Things are looking up. Now just waiting for Queen Maeve & Cuchulainn to turn up.

BTW - living on the island makes you Irish enough (yes Mr Git, I'm looking at you). Having drunk a pint of Guinness somewhere doesn't!

Asslessman

Just John":2n6gwq2w said:
BTW - living on the island makes you Irish enough (yes Mr Git, I'm looking at you). Having drunk a pint of Guinness somewhere doesn't!

Do my 3 months raising greyhounds in Kildare and learnig how to say "shite" count? :roll:

Anyway, I hope you guys the best and good luck on getting this sessair McRoth guy...

Just John

They have greyhounds in Kildare? I thought it was all just horses and silver! However learning to say shite properly does qualify you as an honorary Gaelgoir.

Erny

Every Oldhammer region needs an acronym may I suggest:

Gaelic Oldhammer Battles Organisation or GOBO. You need another B really but it works as is.

Aiteal

Not sure about tying myself to a rock with a gae bulga in hand, but I'm often glued to a chair with a beer and paintbrush in hand

Just John

I'm sure thats an acceptable equivalent Aiteal. Thats 3 so far and I know there are at least 3 more on the forum. COme out come out wherever you are!

cheetor

Erny":5xfp699s said:
Every Oldhammer region needs an acronym may I suggest:

Gaelic Oldhammer Battles Organisation or GOBO. You need another B really but it works as is.

How about "GOB Shites"?

Im in West Cork by the way (and a long term toy soldier crony of theottovonbismark).

Just John

Welcome to the GOB Shites then. Its certainly Irish enough - or should it be GOWl's ? :grin:

C'mon I know there's more of you/us out there - I'm going to start naming names if you don't announce yourselves.

PS thanks Erny for the reminder about the name thing. GOBO is a good place to start anyhow

Just John

All welcome Mr Git, plastic or otherwise. As to what would be on the menu Mr Vole I'm not sure - this was mainly a call out to see who's who and where people are based. It would be good to meet up sometime though. I'll play anything so it wouldn't have to be fantasy at all. Can you book tables in Gamesworld?

Has anyone thought of taking a car over to Nottingham rather than flying? Easier to transport armies and bring new lead home :grin:

cheetor

thequestingvole":lnp29bl3 said:
I'm based in Dublin. Any idea what would be on the menu? Will it be a strictly fantasy event?

Im in a minority around these parts as I dont game with or collect fantasy miniatures, just science fantasy ones. A slim distinction, but at least my unfinished project list is half the length it could be :)
So I would push for any proposed future meet to consist at least in part of 41st millennium based activities.

Just John":lnp29bl3 said:
Has anyone thought of taking a car over to Nottingham rather than flying? Easier to transport armies and bring new lead home :grin:

I was in a car full of enthusiasts that drove to Nottingham via ferry for a 40k GT in February 1999. It was somewhat grueling to be honest and I was younger and more sociable then ( ;) ) but it is doable I suppose. Every time that I have traveled to Nottingham since was by air however.

theottovonbismark and I have been discussing options for a possible 2014 Oldhammer trip. If we were to run an event or something at Foundry then we would drive so as to transport the models/scenery required, but thats a big "if".

I flew to East Midlands from Cork a fortnight ago to do some hobby stuff (detailed HERE if anyone is interested). It was less hassle and I still managed to bring >10kg of swag home in my suitcase without sacrificing personal hygiene or requisite number of undergarments, so I would regard that as a better option. But YMMV of course :)

Just John

Hmm - hadn't quite considered the sociable side of things, we'd have to talk to each other wouldn't we? I do think that you have unknowingly hit on the perfect solution though. Draw straws and one person gets to drive all the shite over and back while the rest fly in luxury.

I would really like to head over there this time - I've never been to the Lead Belt as you call it. I've been to the Toy Soldier Factory down your neck of the woods a few times though.

As to a meet up - I'd play anything and would have no problem playing Sci-Fi. Of course there's always the option of a proper Rorkes Drift scenario with Space Marines vs Orcs (as opposed to Orks). I do have some 40K stuff painted up, most of it in the 80's but it still counts!

cheetor

Just John":2gjmjh1g said:
Hmm - hadn't quite considered the sociable side of things, we'd have to talk to each other wouldn't we? I do think that you have unknowingly hit on the perfect solution though. Draw straws and one person gets to drive all the shite over and back while the rest fly in luxury.

That is a particularly short straw... :)

I would really like to head over there this time - I've never been to the Lead Belt as you call it. I've been to the Toy Soldier Factory down your neck of the woods a few times though.

Prince August is about an hour from where I am based and its well worth a trip these days. Its much better than it used to be back in the 80s and 90s. They even have a very large stock of 1990s Warzone miniatures for those of you who dont mind mixing manufacturers when sci-fi Oldhammering (like me).

The Lead Belt (not my phrase by the way. I have seen it used a few times, so I thought it was common parlance in toy soldier circles. Maybe I was wrong) is definitely worth doing too, particularly if there is a day of Oldhammer on that weekend too. Foundry is a lovely chilled out place to visit and I enjoyed my tour around Mantics studio too. Whatever your feelings on modern GW are, the HQ is still worth a trip: the Citadel Miniatures hall has quite a few Oldhammer gems on display.

As to a meet up - I'd play anything and would have no problem playing Sci-Fi. Of course there's always the option of a proper Rorkes Drift scenario with Space Marines vs Orcs (as opposed to Orks). I do have some 40K stuff painted up, most of it in the 80's but it still counts!

Whatever people want is fine with me. I would just have far less interest in an exclusively fantasy meet, but if thats what the rest of the Shites wanted then thats fair enough too :)

ardyer

So the one time I was in Ireland I ended up talking to a Scot who drove to Ireland. From what I remember, the trick would be to take a van so you have space. Of course he had a huge English Shepard with him, do that might be why he was concerned about space ;)

Just John

ardyer":1lg9xpjn said:
Of course he had a huge English Shepard with him, do that might be why he was concerned about space ;)

I presume you mean a dog and not some gnarly auld fella he'd nabbed off a hillside and locked in the back of his van.

Back