Genestealer Uprising - Oldhammer Day Event

Chico

Genestealer+Cult.png

Right as I missed out on the last Oldhammer Event/Day I've like to propose the idea of running a GLOGG run (Me and Jens) but open to everyone Genestealer Uprising game at the next Oldhammer Day/Event

As its quite far into the future I have plenty of time to throw a few ideas about, a couple of the options are as follows:

1. Use 2nd Ed 40k rules, while being Oldhammer to many this bring with it a few problems. The largest problem is the game system is limited to forces under 50 figures (I'm looking at 200 just for the Cult) as any larger the game takes to long or stagnates.

2. Use 6 Ed 40k rules, while I'm in the mindset any rule-set is Oldhammer if played in the correct mindset/environment. The problem with this is well it's 6th and many will be put of straight away.

The basic idea/fluff will be a sudden Genestealer Uprising on a Imperial World, the Local PDF and Guard units have been either infiltrated or over run bar a few loyal platoons. Word has gone out and Marines have made planetfall and have to hunt down the various High Ranking members of the Cult (Patriarchs/Brood Lords/Magi)

So if anyone is interested in this feel free to throw a ideas/opinions or want to help make terrain/surply forces or like to trade me for a few Genestealer Cults just post here.

- Chico

Skarsnik

Re: Genestealer Uprising

Use the rules system that you think will give you the best game.

If people have a problem with the rules that you choose then it's their loss if they don't get to join in a cool game.

Chico

Skarsnik & Old Lead":1fgybysv said:

If people have a problem with the rules that you choose then it's their loss if they don't get to join in a cool game.

Interested in taking part? :)

Skarsnik

Chico":tk2usvnx said:
Skarsnik & Old Lead":tk2usvnx said:

Interested in taking part? :)

Depends on where and when. But in principle, yes.

Asslessman

Joining in would be very tempting but crossing the channel is not an option fo rme at the moment. Would you be interested in using small narrative skirmishes which could affect the mig showdown like for say :
- the desperate attempt of an inquisitor to eradicate a genestealer brethren?
- the attempt of a human civilians to fight against the stealers gangs?
The sort of little stories before the big one but which could have an impact in the war to come.

If that's something of interest to you, I'll see what can be done that way.

Chico

As I failed to mention this in my opening post (Now will be edited) the plan was to run this at hopefully the next Oldhammer Day/event so plenty of time to work ideas out.

Mr Ass doing a set of mini games leading to the big game is a possibility but does bring its own added problems

Asslessman

Chico":1uk4g0cz said:
As I failed to mention this in my opening post (Now will be edited) the plan was to run this at hopefully the next Oldhammer Day/event so plenty of time to work ideas out.

Mr Ass doing a set of mini games leading to the big game is a possibility but does bring its own added problems

Oh ok. if that's the way you mean it, I'll do my best to get myslef to that oldhammer day with my chaos renegades to fight side by side (if not hand in hand) with your stealers.
And yeah, min games do bring some new problems indeed. However, some multi table campaign durng the event with each table having an influence on the others could just be SSSOOOOOO much fun, but ok, nuff said (for the moment).

Chico

Asslessman":1xjr70hz said:
Chico":1xjr70hz said:

Oh ok. if that's the way you mean it, I'll do my best to get myslef to that oldhammer day with my chaos renegades to fight side by side (if not hand in hand) with your stealers.
And yeah, min games do bring some new problems indeed. However, some multi table campaign durng the event with each table having an influence on the others could just be SSSOOOOOO much fun, but ok, nuff said (for the moment).

Renegades eh? that gives me a good idea regarding a side table to the main game (End result will effect the main game). This is shaping up to be a rather fun idea :)

Subedai

I think running several tables on the same day is a step too far in terms of space, time, resources and participants, but how about dividing up the table into a couple of zones with specific objectives and corresponding forces? The action would be simultaneous and there can be crossover between forces and objectives, but it would effectively break up the action into several smaller engagements. There should then be an endgame, influenced by what happened in the first couple of terms with the initial objectives.

Also, in the run-up anyone interested in the campaign could play games and submit results, and most importantly stories, so colourful characters and background for the unfolding events can develop.

