Request for Official feedback

illuminatus

Hello,
Clearly a good time was had by all and those of us who couldn't make it are supremely jealous. Some of us are discussing the idea of having a similar event in France next year and we would appreciate some feedback from the organizers (and participants, of course) about what worked and what didn't and what they'll be for changing next year's event.

TIA

-=I=-

Orlygg

The success of Oldhammer Weekend was due to two things in my opinion. Having one guy doing the communication with the venue, which was Garth, or weasil on this forum, which meant we didn't suffer from the problem of too many chiefs. He skilfully organised group telephone calls between himself and a small group of other organisers so we could discuss things before hand

Secondly, the venue itself. The Ansell family, Bryan, Diane and Marcus, did all the difficult stuff, like build wargames tables, provide a bar, give advice on accommodation and parking, provide cooked food and generally be really helpful and supportive.

weazil

A brief brain dump I've been putting together throughout the day (in an inconsistent and non-proof read way):

The main problem I ran into was that it wasn't a tournament.

In our case, things were made a lot easier by the fact that Foundry didn't charge anything and were able to provide the entire venue, tables, scenery, toilets and the basics at no cost at all. But, being free was its own two edged sword:

Because entrants (gamers) didn't need to pay to get in (as I think is typical of most normal gaming days at clubs), the commitment to appear on the day was not the same. Many people who were making the rigth noises just didn't appear, including events organisers. By the same token, lots of desire was expressed for certain events, but on the day, none of those players pitched up. If you can find a solution to this problem, I think you'll have a much easier time predicting what will happen on the day.

Things we sort of discussed but didn't really do anything about:

1. The painting competition (golden gobbo)
2. Trading/selling
3. Art and figure displays

In our case, #3 worked out the best without much guidance, with a vague nod to #1. I got the impression most people would have wanted more formality around #2, presumably in the shape of a bring-and-buy or an official trade stand so that people knew when and where to trade.

Again, because its not a tournament, I didn't feel it would be right to try and set any army or scenario rules (like points sizes) - nor did we have a means of matching opponents to each other. I think in a tournament, its easy because the attendee can just pitch up and be told what to do and where to go, whilst pretty much knowing that things will be okay because everyone else is obeying the same rules as him.

We didn't have any 'fair' (an interesting concept in oldhammer generally, but lets use it in comparison to the tournament approach) way to match opponents to each other, so we decided to leave it to the players to organise on a thread on the forum.

I believe that all the games that were pre-arranged were much more successful and interesting than the ones that spontaneously happened - so, if you can compel your attendees to do this, or you find a system that provides guidance without mandating behaviour, you're on to a winner.

On this game arranging thread, I got the impression that generally, people were afraid to set scenarios or ask for the type of game they wanted and I suspect this was as a result of fear of judgement from the community. I think this was also because no-one really knew what to expect, so the idea was to aim low. Laziness probably had a part to play as well. In the end, the few scenarios that were proposed ended up becoming the large 'event' games on the day. As a result of a lot of support by both the players and having GM's, I think these games looked like the most fun of all.

That said, I think that many of the players would have liked to participate in one big multi-player game on one of the days and play a smaller game (or at least, a different game) on the other day, so bear this in mind with organising multi-player epic games.

In terms of the large games, I would strongly recommend not having more than two player phases in a turn - having a three, four or five player turn sequence is hard to manage and takes a huge amount of time. This does suggest a nominal A vs. B style of game - but because you're at a show, I think that's a bit better.

lenihan

weazil":29ng3ztp said:
In terms of the large games, I would strongly recommend not having more than two player phases in a turn - having a three, four or five player turn sequence is hard to manage and takes a huge amount of time. This does suggest a nominal A vs. B style of game - but because you're at a show, I think that's a bit better.

Multiple player turns worked ok for rumble in the jungle... BUT we did play over 2 days (leaving all our minis in situ)! If we'd been trying to get through it in a day, it wouldn't have worked.

Padre

Yeah, in the Rumble we had (I think) 6 or 7 player turns to get through - it was good as an experiment, but not the fastest or most satisfying way to proceed. I reckon a cap at 3 or 4 would improve the pace of the game very much. In other ways, the Rumble worked ok.

axiom

I was only there for a few hours of pre-arranged Blood Bowling. My main feedback is that name badges (real names / forum names) would have helped enormously in identifying who was who. A loose timetable might have helped also :)

Asslessman

axiom":3qilq7p4 said:
I was only there for a few hours of pre-arranged Blood Bowling. My main feedback is that name badges (real names / forum names) would have helped enormously in identifying who was who. A loose timetable might have helped also :)
plus you avoid awkward situations : "Hey JB, Have you seen that idiot acelessman? can't stand the guy, if I meet him I just punch him in the face" "hum yeah, well I am him" :grin:

Padre

Asslessman":14erd9rl said:
plus you avoid awkward situations : "Hey JB, Have you seen that idiot acelessman? can't stand the guy, if I meet him I just punch him in the face" "hum yeah, well I am him" :grin:

OMG, that happened to you. Hey man, that's awful. Then again, at least you gained an insight into your idiocy, so there was a bright side :roll:

Blue in VT

that name tag suggestion is good one...in all the discussions of the pictures from the Nottingham event I still have no idea who anyone is because I can't associate forum names with real world names except in a very few cases!

Thanks for the other feedback...lots to think about there.

Cheers,

Blue

weazil

ACtually, knowing the names (as in, their actual names) of people you meet before you meet them is quite important. By never actually checking what Skarsnik And Old Lead's real name was, Dreamfish and I ended up in the peculiar situation on the Friday night where we had to walk around Bugman's Bar in Warhammer World asking the locals if they were Skarsnik, or happened to know him and his present location.

There is no other place on earth where that scenario could be weirder...

Asslessman

Padre":r46menx0 said:
Asslessman":r46menx0 said:

OMG, that happened to you. Hey man, that's awful. Then again, at least you gained an insight into your idiocy, so there was a bright side :roll:

I wasn't there, it didn't. Doesn't prevent from such insights though...

Padre

Asslessman":25t3148d said:
Padre":25t3148d said:
Asslessman":25t3148d said:

I wasn't there, it didn't. Doesn't prevent from such insights though...

I'm glad you weren't there because it would have been awful for you - people who actually want to punch you in the face. Couldn't you wear those protectors that boxers sparring partners wear or something like that, then you could attend with confidence. Or am I entirely missing the point. Oh, and yeah, I'm gonna have to stop this nonsense 'cos it bulks out an important thread with my daft ramblings and I could get in a lot of trouble.

Padre

BTW, if anyone else is wondering, all my replies above are just me being silly, not intended to offend at all. I am simply pretending to misunderstand the posts completely.

Back