After the Oldhammer Weekend

Norse

On a practical note: How are you expecting our annual event to work in the confines of a show like Salute? I can see running a participation or demo game, but how do we get enough tables and enough time for 30 odd of us?

Also, no bring and buy at Salute next year.

Chico

Zhu Bajie":1nzi1dw8 said:
All we need now is Chico to mention a nudist resort as a venue and we're off.

Heh i would like to start a Nudehammer movement so you might be on too something ;)

As for starting a Cell near where i live all it would consist of is me and my Cat, and even then the Cat is likely to not turn up if Tuna's for dinner ;) Nearest to me is Og in Essex, but i'm worried about white boots and mini skirts being on display ;)

Asslessman

For example, if I understand it right, in France it's only me, Nico an Patatovitch which is quite not enough.
So... my next move is going to hobby shops nearby and local gaming clubs to propose games (with old or new rules/minis) with a game master and strongly turned towards scenario and campaigns (which is the core of our community in my understanding of it). I'm nearly sure I can gather a few guys of like minded people and even some amongts them who have treasures in their attic they had forgot :grin: .
When I have this, I can feed this forum furthermore and have some fresh blood to bring to big events. In a year or so, I believe I'll know if there are many people left to recruit or if every potential recruit has been met (thus giving an idea of the size of the movement and potential visitors for any event if we all do the same).

That's the idea anyway, there still remains the mistery of what will really happens.

Subedai

Chico":37pclyt5 said:
As for starting a Cell near where i live all it would consist of is me and my Cat, and even then the Cat is likely to not turn up if Tuna's for dinner ;) Nearest to me is Og in Essex, but i'm worried about white boots and mini skirts being on display ;)
I'm in Shepherd's Bush, within TFL range to Watford it seems. So I guess we are the Greater London cell?

I bet all this talk of forming cells just moved this blog up in the NSA/MI5 snooping chart.

Norse

Subedai":3h4ux30w said:
Chico":3h4ux30w said:
I'm in Shepherd's Bush, within TFL range to Watford it seems. So I guess we are the Greater London cell?

I bet all this talk of forming cells just moved this blog up in the NSA/MI5 snooping chart.

Hello all at GCHQ, hope you're having a fine day :)

Erny

Chico":1saxhexl said:
Zhu Bajie":1saxhexl said:
All we need now is Chico to mention a nudist resort as a venue and we're off.

Heh i would like to start a Nudehammer movement so you might be on too something ;)

Erm hello Chico, I'm in the same bloody county as you. You'd be more than welcome to join in the Cambridge/East Anglia regional group.

To be honest Shepherd's Bush is only just over an hour away!

Chico

Erny you don't count mate lol, your in Royston which even being in the same county is still further away then Og in Braintree (Only by a few miles though) heh

Sheperds Bush is close though, Subedai think you can beat my Cat in a game? ;) Also i forgot Golfag1 is close by too.

Orlygg

The general view seems to favour a return to the Foundry for another Oldhammer Day if we don't end up barred through the lead-crazed antics of some of our more extreme members. ;) Like them or not, the are willing to have us, provide a venue with working toilets, bar, food and so on. For free! Now, when I look about I don't see any other company in the wargames world willing to do the same. I for one are going to be enternally grateful for The Foundry for this event, as without them we'd probably still be nowhere. On the issues of vendors. Do we really need them? I attend Salute for that or buy online. I don't really think we want to go down the show route as it will detract from the point that we are really a social group interested in pretty much the same stuff.

So, hopefully we can have another event there next summer. But in saying this, we really have got to think about forming a committee to help organise this. Weasil has done stirling work liasing with the Foundry but it shouldn't really all fall on one set of shoulders. Even if we keep the same individual who communicates with venues to avoid 'too many chiefs' syndrome.

