After the Oldhammer Weekend

Zhu Bajie

Norse":1bs267oh said:
Can't do that at Salute either, not unless you want to pay the hugely expensive trade stand fees. Maybe we could split the cost of a single stand between us, but then you've got all sorts of paperwork, as well as needing someone to run it. We also wouldn't have anywhere near the gaming space that we get at the Foundry. Nor do we get the whole weekend. You still haven't answered how you expect any of that to work at a show like Salute!

Well, seeing as the larger businesses are already represented at Salute, a lot of the Oldhammer mandate is already met by having that diversity of manufacturers. Perhaps an Oldhammer sponsored gathering of smaller producers under one banner / stand, seems like a nice idea and a worthwhile effort if those producers were interested. Perhaps the answer is simply to ask Foundry to allow small business traders, they would actually have nothing to lose on that front and it would be a big step towards supporting the community. Perhaps the answer is to discuss it with like-minded-ish fellows on some kind of computer based discussion forum and find a bold new direction that revolutionizes the hobby-game industry at the grass-roots level. Sorry, I don't have a pre-packaged solution. The only thing I am sure of is trying to fix answers too quickly or trying to shut down discussion before its really begun is playing a loosing hand.

Norse":1bs267oh said:
I think you're seeing the Foundry event as a gamesday type thing, whereas some of us (and myself) are just seeing the Foundry event as being a chance to play some games with a good crowd of like-minded-ish people on some fantastic boards.

Ah, I see the Foundry event as exactly as you do, and I'm sure it will be freaking awesome! In no way am I trying to undermine that or what the guys have achieved, and I'm genuinely gutted I can't make it. I'm looking 12 months, 24 months into the future, looking at Oldhammer as a brand that's going to run for the next decade, and asking what should the community aim for next? Is it something that is run under the rules and brand of a single manufacturer (boo-hiss no) or something that is wider and more inclusive in scope (yay!). Perhaps it will be a little less polished and a bit more punk rock, or perhaps something else, entirely.

Indecently there's no Bring and Buy at this years Dragonmeet either. Something is a foot!

Erny

Zhu, your premis is that the foundry event, if repeated would become, THE yearly event. I don't see this, it is an event, perhaps one that leans more heavily on the Nostalgic side, perhaps not we shall see. I'm certain it is going to be the first get together of a good number of us on this forum and from the blogs. It will be great. It oesn't have to be the only event.

When we suggest that actually organising another different event is the way forward, it isn't to shut down debate but to admit the validity of all your worries if not the premis they are built on. We will be able to do more at a different event, we would love to see it but that doesn't preclude a second Foundry day.

Golgfag1

Meetings, Opinions, directions, shows and demos - The group may wish to take into consideration when discussing this issue:
We are currently a group of individuals who share a passion for old games, models and the general idea of using both to have fun and developing our skills either playing, modelling and painting.
Most of us have never met knowingly, apart from this group and until we all start find out about one another, things are likely to pretty much stay that way.
Foundry have made an offer to use their facilities to allow us to play games, meet, discuss our joint interests over a weekend -big thanks to them for this opportunity. Will this change a great deal - I doubt it.
Where will this take us - I don't know but I every much doubt - it'll be setting up a show on our own in the next year or so - we hardly know each other, our talents or contact within the gaming community. But, if this is to develop, I think it should be small - the regional groups make sense (i m h o) to me, these may generate interest in putting on games at local shows (not just the big ones) where the regional group may gauge interest in what we're doing and encourage others to join-in, thus expanding our field of contacts and knowledge of whats happening in the wargaming community in general. If, we're noticed and people like what they see - the likes of S L Warlords, Newbury, Reading & Leeds will invite us to the shows, have no doubt. We might also organizing some inter-regional games, now wouldn't that be fun!

Just my two penny worth, for now.