I for one have been meaning to paint up the old Inquisitor in Terminator armour with bionic leg and his two bodyguards of bolter armed Imperial Army soldiers...

Chico

If this is run on the next Oldhammer Weekend, then we'll have 2 days worth of gaming time and plenty of tables.

What i was thinking is this:

Main Table 12 by 4 foot: Space Marine strike force taking out the 'stealer Cult

Side Table: 6 by 4 foot: Renegade Marines taking out a PDF outpost.

Whoever wins the side battle then moves in to join the Main battle

Thantsants

I can certainly add my Genestealer Cult to the fray - either lending the minis or playing myself on one of the days.

The reason I'm not jumping into this excellent project with both feet is because knowing me I'll have got myself in some other mad and ambitious scheme by then and I probably need to keep my options open! :mrgreen:

Plus I might have finished building the shrine of Rigg by then...

Chico

My thoughts are if I commit to this early then the Powers That Be will be more forgiving and let me go too the Oldhammer Weekend LOL

Thantsants

Getting there shouldn't be a problem for me - fitting everything I want to play over the two days though - that's another matter :lol:

Chico

Looking into getting some actual 2nd Ed card terrain such as the Fire Base and Bunkers to give that old school flavour.

Mutantdale

Hi Chico..

I have played many games using the 2nd edition 40k/dark millennium box set using over 150 minis and never had a problem with it stagnating or bogging down.. plus the wonder of the black armies book means there is a nice list for the cult ready to go and be expanded on by using the imperial guard codex..

2nd edition also has a large following so will help a lot with getting more bods to the table (I might even be tempted myself as I have both a large cult and marine armies on the to paint list).

Only game system I played which struggled with lists over 50 minis was rogue trader but then that was only with using early vehicle rules and lots of them :)

2 days to play will easy covera a massive battle or two..

MD

Chico

Mutantdale":37ohyji8 said:
Hi Chico..

I have played many games using the 2nd edition 40k/dark millennium box set using over 150 minis and never had a problem with it stagnating or bogging down.. plus the wonder of the black armies book means there is a nice list for the cult ready to go and be expanded on by using the imperial guard codex..

2nd edition also has a large following so will help a lot with getting more bods to the table (I might even be tempted myself as I have both a large cult and marine armies on the to paint list).

Only game system I played which struggled with lists over 50 minis was rogue trader but then that was only with using early vehicle rules and lots of them :)

2 days to play will easy covera a massive battle or two..

MD

I've lost count of the 2nd Ed 40k games I've played which had to be stopped early on or around turn 3 dew to running out of gaming time, sadly while the best part it's the combat system it does bog the game down alot. That and not many people know the 2nd Ed system anymore.

Aldo there's a nice Cult list in the 2nd Ed Tyranid Book.

Mutantdale

Whatever system you use people will need to learn.. I didn't know about the list in the nid book I will have to check it out. Combat is easier than in 3rd edition fantasy which will be going on that weekend too so we should all have our maths brain on anyway and there is plenty of time..

Plenty of time to worry about what edition to use anyway.. As you will be running it let us know what you decide and I am sure you will get people interested..

MD

Used to play Cult army with the old blue book rules all the time, used army list from WD.

Actually last played a RT game at Foundry last Xmas and that was fairly quick. If the game is objective based this will move things through faster. stick army list to 1000/1500 max everything fine. As would allow smaller unit players to tag team.

If anyone after a Coven Limo these apparently look great modded up and in black http://www.minairons.eu/en/181-1-56-his ... 20167.html

Chico

It's not going to be points limited or even list limted rather its put it on the table and play and have fun in a light hearted way. My Cult ,Thasents and Dale between us have enough Cult units to fill a 12 by 6 table with easy.

It will be objective based with a side table linking in depending on their result

Lands Annex

Sweet-Zombie-Jesus this is up my street.

Is the date for next years Oldhammer day set yet?

No matter either way, if I book it in early enough then I'll get it off work.

What an ace target for me to complete (well, start. Well, I've almost finished the first squad of FW models) my RT Guard and a mixed lot of old and new 'nids. Better get stripping!

Count me in.

Back