Oldhammer Weekend 2015

Orlygg

Hi all, can I just start by stating my thanks to all of you who took part in the extravaganza (is there really any other word?) that took part a few days ago. It was great to meet so many of you after all of this time, especially theottovonbismark and Just John, both of who helped whittle away the early hours of Saturday night in the bar. I feel its probably worth starting a new sub-category for Oldhammer 2015 on the forum, what with Harry already getting his Warhammer Ahoy suggestion up and running, so can a mod sort this out at some point please.

As its usually me who gets the dates of the event up and running, I might as well throw that ball out into the field right now. It seemed last time we had this discussion, the weekend around the 9th of August seemed the best time for the majority of people. We could just use a similar date for next year if, of course, the Foundry will have us again! That is, if everyone is happy with the Foundry? I am sure those of you who attended will support me in repeating 'there is probably no better venue than the Foundry in Newark. It is, for me anyway, the preferred site.

A similar date next year would be the weekend of 7th, 8th and 9th of August. Any good?

You will see that I have included three days for the event. The people I spoke to during the event were very keen to extend the event in this way, and I am sure its something that others would like to see become the norm.

The other idea mooted was a dedicated painting area where Oldhammerers can just pull up a stool and paint their minis. I know that some in the wider community of wargamers see the event as being exclusive to the 'club' and efforts need to be made to spread the world that possession of an army is required to enjoy the weekend. It shouldn't take much to do this. A few lamps and seats with the message spread to 'bring yer own' painting materials and just enjoy the atmosphere and swap techniques etc.

I am looking forwards to hearing you other suggestions and ideas about what else may be possible.

Orlygg

If done well, a painting area will be a great social hub as well as a place to swap techniques and ideas. The general feeling was 'just organise a date' so people can attend, and the sooner that date is confirmed the less likely people will have other commitments to get in the way.

Or that's the idea anyway!

Chico

As for the dates I understand that people like this time dew to being in the summer holidays and having that time off. But the problem is everything is then more expensive in terms of travel and hotels.

Maybe a out of season date maybe better?

As for a painting table I think it's a great idea but not a area I'd use personally (Accept stopping by and add models to my wish list lol)

Also even though I'd had to travel out of my comfort zone there is no better place to have a Oldhammer Weekend then Foundry.

Orlygg

Bryan suggested arranging things very early and then booking out the entire hotel. He suggested just ringing up Deincourt and asking to see if they would do a deal for a large group. It might save us some money.

Padre

That weekend is once again almost guaranteed to be one of the two work weekends I do every year in August. If you do settle for it, decide soon - that way I can try my best to set the date of the work booking accordingly, although tbh honest if they want me then, it's not usually something they can alter. I loved the first BOYL.

Just John

Orlygg":nptxg3oh said:
Bryan suggested arranging things very early and then booking out the entire hotel. He suggested just ringing up Deincourt and asking to see if they would do a deal for a large group. It might save us some money.

I was actually going to suggest that. We wouldn't even need to block book the entire hotel.

Harry

That weekend sounds great.

Painting table sounds fine. (Not sure how much painting will happen at an event like this?)

Agreeing some sort of room rate seems like an obvious solution. Rather than them increasing the prices after a few people had booked that weekend we should be collectively in the driving seat. We can all stay there or we can all stay somewhere else. Probably worth trying a couple of places to see what the best deal is.

One of the ideas behind the boats was that folks without an army could rock up without any minis take command of a boat and join in a game.

Orlygg

Gorim":1hvgwqdz said:
The quicker the thing is decided the cheaper my flight ticket shall be, so yes please :mrgreen:

I would hope to have the date agreed and confirmed by the Ansells by the end of August. It was November last year, so hopefully the couple of months extra will make all the difference!

Skarsnik

Orlygg":135woxp2 said:

I enquired about this on the Friday night. The Deincourt said if we booked a 'significant' number of rooms then they could do a special rate for us, although they wouldn't be drawn on what a significant number of rooms meant. I also saw another couple of hotels as I staggered back from the pub on the Friday night, so we could look into those too.

zoggin-eck

Couple of questions here folks, please forgive the foreigner!

If someone were to conveniently plan a holiday in England that coincided with the next event, do you think I'd be able to get enough out of just one day, for instance? (probably all I could justify, sadly). I've already been planning a few things, but seeing the blog-posts these last few days has made me realise, I must visit Foundry! That's not too crazy is it? Seems everyone had enough fun.

The plan is to get about by rail. Any chance this is even possible? (Keep in mind I'm Australian, so the concept of travelling by anything other than a car is pretty alien!). Any tips from other out of town/country visitors who went last weekend would be much appreciated :)

Gorim

From my recent experience with England I would say that renting a car is a better and cheaper way of traveling than using the various train/bus options, at least if you are not alone.

Just John

Mr-eck
As one of three Aliens who visited the Foundry at the weekend I can confirm that renting a car made life much easier for us. It also probably worked out cheaper than public transport but that might not have been true if there had only been 2 of us. If you were travelling as part of a non-wargaming group then it is possibly feasible to have them wander off and do something else around Nottingham and Newark for the day while you push little lead men about. I hear there is History in the area although this remained unconfirmed last weekend. Perhaps a local yokel could give you more info in this regard

Yours etc
JJ
Master of Halflings :)

axiom

zoggin-eck: I only attended the Sunday this year - I can confirm I had a blast, played a great couple of games and still got to experience a lot of the event (including chatting to Bryan Ansell, buying loads of models, seeing greens, unreleased models etc).

I can also confirm that there is plenty to do in and around Newark and the wider environment. You're in easy reach of the Peak District (further West), traditional British seaside (further East). There are some historic house options towards the Vale of Belvoir (further South) and shopping, museums and general town-stuff in the glittering metropolis that is Nottingham (West again). Newark itself is a nice little market town.

Should that holiday coincide, you can probably get a day of gaming in and your absence is unlikely to be noticed :)

Back