Bring Out Your Armies: Norse's Stuff

Norse

In advance of the weekend, I'll post up the rosters of the two armies I'm bringing. They have been built roughly in line with the Warhammer Armies book as two matched 1000 point armies just to give a starting point. In a given scenario, not all elements of the army need be present and details could be changed to suit. Apologies for the crap photography! Also,
doesn't seem to work in this forum.

The first:

The Vengeance of Svein The Bastard

Just off the coast of Albion lies the small island community of Orcs Knee. This community is made up from a mixture of Norscan settlers and Norscanised natives and is led by Jarl Svein, the Bastard.

Jarl Svein was viking through Lustria when the community of Orcs Knee was nearly entirely destroyed by a tiny band of mysterious raiders from the North. He returned with his band to find only a handful of survivors, telling stories of a hooded man with a scythe and five dark knights who came from the sea, bringing fire and swirling vortexes of darkness that destroyed everything they touched; apparently to carry off a relic guarded by the community, the Lewis Scroll.

Gathering what remained of his Warhird, Svein and his men now scour the world for the raiders who destroyed their homes. They are guided in the journey by the island's Vola, known as Wyrmcaller, who claims to be able to speak with the wights of the land.

Jarl Svein the Bastard
WLEesRf.jpg

Is a very angry man. He carries Leggslitna, a Ring of Leg Breaking; the source of his cognomen, and the tool with which he has managed to maintain discipline within the fractious, often divided, mixed Norse and Albian community.

He's not sure what he's going to do when he catches up to the raiders, but he imagines it will probably begin with breaking their legs.

Code:
M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld   Int  Cl    WP  Save

4  6   4   4  4  4  6  4  10+3  7   8+1  8+1   6+

1 Level 20 Hero. Armed with Hand Weapon and Light Armour. Carries Leggslitna, a magic ring carrying a spell of leg breaking:

Individual model T 4 or less within 24", ignoring usual target restrictions. Target makes magic saving throw. If failed, reduces movement by half. If hit twice target is immobile (four legged creatures must be hit 3 times to be made imobile). Ordinary troopers will simply be removed as casualties if hit by this spell. As this is a ring, on the second or subsequent casting of this spell Svein must roll a d6 before casting. On a 6 the ring is exhausted and the spell is not cast.

155 points

The Vola Yngvildr Bjolandottir, Wrymcaller
Ix9Ao9p.jpg

She survived the destruction of the community by using up the last of her artefacts, allowing her to burrow into the earth as a worm. Her greatest talent, as with many Norse sorcerors, is in summoning the beasts of the land. She has a particular connection with the frostwyrm Lifjotun. Summoning Lifjotun takes all of her relatively minor power however, and usually leaves her helpless for some time afterwards. She now guides the Warhird in their quest to hunt down the raiders by communicating with the landwights as they travel. Wights of a foreign land are at best vague and at worst treacherous alas...

Code:
M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld  Int   Cl   WP  Save

4  4   3   4  3  1  3  1  7   8+1  8+1  8+1  None

1 Level 5 Wizard. Armed with Hand Weapon (staff).

Magic Level 1. 10 Power points. If Lifjotun is present, Wrymcaller will begin with 0 Power Points as she will have spent them all to call him.

Spellbook-

The songs I know, that King's Wives know not,
Nor men that are sons of men;

The first is called help, and help it can bring thee
In sorrow and pain and sickness.

Cure Light Injury: Cost - 1; Range - Touch.
Restore 1 wound to target model. Miscast causes 1 wound. May not cast in combat.

A second I know, if great is my need
Of fetters to hold my foe;
Blunt do I make mine enemy's blade,
Nor bites his sword or staff.

Dispirit: Cost - 2; Range - 24"
Cause -1 Ld penalty to unit for rest of battle. Does not affect associated characters. Target receives normal magic saving throw. Maximum once per unit.

A third I know, if needs I must lead
To the fight my long-loved friends;
I sing in the shields, and in strength they go
Whole to the field of fight,
Whole from the field of fight,
And whole they come thence home.

Enthuse: Cost - 2; Range - 24"
+1 Ld bonus to friendly unit. Doesn't affect associated characters, but does affect champions. Maximum once per unit. Cannot raise above 10.

60 points

Lifjotun, the Frostwyrm
QVgUQST.jpg

Lifjotun just wants to sleep. He needs the deep slumber of his kind, until his appointment with the endtimes. Unfortunately the human known as Wyrmcaller seems to have found out his name; now it doesn't matter how deep he burrows himself, she still manages to call him to her and make him fight. Still, humans are short-lived and squishy, hopefully he will be left in peace soon.

