Calling all Irish Oldhammerers

cheetor

Just John":3986mqh2 said:
Cheetor I know you aren't the happiest when it comes to fantasy so we could always consider RT.

With Knavecon being a boardgame event an Oldhammer outing of GWs best ever boardgame, Space Hulk strikes me as very suitable. If I can make it (unsure right now) then I might just bring that maybe, while you guys get your sword and sorcery on. My set only has speed painted and dipped miniatures (which makes it even more suitable for participation gaming to be honest), but its a great game. Its a fast, tense and fun game and it works with three players, plus its definitely the best GW boardgame ever produced. I can use the 1st edition tiles if that makes you grognards feel a little more crusty/comfortable ;) :lol:

Alternatively I will attend and hang out with you guys while I play or run some DreadBall (my game du jour). If you guys want to live out your fantasy miniature fantasies at Knavecon then thats fine with me. We can RT the next time. I have a very achievable plan for something RT-ish for whenever its opportunity comes up.

theottovonbismark":3986mqh2 said:
A testicle I tell you. I can't afford to loose any more of them, I only have 3 of them left!

To lose a testicle is one thing, but in a peculiar way the psychological stress of having any of them "loose" could be more damaging in the long run ;)

Mr Saturday

Space Hulk IS a worthy game. Generally I'm all in for either Warhammer or RT. A few jars after and some frenzied gushing on all things little man related might be a plan too.

I will try to be in for this one then, since it's only 1 day she might even come along for the trip, you can never assume anything with this girl!

Ahh the temptation to have a RT inquisitor and his retinue turn up to blast the Fimir to smithereens and is strong in me...but that's for another event in the far future. It's great the way the rule sets can intermingle potentially.

Small simplified scenarios are the way to go. There are some good Warhammer crib sheets they released over the years - I have a couple of them at home still. It seems to make sense to at the very least limit all character models to Lv 15 and limit the max price for any given magic item. A lot of those items are game breakers potentially.

Mr Saturday

Right Sean, John, reckon we should try to firm up what way we're gonna approach the oldhammer for KnaveCon. Perhaps open a new thread? I can work up some wee promotional pics for the KnaveCon page, the table on the day and such. Reckon simples is the way to go, I do like giving the fimir players a reason to compete, with the captured halflings score, so they're working together, but ultimately it's a highlander game. I could do some hilarious tokens for bagged halflings and the like.

Yes, a new thread is a good idea at this stage, I guess it would go in the "Wargames Shows" subforum? Are we going to go for a mini version of the scenario backgound idea that we talked about previously?

I will have to work out how many Slann I can get built and painted by then. I suspect I will have four or five units done assuming I lower the initial painting standard to flat colours for the sake of expediency - my usual practice for army deadlines and I can lash out some Lizardmen and Troglodyte models quickly enough. The girlfriend is away for the month so I won't have many distractions - aside from the felines demanding their meals!

My thinking is that if we have about 8 - 12 "units" or "things" per side that's enough for about 4-5 participating players to control a couple of them each - there is only so much surrounding table space for the players to inhabit after all. We are unlikely to be using any war machines given the forces involved and it would not be very likely to have any siege engines in a slave raid anyway.

Let's work out some kind of rough army listings on the other thread so that we can see in one place what we have available - once we see which forces are the most complete and how many points they come to roughly we will know where we need to focus the effort for how long.

Any game aids like funny tokens and the like will be really helpful for the finished product.

Chico

theottovonbismark":22g3xqbb said:
Chico":22g3xqbb said:
I'm worried.. last time this many Irish gathered in one place.. shit got blown up :razz:

Speaking of which, I will mail that stuff to you today Chico, it's not a bomb or anything, I promise! :twisted:

Thanks bud,

And BTW I have a large extended family in Ireland, so at some point me and Wife plans to come. I wonder if she'll let me bugger off to play a few games and drink myself silly

Just John

Chico":3as37iid said:
And BTW I have a large extended family in Ireland, so at some point me and Wife plans to come. I wonder if she'll let me bugger off to play a few games and drink myself silly

What part of Ireland are the family in?

Chico

Just John":q7jzo7ql said:
Chico":q7jzo7ql said:

What part of Ireland are the family in?

County Kerry, near a massive lake that I forget the name off.

Just John

Killarney maybe? Well Kerry is practically next door to me or Cheetor so next time you visit we'll have to arrange a game.

Chico

Just John":1zc2jb8v said:
Killarney maybe? Well Kerry is practically next door to me or Cheetor so next time you visit we'll have to arrange a game.

Um maybe, no idea.. but next time I visit it's gonna be Strip Oldhammer! heh

cheetor

Chico":3o3rb9uc said:
County Kerry, near a massive lake that I forget the name off.

County Kerry. Adjacent to West Cork, where I live.

My local gaming group has 365 access to a venue in Skibbereen in West Cork. The venue is a hostel - like in horror movies - but it is budget accommodation.

Chico":3o3rb9uc said:
Um maybe, no idea.. but next time I visit it's gonna be Strip Oldhammer! heh

You seem pretty cheap Chico, so the venue may might well suit you ;)

The local gaming group runs an annual, weekend long 40k event there each summer. Its an invite only event thing because they have reached capacity (forty players I think) for a few years running. It tends to be a big, messy piss up with loads of games. I tend to avoid it as 1) I dont play 40k and 2) while I enjoy a drink, my days of cartoon-Irish drunkenness are long behind me. I am showing up at "SkibbCon" at some point this summer to hep them to judge the painting part of the event though.

Anyway, the point that I am trying to make is that I have access to that venue, located relatively close to Mrs Chicos kin if we ever wanted to use it. It has some limitations (its not exactly The Ritz - its about as luxurious as camping in 1985, its cold enough to be unusable in the winter, its at an extreme end of the country) but I have run a couple of day long things there and its well suited to that if the as yet un-named Irish Warhammerers wanted somewhere not very central to use some time. Food for thought.

Some images of a pair of DreadBall events that I ran there:

http://sho3box.wordpress.com/2013/04/22 ... ournament/

http://sho3box.wordpress.com/2013/07/22 ... ournament/

Just John":3o3rb9uc said:
Good stuff. Give me a chance to flesh out the scenario idea and then I'll start the new thread tomorrow.

I just booked a room for theottovovbismark and myself at Knavecon, so let me know when that thread is up and we can get planning. Im looking forward to it :)

Back