How good does a paint job have to be for BOYL?

makhachkala

Hello everyone,

Much as I had grand plans to bring along a gigantic army, intricately detailed and fully painted to golden demon standards, real life has got in the way and a lot of my models still have their old, not-very-good paint jobs that I either did myself age 12 or that they had when I bought them off ebay.

For example:

So, all built and painted and standing upright... but to a pretty variable standard. Are these ok? Would the dread be ok if it were based properly?

Thoughts...?

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_104325752.jpg
    IMG_20190723_104325752.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 2,749

Golgfag1

I'm sure we can all appreciate our twelve year old selves were not as good a painters as we are now, but those paint jobs are appreciated for what they are - given the painters skill and the materials used (enamel paints), however, there's is a point of view which suggests you should strip and re-paint, the real question is do you feel comfortable using your figures with their original paint work?

Paul/Golgfag1

makhachkala

>do you feel comfortable

:grin: hit the nail on the head there! The rokkit and the kommando, yes, I like them although I would like to give them better bases. And some of the painting I did as a child has sentimental value anyway, so I wouldn't strip it for that reason alone. The mek and the dread make me itch a bit though, if I'm honest, and they are on the list to be repainted, when I get round to it...

Effort is respected, skill is not necessary. If you tried to bring fully painted assembled models then that is fine. Its oldhammer and period paintjobs are looked upon fondly for thier historical value!

Please dont put any unpainted or just undecorated stuff on the table without making sure its ok with the other players and its all good. Unpainted can make some people annoyed!

Scalene

If you based them up, they would look a lot better. And you’ve still got time to base a whole army

makhachkala

>>Unpainted can make some people annoyed!

>>If you based them up, they would look a lot better.

Yes, absolutely! Please be assured that I would not dream of placing an unpainted or unbased model on a table anywhere at BOYL! Everything I bring will be fully assembled, painted and based. Just perhaps not very well. As Golgfag1 correctly identified, it's more just a bit of probably unnecessary anxiety on my part (I am new to all this) about whether my old and rather scrappy paintwork will look too low effort next to either my own more recent stuff, or more importantly if playing against someone who has taken a lot of time to present something genuinely amazing. For the moment, I have looked again at the things I was thinking of bringing and I think I have a decent idea of what I could place on the tabletop without feeling too sheepish about it!
Thanks again everyone for the kind advice
Cheers

lenihan

I am not a good painter, and I have always been welcomed. Moreover, I often persist in bringing Elves to BOYL which for some reason I am particularly average at painting. But I try, and I think they get (a little) better each year. What's welcomed, in my experience, is enthusiasm and making the effort. Not necessarily pristine paintjobs.

Snickit

As has been said, if you go to the effort to assemble, paint and base then "ability" is relative.

My stuff has gotten better each year, my Skaven are not my finest work but are what I am known for and they have a definate charm if they are a little crude. My levels are no where near golden deamon/gobbo but would fall under the banner of "wargaming standard".

Myself and my mate may be doing some painting on Saturday and he's unbelievably good at single models but struggles with Armies. I can churn out Armies of fair to middling standard but when arrayed out enmasse make an impressive sight. Have a chat if you spot us, him doing deft touches and me splodging on the paint and see if either ethos works for you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2,618
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,618

makhachkala

Thanks lenihan, that's reassuring! :grin:
Snickit, definitely, that would be super - I am happy with my paint work these days, but oh my gosh I am SLOW!
Cheers all

Back