Salute also seems a must and is agreeable to many. Even if we do a big scenario game and just bring our painted lead would be enough. Afterall, the purpose of the day would be for members of the community to have a great day, if we attract some converts along the way, all the better. If you think about it, many of the tenets of Oldhammer are common in the wider wargaming shows anyway, its only among GW games players that the ethos really means anything. Removing yourself from the hyper commersial tournement mentality that seems to predominate elsewhere. If we are going to do salute we need to agree early on what we want to get out of the event, decide who will be the spokesperson for the community with the ELWs and get the ball rolling.

As for local groups, i am all for this. In fact, over the next 12 months this has to be the most important aspect. We have to start getting together and playing together. Even the threat of white mini skirts and stillettos should not hold us back, should i decide to wear them or not. Really, its time for action. Le's go!

Harry

Citadel Collector":1cvo0agl said:
There are good points being made alround but in terms of the thread title perhaps we should concentrate on what happens in the immediate aftermath of Oldhammer Weekend?

I for one would like to set up or join an East Midlands Oldhammer group with a view to meeting on a regular basis.
... and I will happily set up the Gloucestershire Branch.
We can start around my house as I have a couple of big gaming tables and if we ever grow beyond the confines of my games room (more than 4 people) we can move across the road to a hall which can be hired for a very reasonable £14 :grin:

Just need a cool name now.

Gloucestershire Irregular Tabletoppers or GIT's

Any suggestions?

Chico

Great plenty of people wanting to start up the local groups, i made both a Blog post and FB post to get the promotion started on the local groups forming and looks like i already have a game planned in September :)

Zhu Bajie

Orlygg":2n176ttz said:
The general view seems to favour a return to the Foundry for another Oldhammer Day if we don't end up barred through the lead-crazed antics of some of our more extreme members. ;) Like them or not, the are willing to have us, provide a venue with working toilets, bar, food and so on. For free! Now, when I look about I don't see any other company in the wargames world willing to do the same. I for one are going to be enternally grateful for The Foundry for this event, as without them we'd probably still be nowhere. On the issues of vendors. Do we really need them? I attend Salute for that or buy online. I don't really think we want to go down the show route as it will detract from the point that we are really a social group interested in pretty much the same stuff.

I think you're missing the point and trying to shut down discussion prematurely. Relying on Foundry limits what the event could be and limits the movement and ideology. If Foundry were allowing other businesses, even micro-businesses, to trade at the event then that would be fine, but seriously by playing on their turf, by their rules:

Can White Knight sell his not-marauder Dwarf things?
Can Fimm sell his not-skeksis?
Can I sell T-shirts?
Can we sell an Oldhammer print zine?
Can we sell a forum miniature we designed and cast ourselves?
Can we sell custom dice?

At Foundry, No.

So what you're proposing is that the big, recurring, annual event that we should all support as a community should have its terms dictated by a single business. I say no, I think that is a bad idea. Oldhammer is about reaching out to the industry at large, about diversity and about using Warhammer to support independents. Always has been, since 2011. Perhaps a real indication of their to support US, OUR movement, and OUR way of gaming, would be to lift their restrictions for the weekend.

If all people want to do is play 3rd Edition Warhammer with 80s Citadel Miniatures, I'm pretty sure Warhammer World would run an event for the old-timers, after all it's all their IP. :lol:

Orlygg

Zhu Bajie":2wib4524 said:
Orlygg":2wib4524 said:

I think you're missing the point and trying to shut down discussion prematurely. Relying on Foundry limits what the event could be and limits the movement and ideology. If Foundry were allowing other businesses, even micro-businesses, to trade at the event then that would be fine, but seriously by playing on their turf, by their rules:

Can I sell T-shirts?
Can we sell custom dice?

At Foundry, No.

So what you're proposing is that the big, recurring, annual event that we should all support as a community should have its terms dictated by a single business. I say no, I think that is a bad idea. Oldhammer is about reaching out to the industry at large, about diversity and about using Warhammer to support independents. Always has been, since 2011.

