Looking For Game (UPDATED)

weazil

This thread is for players to start organising games for the Oldhammer event in August. This thread will form part of the booking form and supporting web page.

Essentially, this thread will be for players to post challenges or game invites. Because the event is NOT A TOURNAMENT, we're not planning on controlling how many points or what type of force you can bring - you'll need to engage some of your Oldhammer nonce and organise that with your opponent.

I'd recommend that you use this as an opportunity to build a game you'd really like to play. Don't feel that because someone is offering 2000 points that you must respond with 2000 points - use this thread to negotiate. Perhaps you want to create an army that isn't described in Warhammer Armies - maybe you have a specific scenario in miind, or you want to play an existing scenarion (like Forenrond's Last Stand) with different armies. Perhaps you really want a 'standard' 3000 points vs. 3000 points game. That's okay too.

The point is - use this thread advertise that you are looking for a game and what sort of game you are looking for. Okay?

PLEASE don't post here until you've read the event information and filled in the form.

AS AN EXAMPLE OF THE SORT OF THING YOU MIGHT POST:

I've got about 3500 points of Chaos (including a chaos host with a wyvern). I'd love to play an assault a smaller defence force, perhaps protecting a bridge or mountain pass. I'm looking for something quite heroic, so maybe a few well equipped high level characters on the defense force and possibly the chaos force summoning a daemon or elemental. Very high fantasy. Any takers?

OR, YOU MIGHT POST:

+- 90 Wood Elves - basically a wood elf patrol. I'm easy on the sort of game, but I'd like to have at least one forest on the table and I'd like prefer to play a human army, as this fits in with the location of the wood elf patrol in my own campaign.

OR, AS A THIRD EXAMPLE:

I don't have a legal army according to Warhammer Armies - I've got about 30 dark elves and 30 or so orcs. I want to create a custom army lead by an undead chaos champion who has united the orcs and dark elves. They've also acquired a cannon along the way and a chaos dwarf necromancer. Anyone interested in something a little more unusual.

OR, I GUESS:

3000 points Empire. Looking for opponent.

ALSO...

...feel free to ask other members to design a scenario for you. That way, a 3rd party with no attachment to the outcome or the armies playing could try and balance the forces against each other and provide a reason for the fight. You don't have to, but this is a place to do that as well.

Of course, any questions, just ask.

Thanks

Coopdevil

OK, just filled in that form and registered here.

Didn't really get on with that form TBH... didn't seem to be to an option to just say "want to play the RoC game on at least one of the days". Think I've ended up suggesting that I'll just turn and play nothing :(

Anyway, I'm prepared to run, on one of the days (because I want to play in RoC on the other one) a every man for himself game of Rogue Trader based upon a similar event held at Gamesday BITD.

I'll post the details in another thread rather than fill this one up with other stuff.

Coop

weazil

Hi Coop

Thanks for the feedback (and the registration). I realise I included your option, but I was supposed to contact you to discuss more - I'll be writing shortly to discuss stewarding the participation games to allow the hosts to do other things when they're there - I'll include you in that discussion. Apologies that I've not done that yet. I shall blame the economy, Eastleigh by-election and the recent Korean underground nuclear bomb test.

That said, I've changed the form to indicate that the RT game will now be on the Sunday. I didn't initially put them on days, because (apart from you) everyone else would largely be able to jump in and jump out of these games, meaning they could arrange their other gaming and fit these in 'in-between' if that makes sense. The form was just to get an approximate count of who is interested in what.

Could I ask that you check out the registration form again to see if it now makes sense?

Thanks

Coopdevil

Yeah, that makes sense put myself down to participate in my own game.

As for scenery I was planning on borrowing a load from my wargames club for the RT game so I should be able to get some for Warhammer as well but there is the problem that I don't have much room for luggage in the car it being a silly two-seater and all.

Coop

Davey

Hey folks, I've just registered for the event.

I'll be bringing my Slaaneshi Army and my Genestealer Cult. (I've also got several buildings I can bring). I need to have a proper sit down and figure out points values for each of them and then I'll post up and come looking for challengers. Incidentally, I'd like to go for multi-player games if possible, to maximise the sociability.

