Oldhammer Weekender RoC Warbands Game Setup and discussion

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2013, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Oldhammer Weekender RoC Warbands Game Setup and discussion

Here are the details as they currently stand.

The game will be played over a rectangular table set up. This may be many tables pushed together, or more than one table. This largely depends on interest, so we will be able to provide more detail about this in the future.

All table edges will be possible entry points to the game, though one will be selected as Khorne only and other as Slannesh only, leaving the player with three possible entry points to enter the conflict.

A player may enter the conflict at any time, or elect to withdraw his warband at anytime, similar to the way that you can drop in and out of online Xbox 360 games as you wish, though withdraws will need to be moved as part of the game turn. This should provide a great deal of flexibility about where you choose to start with your warband, and would represent the champion selecting the best possible position for his forces upon arrival at the battle. You could even play for a while, move out of the action, and return later if you so wished.

Models can be treated as character models (they move independently) or as units. Units can be mixed on racial grounds, so dwarfs, goblins and skaven all in one unit is fine, with the restriction that movement will be calculated by the slowest moving member of the unit and that base sizes need to be consistent with the unit as a whole.

Reward points will be given to champions for different actions, though these are yet to be fully confirmed, but would look something like this.

Champion killing a follower of enemy god = 1 reward point
Champion killing a champion of enemy god = 5 reward points
Khorne Champion killing an ally = 3 reward points
Slannesh Champion killing through pleasure (acquiesence spell, chaos weapon etc) = 3 points
and so on.

This should provide contributors with three things.
1) Rewards that can be spent on developing your champion and warband after the event.
2) A tally of points which allows us to identify the champion of champions (the model with the most points after the game is over)
3) A tally of points which allows us to identify which side (Chaos God) has won the battle over all.

Its early days, but this is how things stand at the moment.

Any comments, ideas or questions, please don't hesitate to make them below.
Warhammer is dead! Long live Third!

Check out Orlygg's blogs at http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://warhammer40000roguetrader.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Re: Oldhammer Weekender RoC Warbands Game Setup and discussi

This is great, forgive me my earlier concerns, I was worried we were going either tournamenty with this or else a more orchestrated experience. Clearly I was wrong.

Now I'm just looking forward to bashing your Khornate bonce in ;)

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:00 pm

Are we all trying to stick to one warband or can we bring several along?

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Personally, one person, one warband on table at a time.

That would allow you to:

Bring warbands for other people to use.

Start again if you die quickly.

Tag team. But you would necessarily then run the risk of not collecting many reward points as you hovered round the table edge and divided your scoring opportunities between bands.

Two or more on table at the same time controlled by you could easily be played to benefit just one champion. If you want an alliance work it out with other players.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks Erny. Sorry, I should have clarified - I didnt mean I would want to use multiple warbands at the same time, I was just wondering if I could bring several and then have a selection to choose from during the course of the day. Being undivided I'm not particularly aligned to one Power... :)

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Ok so sort of how I thought things could work.

Just to point out this is just my thoughts, if everyone else thinks multiple at one time is a good idea, then I bow to the majority.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Given how long its been since I played, handling one warband at a time will be quite enough of a challenge for me...

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Yes, one warband per player makes narrative sense. I shall be bringing my Slanneshi and Khornate Warbands that Dan and I used our campaign. Dan's very attached to his Doomaxes, so will no doubt be fielding them, leaving me with the Throng of Exquisite Pleasure. I hope to complete an additional Khorne warband over the coming months so I can choose which God to support on the day.

For me, its going to be more entertaining to pledge support to one god and partake in all the banter that will go alongside it.

I will suggest some additional rules to the game concerning multi warband players.

Upon the death of a Champion the player can;
1) remove their warband from the field - this will represent them fleeing as individuals, or slipping away to join warbands of successful champions after the battle. The player could then decide if they wished to field a new warband to the same. or different, god.
2) Nominate a model to 'take command' of their warband. I am a sure that all forces would have a second in command waiting in the wings, and Chaos warbands would be no exception. The character would receive an 'instant' reward of a chaos weapon, chaos armour or chaos attribute (depending on dice roll). Players may want to think about who this is in advance and have appropriate plans.
Warhammer is dead! Long live Third!

Check out Orlygg's blogs at http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://warhammer40000roguetrader.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:38 pm

I'll be bringing a larger Slaaneshi force, which I'm currently building, that I can field in several games. But at it's heart there will be a warband for the big event.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm also thinking of inventing some of my own chaos attributes for my figures - nothing too powerful, just stuff to add to narrative - I hope that's OK?
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2013