If all people want to do is play 3rd Edition Warhammer with 80s Citadel Minatures, I'm pretty sure Warhammer World would run an event for the old-timers, after all it's all their IP. :lol:

I look forwards to such an event being organised, promoted and run then. In the meantime, we have a day at the Foundry to enjoy, new regional groups being set up, a strong possibility of a presence at Salute and perhaps some other local shows in the next 6 months or so. We can debate the ins and outs of what Oldhammer is until the cows come home but the time for debate is over. We now need action at a local, regional, and even national level! This thread has proven that there are plenty of people willing to do this (and organising these things isn't easy) so let's just get on with it an have a good time doing it. It seems we have embryonic groups in East Anglia and Greater London taking first steps. I'd suggest other people doing the same.

Zhu Bajie

Orlygg":rtnjlj98 said:
I look forwards to such an event being organised, promoted and run then. In the meantime, we have a day at the Foundry to enjoy, new regional groups being set up, a strong possibility of a presence at Salute and perhaps some other local shows in the next 6 months or so. We can debate the ins and outs of what Oldhammer is until the cows come home but the time for debate is over. We now need action at a local, regional, and even national level! This thread has proven that there are plenty of people willing to do this (and organising these things isn't easy) so let's just get on with it an have a good time doing it. It seems we have embryonic groups in East Anglia and Greater London taking first steps. I'd suggest other people doing the same.

Nothing like a good discussion is there.

ardyer

I think part of the problem with the foundry vs. No foundry problem is that there is no decision on what the next event should even be. Different events necessitate different venues. And I suspect that you two are envisioning different things.

Orlygg

All I am envisioning is like minded folk meeting up and playing whatever they feel like playing without concerns about restrictions. Most people, though not all by a long way, want to play Warhammer, goggle other players minis, talk shop, have a beer and a few laughs.

These things are hard to do without someone organising a date, venue, gaming tables etc etc. we can lurk on these forums and talk the talk, but we have to get out there and organise things too.

Norse

Zhu Bajie":28zy6l23 said:
Can I sell T-shirts?
Can we sell custom dice?

At Foundry, No.

Can't do that at Salute either, not unless you want to pay the hugely expensive trade stand fees. Maybe we could split the cost of a single stand between us, but then you've got all sorts of paperwork, as well as needing someone to run it. We also wouldn't have anywhere near the gaming space that we get at the Foundry. Nor do we get the whole weekend. You still haven't answered how you expect any of that to work at a show like Salute!

I think you're seeing the Foundry event as a gamesday type thing, whereas some of us (and myself) are just seeing the Foundry event as being a chance to play some games with a good crowd of like-minded-ish people on some fantastic boards. Buying and selling stuff really isn't much of a part of that to me. If you want to do any of that, we really need our own event. That'll cost, but even with 30 odd people it wouldn't be all that difficult to arrange. The main problem would be somehow arranging enough boards.

Either way, running our own event elsewhere still doesn't preclude the possibility of also running one at the Foundry surely?

Harry: Sounds like a good idea to me! Do you ever game at the Patch on a Monday? I haven't been in years, stopped going when they started exclusively playing Field of Glory (can't stand that game), but I believe they do other things now. And I'm sure there'll be some there with old citadel, or suitable medieval armies to use as Brettonians or Empire that might be up for a game of Oldhammer or three.

Orlygg

Norse":18g7h5fe said:
Buying and selling stuff really isn't much of a part of that to me. If you want to do any of that, we really need our own event. That'll cost, but even with 30 odd people it wouldn't be all that difficult to arrange. The main problem would be somehow arranging enough boards.

And then it wouldn't be free. One thing I don't know is whether you have to pay a fee to present a game as part of a club at Salute. Anyone know?

Norse

Orlygg":3286m6lc said:
And then it wouldn't be free. One thing I don't know is whether you have to pay a fee to present a game as part of a club at Salute. Anyone know?

I've been trying to find out, but no joy so far. I wouldn't have thought so, but who knows?

Back