Thantsants

I hear Budapest is lovely in the Springtime when the geese fly South...

I'm hoping for something along similar lines - in between running Orc's Drift of course so I might have to play things by ear somewhat...

DrBargle

I'm about to register. One thing though - there is no Dwarfs check box on the 'what I will bring' list.

Shall I just describe them as primitive Squats?

[I'll bring a small Dwarf army, a Chaos warband, a 10 man marine squad, and a Blood Bowl team or two. I'll bring a bit of scenery, all a bit dull. Other things might get added, depending on painting.]

weazil

What, no Dw...oh. Look - I've just checked the form and there's an option for dwarfs (or even dwarves). And I didn't just add it or anything :oops:

Anyway, form is fixed now. Not that there was anything missing, just - y'know - fixed something else that was in the same region as the totally obvious dwarf option.

I've updated your entry appropriately - thanks for registering :)

Thanks

Hetz

I'll bring Orcs or Dwarves. Can prolly do any size pointswise - sub 10,000 :razz: If anyone would like to play either of these let me know so I can get painting. :shock:

I shall also bring RT Marines and perhaps a BB team.

Padre

I have many (I really do mean many) painted armies, and have played since 1st ed. I like themed (but fair) armies. So, having just glanced through the 3rd ed Warhammer Armies book for inspiration, looking for a chance to use figures I rarely use, or haven't used in a long while, I came up with the following idea.

One big game per day, 2000 to 3000 points (maybe more), using a force which is built from the Army Lists but is actually a weird combination. Y'know how Slann can have a Pygmy allied contingent? Well I want to do an Undead army with Pygmy allies.

I'll enjoy coming up with more background, but basically I want a Vampire/Necromancer (both?) who arrived somewhere in the south (Lustria or Southlands) with an undead force looking for something (ancient magical artifact?). During his travels the Vampire/Necromancer kills a bunch of pirates then resurrects them (zombies in pirate clothes) and also subdues a local pygmy tribe. Thus the army is a legal undead force (ancient skeleton warriors with recently killed zombies) allied with a legal pygmy contingent. The only non-rules bit is allying them in the first place.

PS: I have never really been that good at tactics and can barely remember 3rd edition rules. I can read them before I come, so I should be better clued up by then.

I am hazy about the points value 'cos I haven't done an estimate of the costings for a satisfactorily meaty sized force. Probably 3000. I'll get back to you on this.

Anyone interested in taking on such a force? Maybe you, Hetz? Anyone else?

Harry

Seriously tempted to throw together some Lizardmen, Amazons and Norse in an unholy allaince ... fighting side by side only out of dire need .... to take on the undead pygmy army of Dooooooom. :grin:

weazil

Loving that idea, Padre - excellent. Funny, as I read it, I conjured up this idea of voodoo related activity - which then got me thinking - imagine if the pygmies were the 'host' army and the undead the 'allies' (forget the army composition crap - carry on as you described). You could have a high level pygmy necromancer who has used powerful juju to raise a legion of zombies and has himself subjugated a vampire to his will - just a poor explorer captain forced into an eternity of undeath by an evil pygmy witch doctor! This way, the small pygmy force are actually the core and most important members of the force - small, but the whole reason for the army being as it is.

Anyway, just a thought :)

I'd love to say I'll pick this one up, but as one of the organisers, I'm not yet clear on which events I'll need to steward (need the bookings to give us an idea, see). I'll definitely be playing, but what and when I can't say yet. I'll keep an eye on your 'dance card', though :)

Thantsants

I'd love to add my Norsemen and women, and Amazons and Slann and any Lizardmen I get painted up to such a battle - but like Gaj I'm not sure how much "spare" time I'll have.

