Oldhammer - Bring Out Your Lead! 2013 ... events

weazil

Hi all

Off the back of a prompt by Steve in this thread, I indicated that I would have the 'official answer' tonight.

So 'official' is a strange word to apply to what we're doing here, but bear with me.

Officially, this is what is on offer on Saturday:

Bloodbath at Orc's Drift.

Run by Thantsants and ably assisted at various junctions through the day by the casual stewards offering their assistance here. I will look to take over one scenario for Thantsants so that he may do other stuff at the event. This event is expected to run over both Saturday and Sunday.

There are 5 registrations for this on Saturday.

Realms of Chaos Open Table.

Run by Orlygg and Dan. There are 32 registrations for this event. I don't think I need to explain this, but this is an open table for any RoC warbands to participate in an all day chaos smackfest.

Unofficially, this is also happening on Saturday:

Runble in the Jungle.

Run by Padre and ably assisted by many contributors (Harry, Thantsants, Citadel Collector and Lenihan). This appears to be a take and hold style game located in the deep jungle of Lustria. Pygmies, Slann, Lizardmen, Norse, Elves and other nasty surprises await any who arrive. I believe the table is open to all armies.

Golgfag vs. Everyone Else

Run by Golgfag1 and ably assisted by Nico. Golgfag is basically bringing a colossal orc and goblin army to face off against any comers. Nico so far has offered to put Golgfag in his place, but I believe this table is open to all armies.

Officially, this is what is happening on Sunday:

Bloodbath at Orc's Drift

The continuation of any outstanding scenario's from Saturday. If players are able to complete the entire set of scenarios on Saturday, I think it would be up to Thantsants and his desire to respond to demand if he elects to rerun the thing on Sunday. There are 4 registrations on Sunday.

Rogue Trader Tactical Squad Open Table

Run by Coopdevil. Bring a typical 10 marine tactical squad or an equivalent chaos renegade squad and simply have at the other participants. Expect mayhem as squads are consumed not only by one another's firepower, but by dinosaurs, carnivorous plants and as yet unrevealed Rogue Trader mischief. There are 14 registrations for this event.

Golgfag vs Everyone Else

Looking at the proposed scale of this game, I fully expect this to be running on Sunday, where it is most likely to hoover up many players with no specific gaming planned.

Forenrond's Last Stand

Run by Erny. I had this down as running on both Saturday and Sunday, but it is in fact only running on Sunday. This is the famous scenario featuring Elves vs. Orcs & goblins from the back of the 3rd edition rulebook. There are only 3 registrants for this (so far) - I would also expect this will hoover up any stragglers on Sunday.

As regards the Golden Gobbo and the Andy Craig painting workshop, I fear that these will most likely be cancelled, as a result of Andy indicating he most likely won't be able to make it (personal reasons). Now I see that Harry has suggested in the thread linked above that he has some ad-hoc trophies for Golden Gobbo, so that's not dead in the water yet, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it...

We will be able to trade any OOP products there, but no express planning has been made for this and no-one is officially responsible for this. But the point is, you will be able to trade on the day.

Other gaming

There will be:

1 12'x6' table

1 6'x6' table

3 7'x7' tables

2 8'x4' tables

10 6'x4' tables

6+ 6'x3' tables *there are more of these available for 'overflow', hence the '+' sign, but I believe 6 will be set up on the day.

It is entirely appropriate to expect that the larger, scenic tables will be allocated to the large games described above. This will have to be decided over the Friday night and Saturday morning when the organisers arrive.

Any remaining tables will then be allocated to games registered on the Looking For Game thread, ideally chosen by game size. Once all of those games have been allocated, the remaining tables will be available to anyone. 18 gamers have registered an interest in bringing their own armies to play games (so one assumes 9 tables required) on each day, which suggests the 6'x4' tables will all be in use from the outset. That said, there are not 9 games organised in the Looking For Game thread.

My best advice would be to register your interest to play in the Looking for Game thread, so you land a table.

Opening Time

The event officially opens at 10. Organisers (that will include the unofficial games described above) should be able to arrive at 8. I'm sure everyone is really excited about this and even now are experiencing trouble sleeping. BUT - PLEASE LET THE ORGANISERS SET THEMSELVES UP IN PEACE. So, if you're not organising an event, come at 10. If you are, please come before. Okay?

What you need to bring:

If you are intending to play, then I think things you need to bring are split into two categories:

If you are playing in one of the participation games on offer described above (Forenrond's Last Stand or Bloodbath at Orc's Drift), you will be in the hands of a games master and need not bring anything - the rules, figures, dice and tape measures will be supplied.

If you are planning to use your own figures, you should be planning to bring your own rulebooks, tape measures, dice and all the normal things that one would expect to take to a gaming event. I think this is especially important for rulebooks, because in some cases the books that will be present on the day are quite hard to come by, so it is quite reasonable for someone to refuse you access to their copies.

There has been some discussion about display figures. IF you do want to display figures, let me know, because Foundry have offered display cabinets to us. As a result of the Golden Gobbo most likely not going ahead, I've indicated that we won't need them, but it sounds like there is some interest in displaying some figures. If you are interested in doing this, please let me know as soon as possible, indicating what figures you want to display and any special instructions that are associated (so, if its a diorama, for instance, I'll want dimensions). It is entirely possible that Foundry may not be able to fit the thing you want to display.

Anyway, I hope that now clarifies what will be happening on the weekend. Everything else will be happening under the steam of the attendees arranging games either through the Looking For Game thread or just through conversation on the day.

Harry

I will happily bring my early pre-slotta stuff for display if there is half a shelf. (Only about 50 minis)
The only thing of any size is the Great Spined Dragon ... but the safest place for that may be in the middle of a gaming table?