Paul / Golgfag1

Orlygg

Golgfag1 said:
the regional groups make sense (i m h o) to me, these may generate interest in putting on games at local shows (not just the big ones) where the regional group may gauge interest in what we're doing and encourage others to join-in, thus expanding our field of contacts and knowledge of whats happening in the wargaming community in general. If, we're noticed and people like what they see - the likes of S L Warlords, Newbury, Reading & Leeds will invite us to the shows, have no doubt. We might also organizing some inter-regional games, now wouldn't that be fun

Agreed. Which why I feel we are just going around in circles discussing whether an event is oldhammer enough or not. Let's get on with creating meet ups and games. Salute being the next major meet up after Foundry, it is also one that many of us attend, or think about attending. We are not going to see the same scale of Old School gaming as we will (hopefully) see at The Foundry but its a chance to be noticed. Of course, if you are sitting on another show, and you are up for it, get an Oldhammer game on the go!

Golgfag1

The next major shows in the south are Colours (September, too soon) & Warfare (November, I might be able to swing this, but its awfully late in the day and most of the committee has changed, since I was a regular at the club), Salute has been and gone this year, When's Leeds, Manchester?
But, I repeat - at the moment we have to assess our own resources, talents, skills and contacts and judge if we're capable of putting on a game first, hence lets meet, play games and have a chat before committing to something half baked, and making a pigs ear of it, to the embarrassment of those involved; slowly, slowly catchy monkey.

Regards

Paul / Golgfag1

Agreed. Which why I feel we are just going around in circles discussing whether an event is oldhammer enough or not. Let's get on with creating meet ups and games. Salute being the next major meet up after Foundry, it is also one that many of us attend, or think about attending. We are not going to see the same scale of Old School gaming as we will (hopefully) see at The Foundry but its a chance to be noticed. Of course, if you are sitting on another show, and you are up for it, get an Oldhammer game on the go![/quote]

Orlygg

On the topic of Salute, Gaj and I discussed the possibility of running something Terror of the Lichemaster at said event. Something like that. Something memorable to others not involved in Oldhammer. I see it being nothing more than that at the moment. Small steps and all. But at least they are steps.

Hetz

I'm pretty sure a display game at a show is free, I can ask some of the Fuukers as they usually do more than one game at Salute nowadays. The first Salute we did was an Oldhammer game in spirit, remember Fantasy Warriors? Great day :)
Tables at Fiasco in Leeds are free for display games, let me know ASAP if we need one. Sun 27 October.

Harry

Golgfag1":377xn229 said:
Meetings, Opinions, directions, shows and demos - The group may wish to take into consideration when discussing this issue:
We are currently a group of individuals who share a passion for old games, models and the general idea of using both to have fun and developing our skills either playing, modelling and painting.
Most of us have never met knowingly, apart from this group and until we all start find out about one another, things are likely to pretty much stay that way.
Foundry have made an offer to use their facilities to allow us to play games, meet, discuss our joint interests over a weekend -big thanks to them for this opportunity. Will this change a great deal - I doubt it.
Where will this take us - I don't know but I every much doubt - it'll be setting up a show on our own in the next year or so - we hardly know each other, our talents or contact within the gaming community. But, if this is to develop, I think it should be small - the regional groups make sense (i m h o) to me, these may generate interest in putting on games at local shows (not just the big ones) where the regional group may gauge interest in what we're doing and encourage others to join-in, thus expanding our field of contacts and knowledge of whats happening in the wargaming community in general. If, we're noticed and people like what they see - the likes of S L Warlords, Newbury, Reading & Leeds will invite us to the shows, have no doubt. We might also organizing some inter-regional games, now wouldn't that be fun!

Just my two penny worth, for now.

Paul / Golgfag1
These are some wise words.
You are clearly brighter than you look. :grin:

Absolutely heading up to the foundry not just to meet people and put names to faces but in the hope of making friends ... or is that building on friendships in real life that have started on the interwebz? I clearly have more in common with some folks round here than friends I have known for years. It will add immeasurably to our interactions on here once we have met each other,
I can certainly see meet ups between regional groups who meet each other at the Foundry as a way to get another game or two in as a natural outcome.

