RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE .... Can you dig it?

Thantsants

Zhu - :shock:

So Katy Manning was barking up the wrong tree then!

I'm really looking forward to this Rumble in the Jungle - can't wait to see what Padre and Citadel Collector cook up between them!

lenihan":1tlxpuuc said:
I suppose I'd feel a bit more sceptical about Sci-Fi things spewing forth, I think broadly keeping the warhammer fantasy setting means that we don't lose focus on the southland/ jungle setting.

citcomp2001-03.jpg

;)

Padre

I am glad to hear Citadel Collector is so on the ball with this. And yeah, a few ancient artefact 'bang sticks' aren't out of order re: Warhammer fluffiness.

And I am very glad to hear lenihan's comments - I needed to know how others felt about the idea. I am in complete agreement on being careful with the feel and theme. Warhammery stuff coming out of the fluff fits the theme well, as does some wider ranging craziness as the rift goes haywire near the end.

We're getting close to finalising stuff. I am in the middle of running a WFB campaign right now, but will find time soon to come up with a solid final draft scenario outline re: scenery, temples, traps and dangers, arriving, nicking stuff (from temples and each other), leaving, etc.

I am gonna try and put in as much of my pygmy army in as possible as defenders of the valley, like my regiment of gorilla warriors and such like. Just need to find out what they 'count as' (probably Lizardmen, possible with str 4?)

lenihan

Citadel Collector":13kn4q1c said:
lenihan":13kn4q1c said:
I suppose I'd feel a bit more sceptical about Sci-Fi things spewing forth, I think broadly keeping the warhammer fantasy setting means that we don't lose focus on the southland/ jungle setting.

citcomp2001-03.jpg

;)

Touche!

Zhu Bajie

...and don't forget the Dalek in Vengeance of the Lichemaster!

Yeah, this looking like a great thing, v. jealous.

lenihan

Padre, I have a question borne out of my naivete/ignorance and current unfamiliarity with the old rules - but is reasonably important in terms of what models to paint/ bring. How many magic users should I be looking at including in this kind of elven expeditionary force? 0? 1? 2? more? I don't want them to appear overprepared (this is not a tooled up force, it's a light expedition with a specific objective, and I don't think they're expecting there'll be rivals), but obviously if magic is likely to be an important part of the game, I want to ensure I have models for magic users with me. I have one in particular that will fit very well with the scenario.

Padre

A toughie. I do recall back then we thought magic was powerful, as we used to limit our games to magic level 15 or below. But it's all relative. Magic may well actually be more powerful in 8th ed. I would say no such limits in this game as none of us probably know what magic is like.

The army list book says 5 model wizards is the max for any sized H Elf force. 3 level 5 or 3 level 10 or 3 level 15 or 2 level 20 or 1 level 25. Up to two thirds of points can be spent on characters.

Do you have the 3rd Ed WH Armies book?

Padre

I have it. Just wanted to know if you had it.

Having it doesn't mean I can recall anything about it. In my memory we banned above level 2 wizards, but that turned out to be a false memory 'cos they're actually listed as 5,10,15 etc. I do recognise the pictures in the Army Book, at least. Some part of my brain remembers the artwork, if little else.

Here is some information:

R&F Minimum = 1/3 army's total PV // Maximum = Whole army less one hero
Characters Minimum = one hero // Maximum = 2/3 army's total PV also 5 Wizards maximum

But without the book, that won't particularly help you.

I reckon it will be pretty easy for people to bring what seems a reasonable force in models to the event, then simply use the book on the Saturday to pencil up a force.

Harry

Padre":2sc68t32 said:
BUT I want to check first if everyone cool with the 'rift of random anythingness', re: including non-Warhammer stuff? I don't want it to jar with what people have signed up for.
I am as cool as Mr cool from cool land on a cold day ... the more fun and randomness the better.

Padre

So we're getting really close to the event. I wanted to put you all in the picture regarding my preparations as a GM. I am deliberately leaving the final outlining of the scenario to next week (Tues/Wed) 'cos I've got loads of other stuff on just now and over the weekend (work and learning for said work).

This thread should allow me to get right back up to speed on people's ideas, which was what I made it for (the first post being a summary of where we were up to, which I am now so glad I did).

Do want to remind you, Harry, don't forget your two stepped temples. I shall bring mine. Three temples should be sufficient for the scenario, though if I have time next week I might knock something up out of foam board.

lenihan

Looking forward to it! Let me know if you want any further information about my force, or anything like that.

Harry

Just finished some more Norse bringing their number up to 30.
I will post in this thread everything I am planning to bring if it helps your thinking.
Will bring the stepped Pyramids.

Thantsants

Padre - if you want it I may have the lower level of Rigg's shrine completed - or at least in a table worthy state in time. Mind you there's a fair bit of work so no worries if you think not - one less job to do and all that! :grin:

It's big and heavy - made out of Hirst Arts blocks. If I can sort out our SD card for our camera I'm hoping to get some pics on my blog (wife deleted all the pics on it and is convinced they can somehow be recovered - till then I'm not allowed to take any new pics because she's scared it'll overwrite the lost ones? :?: )

Slowly getting there with my Norsemen...

Padre

Thantsants - don't put yourself out to do the lower level of the shrine. I would not be able to live with the guilt (brought up a catholic and all that.) Three is good, 4 better if I do put one together. But you've got your own game to sort.

Thantsants

Fair enough - although I'm pretty much there for Orc's Drift apart from painting up the recently required King F'yar and his Wyvern and the Druid Snart.

I'll be pottering away on the temple all next week so if you change your mind let me know - might be a good motivator to get the lower level finished!

Padre

Hey, if it's motivation you're after, then yes please. We get another piece of temple scenery, you get the motivation you require - everyone's a winner. It means also that I can work on some other ideas for scenery I've had.

Norse

Padre: Is there room for some more Norse by any chance?

Edit - Thinking about it, Fumerend's Quest For Power could easily take him to the Southland temples too. So whichever you think you can fit in. Or both! I'm willing to let someone else play with one of my forces if there's someone without any miniatures, or one after the other as you mentioned at the end of the first post. Details in my Bring Out Your Armies thread; the entirety of neither army need not be used if there are bits that would work better. If the Frostwyrm does turn up though I imagine he needs to suffer from Stupidity at the very least (what with being used to colder climes).

Padre

Certainly there should be room. It's open to all comers (within reason at any one moment).

Meanwhile, an update. My plan was having 5 days (Mon-Fri), holiday days, to prep for this. Yes I have two little boys to look after, but 5 days - c'mon what could go wrong?

This: I have been ill since Friday, building up in a crescendo of ever increasing bouts of gut pain lasting half a day each time with only a few hours of comparatively less painful periods in between. And this afternoon has been the worst. I hope and pray (a) it's gone by the weekend and (b) it's gone in time that I can do the rest of the rules reading, scenario rules creation, stats and the scenery bits I wanted to add in.

Now, going back to bed as this period of relief has already come to and end.

Back