Should we put on a game at Salute 2016?

Now that the dust has settled over Salute 2015 (I really didn't have nearly enough time to do it justice, I'm a bit gutted) would anybody be interested in putting on and running a game at next years event?
My initial thoughts (being up bright and early with the babies) is to run a game on two nearly identical tables that could be set up next to each other. When I say nearly identical, one board is a fantasy one and the other is RT. Imagine there being a magical relic, a large chaotic standing stone or something, in the centre of the fantasy board and and identical relic being excavated in the centre of the RT one, with more sci-fi accoutrements around such as pipes and buildings. Both boards start off with forces suited for the setting, maybe elves/eldar vs dwarves/squats vs orcs/orks and maybe humans as well to give us a 4 way match.
Here's the twist.
Every round the relic on either board might activate ( on a 1 or a 6 say) and ZAPP!!! and a random unit is transported through time and lands on the other board and after recovering from the shock, carries on fighting for their side. Cue lots of silliness and chaos.
I reckon we'd need 8 forces of about 20 or so figures each, 2 Gm's, 2 boards and we'd need to decide if it's a demo game or a participation game.

Anyway, thats just me thinking out loud. What does the collective brain think?

Golgfag1

I'm might be up for this, if, enough of us step up to the mark? But, a word of caution - having spoken the the lads who put on the third edition game this year (Sorry, I haven't looked up their details or found their card yet) and I'm sure they'd tell you themselves - they played almost two complete turns the entire day, most of their time was talking to 'Joe Public' explaining what they were doing, to ethos of the game, the figures etc etc. Because people were asking which in my opinion is great for Oldhammer.

We'd be pretty much doing the same thing, so lets starting debating this now - anybody else, got any ideas for a scenario, so we can start discussing the merits of what we do and the implications for encouraging others to join the fold.

My two pennies worth for now 8-)

Paul / Golgfag1

Yeah I get that general impression from folk running games. That's why I thought of keeping the number of figures fairly low and letting folk join in if they want. I think the main focus would have to be the table and the mini's. We'd want it to look awesome and attract people over. I'm up for building the board what ever shape it eventually takes.

Golgfag1

weazil":nl2p8r3v said:
Does it cost any money to have a game there? If so, do we know how much?

Don't know, if they do charge for demo games, maybe, if their tied into a particular manufacturer/game which has taken a stand - I've got contacts via WAR who provide stewards will ask the question and get back to you on that one.

Will also ask about numbers of helpers (can't see them (South London Warlords)providing too many free passes into Salute) would think we'd need four to six, three to run the game, two to engage with spectators and a spare.

Paul / Golgfag1

I think the idea of a paired RT/WHFB board is amazing, and I agree that actual play is unlikely. Having different squads/warbands for people to join in with would be a fantastic idea. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Part of me really wants plaster-cast domes and deodorant vehicles.

Blue in VT

Though I will obviously not be attending can I suggest that you have 1-2 people who are there just to talk withy the public? That way there can actually be some game play as well as public interpretation...? Perhaps players can swap out every once in while? Can you tell I work at a museum...? :)

I really like the idea of the two tables!

Do we know the crew that ran the game this year?

Cheers,

Blue

It's a bit early obviously but there is no harm about giving it some thought and finding out whether it's something we as a community would want to do. Traditionally games are put on by clubs and I see this forum as a kind of virtual club. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to do it.

Zhu Bajie

I like sci-fantasy mashup idea for a demo/participation game.

Just throwing this out there as a historical precedent and perhaps some inspiration:

citcomp1021-01.jpg

What's that from? I've seen it before but my poor sleep deprived brain is having trouble placing it. However it does give me the idea of adding a further time travel effect into the game of transporting dinosaurs and cavemen hunting parties into either gamer to add further fun and confusion. To be honest, if there was enough time during the weekend I'd love to run this at BOYL15. Sounds like it'd be right laugh.

Calumma

I'd definitely be interested in this. I've helped run participation games before and will almost certainly be attending Salute next year.

Having read this thread I now understand why it didn't look like they were actually playing the demo game of 3rd. I feel guilty for talking with them now :grin:

Back