Code:
M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld  Int  Cl  WP  Save

6  4   0   5  5  7  2  6  7    6   7   7   None

1 Dragon.

If Lifjotun is present in a battle he will have been bound for 10 magic points by Wyrmcaller (all of her magic points) as the rules for Hosts (WFB p.240). Lifjotun must make a binding test at the end of each complete combat engagement with 1d6. 1-3 Lifjotun breaks free from control and makes for the nearest table edge, 4-6 he remains bound.

Large target for missile fire.
Causes Fear +1 in all creatures over 10' tall. Causes Fear +2 in all creatures under 10' tall.
4 stomp attacks (1 wound), 1 tail-lash attack (1 wound), 1 bite attack (d3 wounds).
In hand-to-hand, opponent saving throws at -3.

Chill Breath Attack - In shooting phase, range 12" causes 2d6 automatic hits that automatically cause 1 wound. Normal saving throws allowed.

Lifjotun has no magical ability.

250 points

Lodmund Havarson and the Huscarls
46a0VEj.jpg

Nearly the entire Norse populace of the island are in Jarl Svein's huscarls.

Code:
M    WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld  Int  Cl  WP  Save

3.5  4   3   4  3  1  4  2  7    7   7   7   6+/5+

16 Huscarls, all armed with Hand Weapons and Light Armour. 8 of the Huscarls also carry Spears and Shields, 8 carry Double Handed Weapons, making this a regiment with Mixed Ranks.

216 points

Gwevyl and the Bondi
cilWfxE.jpg

The Bondi are primarily made up from the Albian population of the island.

Code:
M    WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld  Int  Cl  WP  Save

3.5  3   3   3  3  1  3  1  7    7   7   7   5+

24 Bondi, all armed with Hand Weapons, Throwing Spears, Light Armour and Shields. The regiment also contains a standard and a musician.

234 points

Berserkir
9fofwNT.jpg

The cult of the Berserkr never had much of a hold on Orcs Knee, but (after the destruction of their homes and the loss of their families) several of the remaining hirdmen have joined up. Led by Hreggvid Vadason, who was beaten unconscious early in the raid and survived when his wife and daughter did not, the Berserkir wish only to die in battle; whereas their colleagues wish to survive long enough to extract vengeance.

From left to right:
Hreggvid Vadason
Raumr Bjalfason
Thorhalli Raudrson
Hiallkarr Oddleifrson
Kveldulf Svavarson
Solvarr Ulvson
Niall Hunbogason

Code:
M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld  Int  Cl  WP  Save

4  3   3   3  3  1  3  1  7   7    7   7   None

7 Berserkir, all armed with Hand Weapons. Berserker rules apply (WFB p.96).

70 points

Total = 985 Points

Orlygg

Lovely models there. I like the spells too. Nice role playing ideas and something to use in my own games!

Norse

Fumerend's Quest For Power

Fumerend

pqG3zgy.jpg

Fumerend travels the world with his small retinue, gathering relics of power so that when he returns to the Wastes he will have an unassailable advantage. His latest acquisition was from some insignificant little island somewhere near Albion, the Lewis Scroll. He derived some small satisfaction from destroying the place, but his tastes have become jaded and he longs for the pleasures of the Wastes once more. Just a few more artefacts and he can return with enough power to ensure endless reward from the gods of chaos.

His new scroll bears the words:

"`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."

in a tongue decipherable by few adepts.

It allows him to summon a creature utterly alien to this world, the Jabberwock.

Code:

4  5   3   4  4  3  4  1  9+2  9+2  9+2  9+2  None

Level 15 Sorcerer. Armed with Hellhoned Scythe (Magical Double Handed Weapon). Victims wearing non-magical armour have no saving throw against wounds caused by the Hellhoned Scythe.

Magic Level 2. Power Points 20 (at least half of which will have to be spent to summon the Jabberwock)

Spellbook:

Level 1 - Aura of Resistance, Fire Ball, Flight, Hammerhand, Steal Mind, Assume Illusionary Appearance

Level 2 - Vortex of Chaos, Cause Frenzy, Hallucinate.

192 Points

Jean Spumemoulder and the Foul Five

QQ1qGJh.jpg

Jean probably came from Bretonnia somewhere in the distant past. He remembers that he was weak once. He was weak, and men came and took everything from him. But Master made him strong, so he could kill the men. His friends - Poul, Jorje, Rongo and Brian - all have similar stories. Master promises them more strength, more power as the Foul Five help him to gain the relics he needs.

Jean Spumemoulder
Poul Nibblewart
Jorje Eatface
Rongo Foulcackle
Brian

After disappointing their Master at Orcs Knee Jean, Poul and Jorje are currently in disgrace, and Brian now leads the Foul Five.

Code:
M    WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld   Int  Cl    WP    Save

3.5  6   6   4  3  2  6  2  9+2  9+2  9+2   9+2   5+

5 Chaos Warriors armed with Double Handed Weapons and Heavy Armour.

380 points

Pest and his Thugs

UfoAT4h.jpg

When he's not trying to keep a relatively low profile, Fumerend often calls bands of thugs to his service such as this one...

