Oldhammer at Warhammer World 2014

Warhammer World Event

• will absolutely definitely attend - best thing evar!

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • like to attend + bring stuff + run a game

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • like to attend + bring stuff

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • like to attend

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • unlikely to attend

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • vehemently opposed to the idea

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zhu Bajie

Thought I'd start off a discussion about the possibility of running an event at Warhammer World, to gauge interest and sort out what's possible before talking to the guys in Nottingham (or not). At the moment it's just at the ideas stage, so all discussion is welcome.

I imagine...
* a strict archeogaming affair - OOP Citadel and Games Workshop rules only.
* benefit GW by showing the longevity of their IP and the devotion of their fans.
* benefit the Oldhammer community by having great exposure through GW site
* a great venue, with food and ale etc.

Potentially...
* benefit the fans by meeting the long standing creative team (John, Jes, Alan, Micheal, Dave etc. etc.)
* a look around the GW archives / special exhibition at the Citadel Museum

Difficulties...
* poking IP head above the parapet
* a strict archeogaming event - raising armies
* availability of dates

Format
* Official event negotiating with GW
* Just everyone turn up and do an Occupy

Skarsnik

Zhu Bajie":15hte05p said:
Thought I'd start off a discussion about the possibility of running an event at Warhammer World, to gauge interest and sort out what's possible before talking to the guys in Nottingham (or not). At the moment it's just at the ideas stage, so all discussion is welcome.

I imagine...
* a strict archeogaming affair - OOP Citadel and Games Workshop rules only. This would be a must
* benefit GW by showing the longevity of their IP and the devotion of their fans. I'm not sure GW would have the same view on this
* benefit the Oldhammer community by having great exposure through GW site It would be highly unlikely to appear on the GW site
* a great venue, with food and ale etc. Yes

Potentially...
* benefit the fans by meeting the long standing creative team (John, Jes, Alan, Micheal, Dave etc. etc.) This would only happen if they agreed to give up their free time to do it
* a look around the GW archives / special exhibition at the Citadel Museum The former won't happen, the latter is unlikely

Difficulties...
* poking IP head above the parapet This shouldn't be an issue as long as no-one is doing anything they shouldn't be
* a strict archeogaming event - raising armies Most people seem to have enough old citadel to make this viable
* availability of dates WHW is very busy these days in terms of events, but with notice you should be able to book a block of tables

Format
* Official event negotiating with GW GW won't do it as an official event, but you can book tables as mentioned above
* Just everyone turn up and do an Occupy If it's a weekend you will have to book in advance

I'll be there if this happens, and if you need any help with the organisation side, I'll be happy to help.

Padre

I myself am not at all likely to attend as I have far too many non-GW models in all my forces, even my really old forces. Since 1983 I went with what I could afford, which was not always Citadel! I have been there previously and cannot say it has anything better than Foundry, except size. And I personally would rather peruse Foundry's miniatures than GW's.

Chico

I go WHW a couple of times a year for Invasion Event ( £30 all in event including travel and food) so would be very unliky to go too a Oldhammer event there as I already go there for cheaper on the event days anyway.

Zhu Bajie

@Padre. I was considering running
1) McDeath using the cardboard chits.
2) Caverns of the Dead as a dungeoncrawl using Talisman Minis as adventurers and Skeleton Horde as the DM controlled monstas
3) The Magnificent Sven using the card miniatures from the box.

I don't see cost of miniatures as being a barrier to entry at all, and if the GW staff get narky with me for pushing their cardboard around in their shop - well it's a laugh innit.

@chico. I've no idea what an Invasion Event is, but I'm pretty sure it involves some new fangled rules-set and a lack of cardboard.

Skarsnik

Zhu Bajie":17tiooxl said:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3520006a_Warriors_code_V1.2.pdf

Rule 5. Your Army List must be selected from a current Codex or Army Book

So it looks like it's going to have to involve selling the idea into GW at some level...

Those rules only apply to events organised by WHW. If we wanted to book some tables, turn up and play, then I think we would be fine.

Warhammer World is an odd one in that no one takes much notice of what you do there as long as you are pushing GW models around. If a dozen mates book tables and turn up and play amongst themselves I doubt you need to discuss anything with the whw staff. If you want a formal event however I suspect you are looking at all sorts of restrictions and GW red tape. I used to attend lots of independent weekend events there and these have now been heavily discouraged so that GW can run their own (and who can blame them from a commercial point of view I suppose).

If you are expecting a warm welcome by the powers that be I fear (and I hope I am wrong) that you may be disappointed (unlike Foundry of course). My personal view would be to set a date when there isn't a big event on.....find out who wants to come and play etc and just book tables and go and do it 'informally'. You could still invite Blanche etc on a personal basis to come along and visit/join in a game with a bunch of old retro enthusiasts. Just my 2 cents as our transatlantic cousins say.

A formal approach may however be met with unbridled enthusiasm and co-operation and I suppose you could always try that route first and then fall back on an informal 'below the radar' approach?

Back