Oldhammer stand at the Octogône (french show)

Asslessman

OK, thanks to Illuminatus' brilliant idea, here is a thread meant to organise our participation to the Octogônes show : http://www.octogones.org/

Starting subjects :

- getting feedback from the BOYL organisers - what worked what didn't, what they would change etc...,
- do we want to stage a demo (scenarios) or just turn up and play? 1 day presence or more?
- What are the 'rules' if any (painted vs non-painted, who supplies the scenery, no finecast ;) ).
- Do we have a golden Froggo painting competition?
- Who will hold Nico down while I steal his army? ;)

On a practical level, I (Illuminatus) think we rent a number of tables for a certain amount of time and do what we want on them.
The T3 site seems to be available to help organise participation:http://www.tabletoptournaments.net/fr/index.php

Orlygg

Advice at the ready.

Depending on time limit, having a Realm of Chaos warbands game its great fun and easy to organise. Participants can create their own small warbands and have great fun choosing models and getting the models they think best represents the characters. You only need a handful of models to join in so there is little pressure in getting whole armies painted up. I think having fully painted miniatures in a must, as too many games are now played with out these, and personally the games lack spectacle without it.

Of, of course, you could just get Nico to bring his Chaos and Skaven and have a huge battle with that. With the work he has put into his minis, you'll have the best looking game at the show by a long, long way!

Asslessman

You're right, actually getting minis is not my main concern as I know the people involved have some painted armies (and very good ones for some of them). I'd like to know if iit's reasonable to organise a campaign on 2-3 days. My best guess is playing a series of small games to enphasise the narrative aspect of our movement could be better than a very big battle (though the big game is a spectacular option). For me, good models + good story behind can't be beaten.
The chaos warband game i sobviously a very good idea which I'd love to do (maybe getting people to do a few skirmishes might ligt the fire in some of them).

Anyway, all of this will depend on the number of people involved.

Thank you for your spontaneous help mate!

illuminatus

What about one narrative for several linked scenarios (a bit like the 4ed scenarios) ending in one big bagarre.

Portents tell of the the battle to end all wars. All races are obliged to send their best to fight for the fate of the world
Day 1: armies on the march encounter each other and fight; Warbands vie for leadership etc
Day 2: Everyone takes part in one mega Good vs Evil battle with forces altered depending on the previous days results?

Orlygg

illuminatus":h1vdhz7r said:
What about one narrative for several linked scenarios (a bit like the 4ed scenarios) ending in one big bagarre.

Portents tell of the the battle to end all wars. All races are obliged to send their best to fight for the fate of the world
Day 1: armies on the march encounter each other and fight; Warbands vie for leadership etc
Day 2: Everyone takes part in one mega Good vs Evil battle with forces altered depending on the previous days results?

Think about which rule set you plan to use. Third (or even 2nd) are fantastic for narrative but take a long time to play. Our warband game took all day to play with four warbands a side. Larger battles could take days with an earlier version. Think about what you want to achieve and pick what is going to work best for you.

Nico

Just for me, we talking about Octogone event of this year or octogone of the next year?

Asslessman

it's actually the one next year, the one in 2 weeks may be short notice for all of us. :grin:

Though your idea is very appealling Illuminatus, Orlygg raised an issue here. It would be a pity not to be able to finish the game, still the idea is still excellent and we may have just a few games on day one to lead to a big one the day after if we keep modest on the size of the big battle.

illuminatus

The 2013 version is on this weekend. I might give it a visit and see what its like.

Otherwise, to summarize from the BOYL feedback so far:

[GENERAL]
Get a good team
Communicate
Plan ahead
Choose a good location

[ORGANIZATION]
Organize as much as possible beforehand (events, scenarios, match-ups) - and don't be afraid to set limits (points, nb. players)
Provide a clear timetable of events
Provide participants with name badges
Improve commitment (through registration €s or other means - money to be spent on stuff for show [badges/scenery/prizes/table bookings])

[GAMES]
Define rules ahead of time
Don't underestimate time to play.
KISS
Limit army size
Limit nb participants per game

[EVENTS](Each with its own time slot)
Meet and Greet
Bring and buy
Armies on parade display
Painting comp (golden gobbo, best army)
Prize giving? Best general, best oldhammerer, best scenario etc...

