Oldhammer Weekend Ireland Nov. 21 2015

Just John

Re: Oldhammer Weekend Ireland 2015

That sounds great Piers. As it is your clubs big game event I think the rest of us would be happy with any alternate date you come up with. As you say there is no way of picking a date that would suit everyone.

cheetor

Gallowglacht":n6sbzac0 said:
Right so, let's see if we can turn this potential negative into a positive.
How's about we go to Kildare, have some games, have some drinks and put our heads together and make a plan to host another one on another date in addition?

An excellent idea. When?

Feb/March suits me currently.

Piers B":n6sbzac0 said:
Of course, we could just move the date...

If thats something that you can manage then that would be great, but dont scupper your plans unless you think that its worth it. I do think that clashing with the UK BOYL/Oldhammer event will make things potentially difficult for some combination of Just John, Mr Saturdays, theottovonbismark and me, but I dont speak for the group or anything.

Piers B":n6sbzac0 said:
we were utterly unaware of other Oldhammer types in Ireland.

All the more reason to get together in that case. Nostalgic, grumpy, fully painted, retro miniature glory awaits ;)

Just John, Mr Saturdays, theottovonbismark and I have been involved in running games at two different cons this year (Brocon documented HERE and HERE and Knavecon documented HERE. The lads covered them on their blogs too). We also had a couple of sessions at our own places.

I will make one caveat though that I have learnt after organising big games over the last 5 years, its virtually impossible to get a date to suit all parties and you do have to pick one and go for it.

Amen. Its always herding cats.

Fingers crossed that it will work out.

In this case, as it clashes with the UK event I think its worth considering an alternative.

I agree, but as you are the guys doing the legwork in this case, it has to be entirely up to you too. Thanks all the same, I dont want to sound ungrateful :)

Piers B

Had a chat with my chaps and we cant see any issue in moving dates, and it seems to suit our UK members if we move.

We have another big game planned so will likely do that instead.

The hotel venue seems generally available when ever we may require it, but we are investigating a couple of alternatives. Alot depends on dates, but it will have to be in the latter half of 2015 for a big event. If winter time, that rules out the warehouse option as its too bleeding cold!

So really we need to decide what the event should be before we can look at a suitable venue.

Is it a one day event or a weekend?

Is it one big game, several smaller games or a narrative campaign fought over the weekend? This is the key factor in defining the venue as it will tell us what resources we require.

Im fairly easy and dont mind too much what is done. I kinda like the idea of a mini games day with various games on over the weekend run by different GMs as everyone takes a turn. Would take more organising and may not suit the venue we used this year, but all this needs peoples input as to what they want to get from the weekend.

You can never cater to everyone's tastes but we may get some consensus of opinion... or it may be like herding cats.

cheetor

Thanks for making the effort with this Piers.

Piers B":st48c2u9 said:
I kinda like the idea of a mini games day with various games on over the weekend run by different GMs

For what its worth I like that idea. Sharing the organisational load is best.

Piers B":st48c2u9 said:
as everyone takes a turn.

I am very in favour of that.

Piers B

I think, the venue we used last year could easily hold four 6 x 4 tables, or some variant in sizes of that.

We could structure the day(s) to have a series of games. So something like...

Day 1

Table 1 (6x4) - Rogue Trader
Table 2 (6x4) - Terror of the Lichemaster Scenario 1 (AM) Scenario 2 (PM)
Table 3 (8x4) - Warhammer 3rd Edition Battle

Day 2

Table 1 (6x4) - Rogue Trader
Table 2 (6x4) - Man O War
Table 3 (8x6) - Terror of the Lichemaster Final Battle

Obviously these are only examples, but you get the idea. If we need to, we need to make sure all GMs get to rotate and play, not just GM. I want everyone to get to play as much as possible. If we can we will go without GMs.

Just John

That looks good Piers. I do think GM's would help things run smoother though.

Piers B

Yes... Generally they do. But we just need to make sure GMs dont feel like all they have done is let others play...

Which is easily solved with cycling games and players through. I suspect we will have a small enough numner of attendees, say 10 to 12, so with three games on offer its easy enough for people to volunteer to run a scenario. That said, my lot are fairly easy going and we rarely have a GM for games, so it does depend to a degree on the type of game.

But variety and fun are the key aspects.

I think we can certainly have some good looking, and fun to play games on offer for those attending. I will be meeting with my cadre on Saturday (its the finale of 'Death on the Reik' in our WFRP The Enemy Within campaign!) so will have a chat with them too.

cheetor

Piers B":1tt8ch4w said:
Yes... Generally they do. But we just need to make sure GMs dont feel like all they have done is let others play...

Which is easily solved with cycling games and players through.

Thats the best approach I think. In my experience these things work better when people are equally invested.

Piers B":1tt8ch4w said:
I suspect we will have a small enough numner of attendees, say 10 to 12,

Thats more than enough really I would think.

