Calling all Irish Oldhammerers

Asslessman

Sorry guys, I know my greyhound raising skills don't mean I can intrude here but you might want to have a chat with Suber (which happens to be a new member of ours) since he recently played this scenario (with mandatory terrain pieces).

Mr Saturday

I think its 55 marines and 65 or 70 orcs. Between us we could scrape that together I'm sure.

I have about 30-40 rt space marines. I've been toying with the idea of a Crimson fist force. I've been collecting the old Imperial marines for the first unit.

No wait, I won't be doing that as it's not allowed in certain territories worldwide, lol:

Yeah, they can be sticklers.

Well, depending on how you feel about working with "restic" parts it dawned on me recently that the various stages of infection in the "Plague" faction from the new Mantic Deadzone game have a lot in common with the generations of 'stealer infection.

Jaysus, you know what, it never dawned on to to use the plague guys for hybrids! The stage 3s are bleedin' perfect. An extra limb here, armoured spine there and voila. As mine are a Khorne (or maybe Tzeentch...) worshipping cult the mutation thing could creep in too. Nice one! Oddly enough, 'close enough' is something I've never associated with your work, which is, frankly, fantastic.

Just John

Asslessman":2ivbd5zh said:
Sorry guys, I know my greyhound raising skills don't mean I can intrude here but you might want to have a chat with Suber (which happens to be a new member of ours) since he recently played this scenario (with mandatory terrain pieces).

Oh don't worry about that we've handed out passports for less in the past. If you can answer 'Yes' to any of the following you can join

Are you Irish?
Have you been to Ireland?
Have you sunk a pint?
Can you point out Ireland on a map?

Thanks for the heads up re Suber

As for forces I have 30 or so plastic RT marines and 40 to 50 Orks if I ever get around to assembling the plastic box set.

Mr Saturday":1o4x35bl said:
As mine are a Khorne (or maybe Tzeentch...) worshipping cult the mutation thing could creep in too. Nice one! Oddly enough, 'close enough' is something I've never associated with your work, which is, frankly, fantastic.

Uh-ohhh mine are bunch of Slannesh worshipers (hence the pink limo)......this Alliance is looking amusingly shaky already :lol:

cheetor

Mr Saturday":1sxaxocb said:
Jaysus, you know what, it never dawned on to to use the plague guys for hybrids! The stage 3s are bleedin' perfect. An extra limb here, armoured spine there and voila.

Yep, they will make very convincing Hybrids. I reckon that the stage 1s will make good 1st gens, the awful Space Hulk plastic hybrids become 2nd gens, the stage 3 plague become 3rd gen hybrids and Bobs your interstellar hive mind space locust ancestor.

I didnt spot the obvious suitability for a while either. Its a wood-for-the-trees thing I think. The Plague are quite inexpensive as miniatures go too (and a lot more inexpensive than actual hybrid models), but they are restic, which while far from being an insurmountable problem, remains a bit of a drag.

As mine are a Khorne (or maybe Tzeentch...) worshipping cult the mutation thing could creep in too. Nice one!

I didnt realise that all of you crazy kids were going for the Chaos 'stealer covens :razz:

I was never that keen on that particular miniature sales ploy, despite its obvious Oldhammer heritage. Like "Harlequin Land Raiders" I file chaos stealer covens under "sales dominated idea best forgotten about". I suspect that I am in the minority in that regard however :lol:

To each their own and all that, but if/when I ever get around to doing something with my hybrids/plague I will be going for plain ol' just-waiting-for-the-hive-fleet-to-turn-up-and-definitely-havent-found-God genestealer coven. Which means that I wont be retreading ground with you guys at least.

Ugh, I hadnt the slightest urge to start work on a 'stealer cult for years until today. Must be strong, plenty of other stuff to do first.

Oddly enough, 'close enough' is something I've never associated with your work, which is, frankly, fantastic.

Thanks very much. I cut corners all the time and tend to see lots of room for improvement in my stuff. There isnt a hope in hell that I would have the patience that you have shown with your Fimir.

I go for project turnover rather than showpieces these days, if you get what I mean. Get inspired, paint 15-20 miniature strong skirmish force, move on, return to it for a similar duration again eighteen months later having worked on five other projects in the interim etc. Its actually working quite well for me over the last few years, with my Squats, Orks, Tentacle Brain aliens, Necrons etc all growing a little at a time, while the chopping and changing helps me to avoid burnout.

