Fessin' up about Aerospace . . .

symphonicpoet

Okay . . . so I've known for a while that I need some shuttles and dropships. This one is intended to be a sort of Leer Jet of shuttlecraft: the small zippy private executive model. It started life as some kind of transformer toy that I picked up for a dollar or two at a toy show. (Leftovers.)

WP_20170114_001_zps0qdn6qjm.jpg

WP_20170114_002_zpsfdpa25vq.jpg

The first step was taking it apart and figuring out what pieces I wanted. There were nice parts, but they were in a weird sort of Michael Bay meets anime robots goofball configuration. After that I had to reassemble them in a way that made marginally more sense and stretch the thing enough that it would fit a crew larger than two. The old FC[A]J container from the old Eddie Murphy/Dan Aykroyd vehicle proved just about the right size, after a bit of hacking and sawing. Some brass rod served as pins to attach the new fuselage to nose and tail. Cardstock served as a rudimentary bottom to the hull.

IMG_5255_zpss4fkmaz1.jpg

And here's where I'm experimenting a little. To smooth this thing out right would require a LOT of GS. So . . . I'm using spackle instead. Apply, dry, sand, apply, dry, sand, apply, dry . . . you get the idea. Many thin layers each sanded down.

IMG_5256_zpsbhrptmki.jpg

There's some cardstock skeleton under some of the rounder bits. There were more pictures, but they are lost. More will follow as I get the shape a little more refined.

(And as I figure out the engines.)

Anyway . . . more later.

symphonicpoet

A friend . . .

IMG_5500_zpsxr2z785o.jpg

IMG_5505_zpsfzfs2hng.jpg

IMG_5503_zps2ji8yn4t.jpg

A touch of paint

IMG_5506_zpsjvh1wgnh.jpg

With the friend and a touch of paint . . .

IMG_5509_zpszzvyqqft.jpg

With a little more paint . . .

IMG_5513_zpswlunwzjr.jpg

IMG_5515_zpsw7r5r9pa.jpg

IMG_5514_zpsvv6vx7fm.jpg

And also the friend . . .

IMG_5516_zps5nfmdatx.jpg

IMG_5522_zpsiuhdyf0t.jpg

IMG_5524_zpsz9zfixt1.jpg

IMG_5525_zpsudmrnspi.jpg

symphonicpoet

Gallivantes,

As Lilbro hints, it's a Star Wars toy. I got the idea from an e-bay listing. There was a Marine army with a converted hover tank that looked quite familiar. I thought it looked rather more Eldarish than Marineish, so I painted to match my Eldar space pirates, added a few oddments from old kits, and off we go. It's far from the most popular Star Wars model, so I figure I can get away with it. A little.

LilBroGrendel,

It is a Power of the Force model I picked up for a few bucks on the Bay. I think they might even still be made. Nothing sacred. Cheap. Nice enough, but . . . there's thousands of them. Paint on this is no sacrilege. An odd aside: I believe a radar dish from the Millennium Falcon (not a toy, but an actual photography model from Star Wars) shows up attached to a building in Blade Runner. Absolutely nothing is sacred int he pursuit of a good model. ;) Well . . . almost nothing. ;)

@Symphonicpoet:
They actually attached a whole Falcon to a building in "Blade Runner" (it's supposed to be part of the building, I guess), even though it's not easy to spot it without knowing in advance :)

bladerunnerfalcon03.jpg

And well, even Lucas Arts used X-wing model kits of the kind you can buy in a toy store for some of the scenes in "Return of the Jedi". So you could say that you're just following the Master :grin:
http://www.cracked.com/article_22702_5- ... assic.html

I've done sorta the opposite of you at some point: Converting a Mordheim model into a Star Wars model (even though I've never finished the project) ;)

symphonicpoet

Okay. I'd heard that, but I'd looked all over for the thing and all I was ever able to find (short of frame by framing it) was a radar dish that looked suspicious. I'd assumed it was one of those unfounded rumors. I stand corrected!

Note: I'd love to see that Mordheim to Star Wars transition!

Yeah, I would've never spotted the Falcon if I hadn't read about it. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Star Wars ships (or parts of them) hidden in "Blade Runner" here and there.

I started the project around when Mordheim was still new, but never finished the project. Last spring I continued the project. So now it just needs a little more sculpting before I can paint it. The model has been lying in a box for a year or so, but now my motivation for finishing the project has been re-ignited :) I will post some pictures of it when I find it - maybe in next weekend. By the way, it's a youngblood turning into Luke Skywalker :)

symphonicpoet

Thank you Ardyer! :)

(I can take less credit for the second one, though. It's essentially just a repaint of an A-Wing fighter with a few bobs added.)

I promised to show a picture of the Mordheim to Star Wars project, so here it is. It was one of my first attempts at using Green Stuff back in the year of 2000, so there's a lot of lumps and metaldust in the GS. The models look a lot different now because I've cut off Luke's arms so that I can make some new ones, now that I'm more experienced with GS. I am relatively happy with the way Yoda's face turned out, however :) When I get a little further with this project, I will probably post some more pictures in my WIP thread.

Attachments

• Luke and Yoda from Mordheim 1.JPG
    Luke and Yoda from Mordheim 1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,278
Well, when I saw the blister pack containing this Youngblood in my local shop, I instantly thought "That looks like Luke Skywalker!" - and then I just had to buy it and make the conversion :grin:

Back