... and then there is the Citadel Giant if Skarsnick wants that on display?

I am also planning on bringing a Blood Bowl Stadium which anyone is welcome to use to play a game of Blood Bowl. (Don't know if you want to add that to the first post?)

Not sure why Golden Gobbo would not be happening because Andy Craig is not there?
We can rope in a few people to judge. Maybe someone at the Foundry?
You guys who have put in the work for this can pick a winner. (Over a pint).
I will gladly not enter and be the judge.

Fimm McCool

My Golden Gobbo entrant fought his way from Devon to York on Tuesday so that he could participate and so would like a cabinet even if there's to be no judging, otherwise he'll get miffed and eat you all! Sadly I won't be there to prevent him... :twisted:

Blue in VT

....well there will be at least one other painted mini for yours to eat Fimm...as mine will also be traveling to the event with thantsants...that is assuming he hasn't been eaten already.... :grin:

...I hope my guy has a good time....wish I could have brought him in person.

Cheers,

Blue

Fimm McCool

Since the two of them will be travelling together- indeed, are probably already getting acquainted- I expect they'll be firm friends. Besides my chap only eats unpainted lead, all plastic and pesky fleshies. For some reason he just can't stomach failcast resin but he has a good smash to make up for it!

Thantsants

Just doing the basing for mine and as the other two are currently residing in solitary confinement with me (well away from my piles of unpainted lead!) then they'll certainly get a ride down to Nottingham - be nice if someone could judge them at some point :grin:

Oh and thanks for the offer of stewarding Orc's Drift for me Gaj!

The last time I played we got through two scenarios a day with it being a bit of a rush for the final showdown at the Drift. Mind you that was only my second outing with the 2nd ed rules and it was played with complete novices! Should run a bit quicker this time...

Nico

Hi all, and thank you Gaj for this "official" answer :lol:

weazil":p70ds30x said:
Opening Time
The event officially opens at 10. Organisers (that will include the unofficial games described above) should be able to arrive at 8.
I arrive at Dover at 6H30 and and I hope to arrive at Nottingham at 11H, only 4 hours (with Via Michelin web site) but drive on the left side of the road for the first time :o Considered little delay :mrgreen:

weazil":p70ds30x said:
Display figures
IF you do want to display figures, let me know, because Foundry have offered display cabinets to us.
Thanks to Foundry for display cabinets, If it's lockable cabinet I will happily bring my Chaos Dwarf Jugg and some Epic stuffs like Ork Gargants and War engines.
Total : 15 minis 1 foot x 1 foot

Hetz

Oi! I'm in the Jungle also. :razz:

I'll also be available for whatever's needed doing on the day

Padre

RUMBLE

Re: Players
weazil":47s6n7bx said:
Rumble in the Jungle

Run by Padre and ably assisted by many contributors (Harry, Thantsants, Citadel Collector and Lenihan). This appears to be a take and hold style game located in the deep jungle of Lustria. Pygmies, Slann, Lizardmen, Norse, Elves and other nasty surprises await any who arrive. I believe the table is open to all armies.
Yeah, open to all armies, who can enter as and when they wish - although not too many entering too close to each other. Because of this, the game is envisaged as a two day game, allowing a reasonable pace to what may become a crowded game with many sides taking their turns after each other.

Re: Tables

We need a LONG table to be the valley.
weazil":47s6n7bx said:
1 12'x6' table

10 6'x4' tables
The 12'x6' table would be perfect for the RUMBLE. Alternatively, can we move the tables? If so two of the 6x4's joined together to make a 12 by 4 would be just as perfect. Also depends if the tables are already contoured and scenery covered, and just how they would work as a valley in the jungle.

I am bringing jungle scenery (swamp and 'jungly' trees, etc), so I can Lustrianise any table without too much non-Lustria style scenery stuck to it.

weazil

Hi Padre

I'm not sure how easy it would be to move the tables (I've not seen the layout, but I believe space is tight because of the bar/catering). Are you able to get to Foundry for 08:00 on Saturday?

How many armies/players are you expecting to start the day with?

weazil

Okay, so it sounds like there's enough support for Golden Gobbo for that to go ahead. I'll chat to Marcus and see if I can organise lockable display cabinets to fit the various requests that have been listed above.

I would suggest that you don't bring the large figures (Citadel Giant, Great Spined Dragon, Chaos Dwarf Juggernaut) without confirmation from me (which I will aim to get to you by tomorrow).

Padre

weazil":g8k1pohq said:
Hi Padre

I'm not sure how easy it would be to move the tables (I've not seen the layout, but I believe space is tight because of the bar/catering). Are you able to get to Foundry for 08:00 on Saturday?

I will aim for 8 to 8.30. If we cannot move tables, can we get the 12 by 6? Or is that already taken?? If not then the 6 by 6 plus two 6 by 3 tables would do, of space and positioning allows.

weazil":g8k1pohq said:
How many armies/players are you expecting to start the day with?

Impossible to say due to nature of the game. Maybe start with 1, 2 or 3.

weazil

Hi all

Regarding the display cabinets.

It sounds like Marcus has enough display space for the requests that have so far surfaced, but it is important that you know that none of the cabinets are lockable. Marcus is comfortable that gaining access to the cabinets is not something that will be easily achievable without someone spotting, and the rule for everyone on the day (including Foundry people) will be not to open cabinets, period.

Which means that if you see someone opening a cabinet, that person is doing something wrong and you are authorised to kil...er...raise the alarm, that is.

So, please consider that when bringing any figures to display. We (Foundry and the Oldhammer community, I'm sure) will do our best to protect them, but we can't be accountable for them.

Back