Code:
Pest

4    5   5   3  3  2  5  2  8+1  8+1  8+1   8+1   6+

Marauder Champion armed with Double Handed Weapon and Light Armour.

Code:
Thugs

4    4   4   3  3  1  4  1  7     7   7     7     6+

9 Thugs armed with Hand Weapons and Light Armour

111 Points

Filth and his Thugs

... and/or this one.

aBNBkCd.jpg

Code:
Filth

4    5   5   3  3  2  5  2  8+1  8+1  8+1   8+1   6+

Marauder Champion armed with Double Handed Weapon and Light Armour.

Code:
Thugs

4    4   4   3  3  1  4  1  7     7   7     7     6+

9 Thugs armed with Hand Weapons and Light Armour

111 Points

The Jabberwock

VligfS6.jpg

Ayij atu ieravo purepi ne do wifaso bidig no, ni moter ubor rasor mimesie ape rim urimimis enab. Ge rinepat ose aneroy isa enon rito ronalin natican: Potoyo dobe letote maca siwieno rure tohosit. Nenas posan ietireso heres liefen nisosah neteni zicotu egienines duri: Anis wat etenilir tarata sa lune. Ofaris raseha pal radix irod wanaties, erotonier micatu nemanob bo aviti dim ci hiyewor. Motarir rana ma teti mede ifulere seligu ieturitif rutile. Yoteget hi ra hetife orieh amigac xavucun hivot lega sarese; anan funie gocogit metacuc! Enix nanit gelaron gapir depitet tef sugitor ukoti. Daloror curoter muc yim. Satoteg nisene nere puc.

Code:

8  4   0   6  5  6  7  4  9    4    8     9   None

1 Jabberwock.

If the Jabberwock is present it will have been bound by Fumerend as per the rules for Chaos Hosts (WFB p.251). It may be bound for either 10 magic points or 20 magic points. If bound for 10 points, the Jabberwock will leave the battle after its first full combat engagement. If bound for 20 must make a binding test at the end of each combat engagement. 1-3 leaves the field, 4-6 remains bound.

Causes Fear in creatures under 10' tall.
Subject to Stupidity.
Have Stomp attacks, and all attacks are Poisoned (+1 Str Bonus).
In combat, opponent saving throws reduced by -2.
Regenerate as troll - End of turn recovers all wounds on a 4, 5 or 6. If partially caused by fire or acid regenerates only on 6. If damage wholly by fire or acid may not regenerate.

200 Points

Total = 994 Points

Norse

Just John":2pltivyy said:
Great stuff Norse. Are the figures Wargames Factory or Gripping Beast? How were they to put together?

Cheers! Some of them are Gripping Beast I think. To be honest, I've had most of these figures for so long I can't remember. The new additions to make it more Warhammery are the Vola and the Frostwyrm, both are Reaper Bones miniatures.

Chico":2pltivyy said:
Damn you, i want a norse force now.... *mutters the wife is gonna kill me*

Well, they should at least be quite cheap to put together! Depending on where you get them from I suppose. What I've been trying to do is build up as many 1000 point armies as I can to give me plenty of stuff to use in scenarios.
They are great fun, it's a terrible shame that in later editions they've been turned into just more Chaos Marauders.

I have enough unpainted bits and pieces to put together a Sea Elves army already. And a Slann army if I cheat and use modern skinks (which I can't decide whether I want to do or not). But I really want to build an em4 plastics Dwarf army, I have this idea for a Dwarfcio (dwarven spear/crossbow tercio) formation I want to use as the centrepiece and I have an unmade cannon just hanging around ready for me to use. Oh yes, and a clockwork dragon which I badly need to use in a dwarf army. None of this in time for the weekend of course, but should give us more toys to play with in G.R.O.G!

Anyway, I've come a bit late to the party so haven't really managed to arrange anything in the Looking For A Game thread. I'm hopefully playing Bloodbath At Orc's Drift (at least, I registered for it on the signup form thingy), but outside of that if anyone has stuff hanging around and wants a game against either of these armies (or have me design a scenario for two other players using these armies on the spot) then I'll have them with me!

Harry

Drop Padre a line ... I am sure there is a seat at the atble for rumble in the Jungle for that Norse army.

Padre

Sorry Norse, I never noticed this thread until now - forums can get a bit busy and a fellow like me misses things. This force is fantastic. I am so very glad you might join in the Rumble game with it.

PS: I'm sure you have it but I found the cut out WD pages of a Norse Army list in the back of my old Warhammer Armies book. I'd forgotten such a thing was ever created. Annoyingly the WD issue number is not in the header of footer. (I used to do a lot of chopping out pages - silly me.)

Back