I can provisionally offer to run some sort of RT themed thing if you like, but I would like to get to play in some other folks RT games too perhaps. I have some pretty decent, pulpy Deathworld terrain that features a lot of hazardous flora and fauna. Nothing says RT like a hostile deathworld :)

deathworldjungle8.jpg

I think we can certainly have some good looking, and fun to play games on offer for those attending.

I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Piers B

That looks all manner of awesome sauce... Proper RT table!

Im hoping to build a ruined cityscape... Done one for WW2, so may aswell do a Sci-Fi one!

cheetor

Piers B":2q6vhbvc said:
That looks all manner of awesome sauce... Proper RT table!

Its fun and pretty retro. I like that it doesnt look like a repurposed Vietnam or other historical table: it is unmistakable a pulpy, Technicolour, 60s Trek table.

Piers B":2q6vhbvc said:
Im hoping to build a ruined cityscape... Done one for WW2, so may aswell do a Sci-Fi one!

I have plans for a sci-fi cityscape, with lots of suitable elements stockpiled for the last few years. I need to finish the shanty town and a couple of other wasteland/Deathworld terrain bits before I get working on that though. Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with based on the cool looking historical tables that you have shown.

Piers B

Ok...

My club are interested in this now... We are thinking a bit of lead in time might be good.

How would people feel about October/November as a date?

This would give plenty of time to get stuff together. Plus Im due at Salute in April, Bovvy in July and possibly Crisis in November... So early October or late November might be a good time, giving plenty of time to not get anything painted till the two weeks before...

Let me know what you think.

Our idea was to try and source the hotel space again, giving enough room for three or maybe four 6 x 4 tables. We could do a two-day event if people want, with one over night stay maybe? The beauty of this is that the room for the games is in the same building as the rooms so its easy to access and we can play for however long we want.

Im willing to run a game or two, perhaps we could have some people GM one day, then others the next. Im hoping to run a mass skirmish game set, unsurprisingly, around an Empire coaching Inn deep in the heart of the forests attacked by Chaos warbands...

cheetor

Piers B":i033n2vx said:
How would people feel about October/November as a date?

Sounds good to me.

This would give plenty of time to get stuff together. Plus Im due at Salute in April, Bovvy in July and possibly Crisis in November... So early October or late November might be a good time,

Gaelcon is on over the October Bank Holiday weekend (24, 25, 26th this year I think, they dont have info up, but thats the long weekend), so avoiding a clash with that makes sense.

giving plenty of time to not get anything painted till the two weeks before...

Heh! I have been than man. Never again, my nerves cant take it anymore.

Let me know what you think.

Provisionally I think that its a good plan. A single day affair with an overnight stay would be optimal for me I think. I will see if I can get the lads to chime in.

Thanks for working on this Piers.

Piers B

Yep, one day or two is up for discussion, whatever suits people the best really. My only concern would be to make sure any running games, do get a chance to participate in one too... Of course, that may not be needed if we have games that dont really require GMs. We can decide that as we develop a plan.

Avoiding Gaelcon weekend isnt an issue... Its my wifes birthday the weekend of Gaelcon usually so its always a non-starter! ;)

Piers B

Lets go for a one day event... Gives me more options on venue then to be honest.

Good thing with the hotel is we should get the room from the night before, so me and my lads could prep the tables and then have it till whenver we want it the next day.

Last year we got the room free as a few people stayed so may get that deal again. We shall see how it pans out.

Im thinking of two 'rounds' of games. Two or Three in the morning, then three in the afternoon for example and people can pick and choose what they take part in or run. Of course, depends what we want to play, but I like the idea of a selection of different things so people get a good Oldhammer fix!

cheetor

A one day event with a hotel bed at the end of it makes sense to me. Two gaming slots, morning and afternoon, but with a number of varied choices for each slot also seems sensible.

If we have the place for the evening then the die hards can maybe play something more improvised, or maybe more board game orientated. Space Hulk is always a winner, Dungeonquest is idiotic but regularly hilarious, Space Crusade is untaxing and entertaining for multiplayer, plus there are plenty of other options that still apply even within a narrow definition of what is appropriate.

Its early to be getting excited, but it sounds like a fun to me.

Piers B

Sounds like the bones of a plan gentlemen...

Shall we go for Saturday 21st or 28th November as a provisional date? Thats a month after Gaelcon so should be enough time for those needing brownie points to work them up.

So a format would be;

Morning Game 1 -

Morning Game 2 -

Afternoon Game 1 -

Afternoon Game 2 -

Perhaps two Fantasy and two Rogue Trader?

Then evening reserved for beer and boardgames for those who see fit... I shall dust off my copies of Chaos Marauders and Kings & Things...

Mr Saturday

It might be better for most to stay over on the Saturday night so people can play late and get the beers in Saturday night?

Back