Oldhammer Gathering North American Style!

Blue in VT

Howdy all,

I just wanted to get a thread started here that would allow us poor slobs on the other side of the pond discuss/plan/pray for a Oldhammer weekend of our own.

I've had discussions with a number of folks through the Facebook page...and I imagine they will be along shortly...right now we are considering finding a venue to host a weekend...rather than participating at a Convention because we feel the Oldhammer vibe will get diluted and overwhelmed by a much larger event.

So if you are interested...have ideas...or just want to play a game with some like mined folks then keep an eye on this thread and post when appropriate!

Cheers,

Blue

Erny

Good luck with this Blue, really would be great to see this up and running, non-UK Oldhammer days are the thing I'd most like to see come out of this next year of our little community.

Need any help pimping the day or advice on organising the event just ask us all here.

Naagruz

Solid idea & a good time to start planning (saving airmiles) if nothing else.

Given the distance involved, would an East, West, or Midwest locale be best? Compared to the U.K. folks (the U.K. could fit in California), this type of event could be a bit more logistically interesting.

Furthermore, does anyone have local venue support, or a big garage with game tables & a fridge? :grin:

Golgfag1

Could that fridge fit in the UK? :mrgreen: If so, you might have quite a few expressions of interest. :lol:

Paul / Golgfag1

Naagruz":ef7uhfx2 said:
Solid idea & a good time to start planning (saving airmiles) if nothing else.

Given the distance involved, would an East, West, or Midwest locale be best? Compared to the U.K. folks (the U.K. could fit in California), this type of event could be a bit more logistically interesting.

Furthermore, does anyone have local venue support, or a big garage with game tables & a fridge? :grin:

Well, on a selfish note, I think the optimum spot geographically speaking is the midwest... right around Dallas, Texas.

Seriously though, I doubt I could travel too far in the next year. I would be interested in mailing in a submission if there is any kind of competition going on. I'm not an outstanding painter, but it would make me feel like I was contributing in some small way.

Another point about conventions vs dedicated get-together. In a convention interest in Oldhammer might be diluted, but that is where you can actually show the hobby/movement/cult to people who might not otherwise ever know about it. Not that we need the ebay competition...

Blue in VT

Great! Glad to see some life in this thread. Yeah the geography makes this a particular challenge for us North American types. In discussions that I've had with Attilla13 and a few others we've batted around the idea of trying to organize a traveling "road show" type of circuit...an event on the east coast...then a few months later one in the midwest....one on the west coat...one in the south etc. the difficulty with that is keep some sort of continuity and focus for the various events. It doesn't seem likely that anyone of us would be able to attend all the events...so how do we organize such a road show?

In the debate between specific Oldhammer events...and participation at an established event...I can see many advantages and disadvantages to both. I like the idea of "exposing" a larger community to the wonders of Oldhammer at a con...but think that it would have to be a fairly spectacular table to attract much attention. On the other hand an Oldhammer event for Oldhammerers is a bit narcissistic and insulated....but has the advantage of really letting us focus on what we like most...gaming with and drooling over old minis etc. To my mind if you can gather a couple of people in your area and play a game at a Convention (even a pick up game if they have open tables) then go for it! the more the better....but I would prefer to have a more focused event as our first "official" Oldhammer NA event.

That of course leads to the question of where...and when...

Cheers,

Blue

Attilla13

Completely agree Blue. I think until we can get some momentum built up on the Oldhammer Wild Hogs Roadshow (movie reference) a few smaller contained events might work. It will get us in practice, and get us together in small groups. We can also build up our presentation games, and then have a bigger event, hopefully with more people able to attend. Also think that anything done at a convention needs to be more "show-off" than just about anything. It should be insular (ie, establish who is playing before the event) and allow people to see it and (hopefully) marvel at the cool older stuff, and have some handouts with basic Oldhammer info to hand out. One of the things that I think might detract would be if uncommitted people just came up and played. If we kept it "in house" even at those events, it could be fun for everyone (and still be able to show off and talk about it with anyone who stops by) involved, but would display the ethos and the figures/terrain/presentation in a way that WE are comfortable. This would let us let people know what it is all about, instead of having others define it for you. This would mean that those playing might have to keep a bit more of an eye on the surroundings so they could help market Oldhammer, but since it is something we all enjoy, I doubt that would be too hard.
My original plan when I talked with Blue was to try something towards middle late to late summer. But I also think a few small events before that would really help. just make sure to spread it around (with pics if you can) on blogs, facebook and on here as well. That way, as we hopefully get more and more into the sites, then they can see that we are moving towards an event for here in the states. In that regard, I am hoping to have some type of get together in February. A few choices seem to be the VA/MD area (somewhat in middle of east coast, and a few gamers there in the area) or Ohio, more central but I think it may be more of a drive for more people, so something on the east coast first makes some sort of sense to me. Stuff of Legends's Orclord has a really good game basically ready to go, and I have one that we are getting the terrain together for. Hopefully that sounds like something people would like and be ale to take part in. And I know it is not convenient for everyone (it would be between 13-16 hour drive for me-but luckily I do have a place to stay in Baltimore) but it is somewhat central for the east coast members (on the oldhammer opponent finder). A two day event would be great, so hopefully Orclord's store would be able to accommodate.

Let me know what you think - Attilla13 www.oldhammerinthenewworld.blogspot.com (aka Kaleb Hordes)

Attilla13

No, he has a store he games at....and he thought they could host an event.....or we could try one like dropzone games....

but not his store, but one he plays (and I assume, buys from)

Back