Kitsune

Norse":3gr46x9y said:
Orlygg":3gr46x9y said:
And then it wouldn't be free. One thing I don't know is whether you have to pay a fee to present a game as part of a club at Salute. Anyone know?

I've been trying to find out, but no joy so far. I wouldn't have thought so, but who knows?

Don't know if this has been answered or not, but I helped run a club table last year and we didn't pay a fee that I'm aware of.

Golgfag1

Thanks for the response Harry,

As a group we may like to see what others have done with supporting old rule sets - take this newsgroup for instance

yahoo.com/group/WRG6th/

Using a set of rules which came out about the same time as the original Warhammer, they play at various big shows (Derby & Reading) and organize smaller gatherings amongst themselves throughout the year and before anybody asks - Yes, I am a member and I have been a fairly serious historical competitive wargamer with a modicum of occasional success.

Paul / Golgfag1 (Friendly, but might not be - that nice!)

Harry":1vfhuxsm said:
These are some wise words.
You are clearly brighter than you look. :grin:

Absolutely heading up to the foundry not just to meet people and put names to faces but in the hope of making friends ... or is that building on friendships in real life that have started on the interwebz? I clearly have more in common with some folks round here than friends I have known for years. It will add immeasurably to our interactions on here once we have met each other,
I can certainly see meet ups between regional groups who meet each other at the Foundry as a way to get another game or two in as a natural outcome.

Thantsants

Don't know if this helps but didn't Gaj once mention an Oldhammer Vintage Rally... ;)

Hmmm, I like the idea of an entirely Oldhammer hosted event at an independent venue with a Bring and Buy, independent traders, archeogaming and GM'ed narrative games being run side by side, with new minis and possibly even other gaming systems. But I also like the fantastic venue, food, drink, large amount of gaming tables, scenery and, from an archeogaming point of view, interest from the Ansells and oop citadel minis produced by the Foundry.

But which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

As regional groups seem to be mobilising and targetting their local shows and some kind of presence at Salute is a given - all of which seem like very sensible next steps - I think it might be more profitable to start a new thread to continue the discussion on how we might eventually go about (or maybe more pertinently, who would be willing to get involved) organising an event entirely under the Oldhammer banner. I'm no expert in these matters but do we aim at hiring somewhere central - Birmingham? How do we ensure security for traders we have invited as well as the Bring and Buy? Who can we get to sculpt a mini for the event? What sort of time scale do we aim at? How do we finance it?

Personally I hope we do go back to Foundry for other events in the coming years as I'm sure the event will be a great laugh. Whether they are billed as The annual Oldhammer event, I'm not so sure.

If folk are asking us what's planned next, I think setting up a strong regional Oldhammer network and getting out to as many local shows as we can would be a good answer. As would a return to the Foundry next year. As would the intention to set up our own event - eventually.

Or am I trying to have my cake and eat it? :mrgreen:

Actually, reading back - pretty much what Golgfag and others have said!

Inter-regional games do sound like fun. I reckon there might one day be an unholy alliance forged between the Goblinoids and Ratmen of the North as they cast their envious eyes to the rich pickings of the Southlands...

Hetz and Warlord Paul - well up for Vapnartak and Recon if they'll have us. I missed Fiasco last year so I'll certainly be going with or without stuff for a demo game!

Forging links with small manufacturers is an interesting idea too and resurrecting the E-zine would be nice too. Mind you if we're out and about it'd be good to have print copies to sell at a suitably retro (if possible!) price to showcase what we're about.

Golgfag1

Apologies, I've lost the thread on a few of you guys based in Oxford - If, there are, do you fancy meeting up of a chat & a pint, sometime soon?

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1

Back