I propose several different kinds of games to begin with:
Organized scenario
Organizer provides all armies, scenery, rules and plays or GMs against all comers.
I could probably run Forenrond’s Last Stand if I get painting now

Multiplayer Battle
Players line up and fight each other (limit combat to enemy in front + flanks to keep it to two phases)
Needs planning

Multiplayer scenario
Players bring army/warband, and fight amongst each other in a series of one-on-ones - organiser GM's it
e.g. Slaves to Darkness event as BOYL, Shadows over Albion modified for 3E

Other fun events
Pit fights, wizard duels, chariot races etc...
e.g. I could run The Crude the Mad and the Rusty

This is all blue skies brainstorming at the moment so don't be afraid to have your say.

illuminatus

Salut,
Suite à un désaccord avec un des ‘moderators’ je me retire définitivement du forum. Je vous laisse cet ‘topic’ pour copier ailleurs si vous trouver utile mes tout mes messages seront supprimer prochainement.

Golgfag1

Quite prepared to come out and play, just keep posting and I try to arrange to be available,to bring either the Slann / Lizardmen or the Dark Elves, whichever you prefer? :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

illuminatus":33e560ea said:
Salut,
Suite à un désaccord avec un des ‘moderators’ je me retire définitivement du forum. Je vous laisse cet ‘topic’ pour copier ailleurs si vous trouver utile mes tout mes messages seront supprimer prochainement.

Asslessman

Thanks to Illuminatus :

[GENERAL]
Get a good team
Communicate
Plan ahead
Choose a good location

[ORGANIZATION]
Organize as much as possible beforehand (events, scenarios, match-ups) - and don't be afraid to set limits (points, nb. players)
Provide a clear timetable of events
Provide participants with name badges
Improve commitment (through registration €s or other means - money to be spent on stuff for show [badges/scenery/prizes/table bookings])

[GAMES]
Define rules ahead of time
Don't underestimate time to play.
KISS
Limit army size
Limit nb participants per game

[EVENTS](Each with its own time slot)
Meet and Greet
Bring and buy
Armies on parade display
Painting comp (golden gobbo, best army)
Prize giving? Best general, best oldhammerer, best scenario etc...

I propose several different kinds of games to begin with:
Organized scenario
Organizer provides all armies, scenery, rules and plays or GMs against all comers.
I could probably run Forenrond’s Last Stand if I get painting now

Multiplayer Battle
Players line up and fight each other (limit combat to enemy in front + flanks to keep it to two phases)
Needs planning

Multiplayer scenario
Players bring army/warband, and fight amongst each other in a series of one-on-ones - organiser GM's it
e.g. Slaves to Darkness event as BOYL, Shadows over Albion modified for 3E

Other fun events
Pit fights, wizard duels, chariot races etc...
e.g. I could run The Crude the Mad and the Rusty

This should be a starting point the event will only be what we want it to be after all !

Golgfag1

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Following a conversation between myself and Harry discussing the possibility of visiting a distant corner of a foreign a field, are there any others who may joins us on the expedition? :grin: :grin: :grin:

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1

Golgfag1":3f54cwh2 said:
Quite prepared to come out and play, just keep posting and I try to arrange to be available,to bring either the Slann / Lizardmen or the Dark Elves, whichever you prefer? :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

illuminatus":3f54cwh2 said:
Salut,

Nico

;) ;) ;)

Hey you 're welcome in France !! I think that could be brilliant to welcome you, I already imagine a gaming table full of lead :arrow: 8-)
You think of coming by train or by car?

Anybody have some news from Illuminatus?

Golgfag1

Hi Nico,

We're certainly considering it, all will depend upon when the show is and how many would like to go, how we're going to get etc. hence the question if anybody else would like to join us in this venture; before we start negotiating the detail.

All being well, see you there

Paul / Golgfag1

Nico":3romh4vy said:
;) ;) ;)

Hey you 're welcome in France !! I think that could be brilliant to welcome you, I already imagine a gaming table full of lead :arrow: 8-)
You think of coming by train or by car?

Anybody have some news from Illuminatus?

Asslessman

Sorry Paul, I don't know how I managed to miss your message put having you and Harry around would be absolutely great ! We have started building a french community a bit more actively so we should be able to make something worthy.
Wherever we end up making this, be sure we will receive you with all due respect with proper beverages and food too ;) )

Since we may have quality guests as yourselves, we definitely have to make something good !

Illuminatus has been away for a while since the " moderator crisis" but he keeps checking around form time to time and though I won't speak for him, I'm pretty sure he would be glad to get involved in this (especially if we do it during the "octogônes")

Asslessman

Alright, time to gather for the Octogônes !

Bruno (Treps) a réservé un espace pour nous aux octogônes (3, 4, 5 Octobre) et c'ets donc l'occasion pour nous de faire briller un peu les couleurs de l'Oldhammer à la française !

Je rappelle à toute finn utile que j'ai récupéré des goblins oldhammer lors du BOYL14 :

SS850006.JPG

Il y a donc une fig exclusive pour tout participant ;)

Back