Shortcuts that shave time off the process are crucial for me. Productivity breeds enthusiasm. If only I could apply the same logic to the rest of my life.

Anyway, thats enough waffle from me for a while...

Mr Saturday

Shortcuts that shave time off the process are crucial for me. Productivity breeds enthusiasm.

I really must work more like that. I tend to get tunnel vision with a project, and I have so many waiting for the off. Chaos dwarves, genestealer cult, more undead, chaos renegades...

Ugh, I hadnt the slightest urge to start work on a 'stealer cult for years until today.

Yeah, I got the urge to run off a quick sketch of how I think I want the hybrids to look. I'm wondering if a mechanicus, chaos worshipping genestealer coven is a little over complicated. I might lose either the chaos or mechanicus angle. That'll do for now though. We're in danger of madly de-railing the thread.

GC+-+Hybrid_01.jpg

Wow that looks pretty cool, I don't think a corrupted cult mechanicus is too over the top at all. I guess you will get a better feel for it when you do a test model or two. I found that the current GW ghouls make good young/stunted/runt type hybrids with the addition of a claw or two. I have some done up I will post up....

Just John

I was out gaming tonight and the nice chap who is organising Knavecon has requested our presence at the convention. Its primarily a board game gig but he wants to mix it up a bit this time and has offered us a table. Only problem is its in 44 days time. What do you sll think. Is it doable? Can we have something ready by then?

Impeccably bad timing for me - that's the week my GF comes back after spending a month in Poland. If I go get setting off to glamorous Limerick I am bound to loose a testicle!

cheetor

theottovonbismark":1nhvlqzg said:
Impeccably bad timing for me - that's the week my GF comes back after spending a month in Poland. If I go get setting off to glamorous Limerick I am bound to loose a testicle!

I could possibly make it to Limerick in 44 days but I wont know for a while.

Mr Saturday, your 2D skills seem to be on a par with your 3D skills judging by that lovely illustration. I will refrain from derailing further, other than to say that if you want feedback on that sort of thing and want to blog about it or start a thread somewhere then I am happy to bore you to tears with my opinions ;)

Just John

theottovonbismark":23eyoxbh said:
You must be a bachelor!

A testicle I tell you. I can't afford to loose any more of them, I only have 3 of them left!

So what are you worried about - you have more than you need!

Cheetor I know you aren't the happiest when it comes to fantasy so we could always consider RT.

Mr Saturday

Can we have something ready by then?

I could try and crack out the fianna fimm and we could work on a scenario or summat. Hmm. Whatche reckon?

I found that the current GW ghouls make good young/stunted/runt type hybrids with the addition of a claw or two. I have some done up I will post up....

Nice! Those ghouls are so bloody handy for conversions.

Mr Saturday, your 2D skills seem to be on a par with your 3D skills judging by that lovely illustration. I will refrain from derailing further, other than to say that if you want feedback on that sort of thing and want to blog about it or start a thread somewhere then I am happy to bore you to tears with my opinions

Cheers. I think I might indeed start a thread on that very thing. I very much doubt it's possible to bore me with anything wargaming related. I can go for days.

A testicle I tell you. I can't afford to loose any more of them, I only have 3 of them left!

There are several parts of that sentence I want expanded upon.

Just John

Excellent. Its just a one day affair.

Simple basis for a scenario would be Fimir raid on a Halfling village. Divide Fimir forces in say 3 to allow for 3 participants giving victory points for number of halflings captured among other things, ensuring a bit of rivalry between the players. Halflings have lots of villagers with some militia to act as defenders. The halflings could be either GM controlled or given to more players.

Simplify the rules, small units and limit the magic and I think it would work as a participation game.

Mr Saturday

Sounds bang on. I have some nice buildings we can use, fences etc, some roads. I'm game. Might be nice to get a stand for a 3rd ed rulebook to sit on the edge of the table or summat to draw in the punters. I take it you're in then Sean? ;)

Also, I've started a thread on the coven here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1858

Have I just talked myself into starting ANOTHER project? Jaysus.

Back