Plus Warlord Paul has kindly offered to be my safety net :grin:

Harry

Thantsants":2728gp89 said:
I'd love to add my Norsemen and women, and Amazons and Slann and any Lizardmen I get painted up to such a battle - but like Gaj I'm not sure how much "spare" time I'll have.
Go on .... you know you want to.
I can't get near to 3,000 points on my own but I need the excuse to paint up my C30 Amazons .... you know you want to see me paint my amazons and finish my Skeggi Norse.

Besides, which me and padre need someone who knows the rules. :grin:

Padre

@ Weazil: I think I like your idea better than mine. Same force, but yours is a more colourful background. The pygmy necromancer might not want to re-animate his own kind (its just not done), but gets a thrill out of re-animating dead 'big men'. Perhaps he believes his god(s) expect him to do it, or maybe he does it to help drive off other strangers from his tribal lands? Perhaps he himself is a vampire?! But a crazy, powerful witchdoctor sounds better. Using, like you said, a voodoo like magic.

I still want some skeletons in the mix, rather than just zombies. So perhaps he reanimated the skeletons from an ancient ruined settlement of northmen invaders, or the long dead remains of a Desert Men expedition (if it is the Southlands). And the zombies still get to be recently killed pirates.

@ Harry: Your idea of a reluctant alliance of otherwise antagonistic forces is genius. The living forced to work together against the dead - like a Zombie film where the disparate characters have to work together to survive. By Lizardmen do you mean the old Slann models? (I have never seen any sort of force of those, and only have three myself.) Or Lizardmen? Hee hee, what if some of the skeletons in my army were resurrected from Amazon burial grounds, or raised up from the sea bottom where their norse bones fell from the burning funeral ships? If it's your great great great grandma and grandpa being animated you're surely going to be somewhat miffed.

@ Thantants: If only you had the time. The proud and ancient Slann race (3rd ed style) would surely want to get rid of such a foul taint along the borders of their realm. Perhaps the pygmy tribe in question were once their vassals and have been lured into the service of the witchdoctor, who claims he is a much more potent magical force than any slann or big man, so much so that he is a more worthy lord and master?

I'm now dead keen to go looking for what jungle scenery I have (it's all boxed up somewhere).

Keep me in mind, guys, and if you can do a game, we can work out more details re: forces, background and (if necessary) scenario, though basically a battle is possibly scenario enough for such unusual forces.

Thantsants

Well perhaps I may get a little time on one of the days - I'll bring my stuff and any jungle terrain I make as part of my Magnificent Sven/Rigg's Shrine project before then anyway on the off chance...

Harry - I may know the rules - just not necessarily in the right order sometimes! ;)

And yes I'd love to see your take on the Amazons 8-)

Harry

Sadly I have no slann. Only Lizardmen ... but if Thantsants is IN! :grin:

I have these guys:

img5641vv8.jpg

img5618wn3.jpg

img6159.jpg

I have about 50 amazons and maybe 30 Perry Norse

But ... I do have two of these. :grin:

img6535.jpg

img6534h.jpg

img6540y.jpg

Padre

Love the scenery, Harry - better than my own 'Linka' stepped temple by far.

In terms of 3rd ed, those big guys at the back (Kroxigors?) could be Troglodytes (40 by 40 bases). The salamanders could be some sort of cold ones (25x25mm) or the equivalent to giant frogs (25x50mm) or snails (40x40mm)?

The swarms ... erm ... 3rd ed swarm rules are weird. 50mm diameter circles with 10 creatures stuck on using (quote) 'temporary adhesive', etc. But you could simply use them altogether as a swarm. Seems expensive at 250 points for one swarm, but you can only have one according to the Slann list and those four together would loook right for something so expensive.

As for the norse, there's the Norse merc contingent in the list (use as allies not mercs) and your amazons, well, you'll have to work out a list of your own. Could they be some sort of wood elf ally or main list equivalent? That could be perfect depending on your figures.

fuljason

I'll be bringing a Khornate Warband and either an RT marine squad or a renegade squad for the two main event, I have filled in my booking form but did not put my name down for any other event as I did not know how long the main events will take but I be happy to take part in any other game so i'll play it by ear, if you look lonely and I am free I will descend upon you.
thanks
J

Back