BOYL 2019 - Realms of Chaos Sandbox

Everything related to Bring Out Your Lead 2019, at Wargames Foundry in Nottingham

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 pm

BOYL 2019 - Realms of Chaos Sandbox

A few of us were discussing the idea of a Realms of Chaos Fantasy Sandbox for one of the large tables next year.

The buy in would be producing a 1ft by 1ft terrain square tile. We'd have a generic colour, say terracotta, as a base colour and so long as the edges of everyone's tile is the same then they'd all match up. If we have more than we need then we can change the lay out throughout the day. What is on your tile is up to you. You want a lake of blood? So be it, you want Snake Mountain? So be it. Erny brought up the idea of floating islands. This could even lead into having a a scenery modelling competition to add to the painting comp!

If you want to come play bring along a Warband and get involved. If you want to walk away for an hour or two? Simple, the Chaos gods have taken you away and will bring you back when you want to play again. Such is the whim of the Gods.

We also the idea of having challenge cards that could be "Slay the Hydra" or "Capture the Tower" which ,at be on a floating island that you have to find a way up to, maybe on a winged Tzeentch ship or after taming the Dark Pegasus etc...............

Could be, let's face it, I mean WILL be, that one objective will conflict with another "Keep the Hydra Alive" for example.

So, anyone interested?

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: BOYL 2019 - Realms of Chaos Sandbox

Warband and terrain, not an impossible buy in and if this takes off the board should look amazing! I couldn't make BOYL this year but determined not too miss another year and defiantly interested! Would give me some drive to get my Tzeentch war band, the Church of Transmogrification finished!

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 pm

That's the idea, easy in and it's a community its effort

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm up for this as you know Snickit. Put me down for doing a labyrinth although what I have planned will be 3ft square with a statue or tower of tzeentch in the middle.

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Leromides wrote:I'm up for this as you know Snickit. Put me down for doing a labyrinth although what I have planned will be 3ft square with a statue or tower of tzeentch in the middle.

Sounds perfect. People are more than welcome go do more squares than just the one but bear in mind the more tiles we have the more likely we are to no need to rotate them so no one feels their tile has been left out.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 am

Hold your horses a moment, let's do the math - the large tables are 8 x 12, equals 96 square feet, therefore, leaving you looking for 96 players, step back and say 2 x 2 squares and you're then looking for only 24 players and squares - which, given your time-frame appears a little more reasonable, yes? A smaller table (4x6) might be better for the 1x1squares, just as many players as the two by two, but folks start a lot closer together. :D

Apologies for being a damp squib :( , but somebody had to say it, as the first time this was done (BOYL 2013), people were quite a distance apart, and the game took a long time to get started, just because of the hike across the table, if, I recall correctly .

Paul/Golgfag1
How can I ever have enough stuff, I don't need.

https://golgfags.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 am

Paul is spot on about the table size issue (leaving aside the maths bit about the number of terrain pieces needed, which also seems a very good point). Large tables and RoC warbands don't go well together - warbands are predominantly slow moving melee units, with the exception of the occasional wizard, monster or rare missile unit. Small tables are good - off the top of my head I'd say 4ft x 4ft, but since small tables tend to be 6ft x 4ft that could easily be 2 separate 3ft x 4ft games (with their own time zones).

To make it look good you could set up a long row of tables, but one big table I'd say was a bad idea. At BOYL 2013 over the course of the day a lot of the action gravitated to one end (and the entire table was using the same turns) so at one end you'd have 4 or 5 warbands all slowly resolving their fully-detailed phases, while at the middle and far end the warbands would just go "I'll move towards the interesting end", and then wait... And even at the very beginning, with 7ft of separation and typical 3" moves there was a lot of plodding.

I'll love to see the terrain this produces, hopefully some properly wierd stuff. But let's make sure there's plenty of combat too!

Paul B / Grumdril

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I take your points, my return is:

1) We already have people wanting to complete more than 1 tile or we could make tiles 2 by 2.
2) Whims of the Gods, who says we have to trudge anywhere? Teleporting Pools, Flying Ships and Floating Islands, anything goes. Plus time gets warped - it's the Realm of Chaos!
3) The whole point of posting now is too see how much of an uptake there is, if it's tiny then yes we decamp to a smaller table but we don't know how much appetite there is for it yet.
4) Remember the city table from a few years back? That was a similar concept and worked brilliantly.

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 pm

I agree with points 1 to 4 but I do wonder about the idea of tiles actually tesselating. Would we not be better with terrain pieces sharing the same coloured base on an undercloth? The problem I foresee with people doing tiles meant to join directly with other people's tiles is wonky measurements may well lead to ugly cracks and even if they don't things will tend to fall into a very ordered grid and that isn't very chaossy. It also does mean that we do need a large amount even at 2 by 2 and I would be very surprised to get that uptake.
Next

Return to Bring Out Your Lead 2019