The Inner Geek's Various WIP's

I'm posting this on another forum that I frequent, but as membership doesn't seem to have a lot of cross-over, I thought I'd share the project here as well. You guys might even be able to appreciate it more!

So to start here is a story with a couple of pictures near the end...

Way back around 1991 I fell in love with GW's Dragon Ogres... not the misshapen ones of more recent times, the originals by Nick Bibby. Back in the old'n days you couldn't run to your nearby game store and just grab some GW products. And you dang sure couldn't buy them on the internet as Al Gore had just invented it and no one had access to it yet except maybe your nerdiest friend and he had to pay long distance fees on top of his dial up to use it.... where was I??? Oh yea, buying them. I went to a FLGS and asked the owner if he could special order them for me, and said he could. Back then the distributor for GW in the US was Chessex (I think)... or Armory... who remembers that far back?!? Anyway, he placed the order for two and told me to check back in a week. Everything took a week back then. So when I came back the next weekend the package was there but it had some other minis in it. So, he placed the order again, double checking the code in the catalog. Next week, same thing... even the same wrong miniatures (I don't remember what they were). So while I was there, we got on the phone with someone at the distributor who connected us directly to someone on the warehouse floor. We explained the problem and he went and checked the bin for that catalog number... sure enough, it was not Dragon Ogres. So we talked him through what one should look like and this guy actually looked around for almost thirty minutes while we were on the phone until he figured out the correct catalog number for Dragon Ogres. Apparently the number in that years catalog did not coincide with the number on the Dragon Ogres package! He pulled two and that next week was the longest of the three as I knew there was a Dragon Ogre (or two) at the end of the rainbow... a double Dragon Ogre rainbow.

I was inspired by some pictures in a White Dwarf magazine of a converted Dragon Ogre leading a Chaos Warband. So one was to be converted, and the other done to factory specs. This was accomplished about 22 years ago! It was some of my best work, and in some ways still is. They were done with all Polly S paints and the converted one had some sort of Ral Partha Dragon Scale Cream metallic rub-on wax sort of stuff in a red tone. As these are some of my all time favorite minis and I spent the whole day reading Oldhammer blogs I decided it was time to show these minis some love again with a redeux.

This is the standard build in all his glory today...

DO_2_1.jpg

DO_2_2.jpg

And for comparison, here is the converted one. Note the scratch built shoulder armor and re-positioned left arm.... and missing fist... life loose in a box for 20+ years has not been kind. The arm will eventually end in a fist holding a banner... I think.

DO_3_1.jpg

DO_3_2.jpg

DO_3_3.jpg

While seventeen year old Inner Geek was pretty proud of himself over these, thirty-nine year old Inner Geek would like to try and improve on them!

On a side note, some time in the mid to late 1990's I had a chance to grab one more of these, so I did!

DO_1_1.jpg

This one needs work as well! The plan is to make a group of three. At least two and maybe all three will be converted to some extent. I'd like to try to do full barding on one, maybe put a keg of ale strapped to another, and some weapon swaps so they don't all have the same ax. I might even see if some dragon wings might look reasonable on one of them? It will be an adventure for sure!

After cleaning them last night, I did find that some bits have a different hue or sheen to them. I was afraid of lead rot! But, after some research it doesn't seem like that's what this is. I'll post up pictures if I can get good ones that demonstrate what I'm seeing. I've scrubbed the minis clean and even worked them over with baking soda and a toothbrush. It's all very strange and on the one that was not already painted, it seems more pronounced on one piece after the Simple Green bath. The Simple Green was mainly to strip old paint from the other two, but I threw the third in there too for the sake of completeness.

Since I was cleaning minis anyway I thought I'd toss this guy/gal in too!

KOS_1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing where this goes, Im a sucker for monster size minis.

That Keeper Of Secrets is a "bobby dazzler", nice one.

mbh

I must have been lucky in the US.

There were three game stores in my area in the late 80s/early 90s with a crap ton of GW. I remember seeing the dragon ogre in a clam pack every week for years. Shoud have bought it back then and saved some money.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I was in high school in a small town about 20 miles north of Wichita, KS. So game stores were a trip to "the big city" once a week or so at best. A couple stores carried GW stuff, but it was very random in the selection.

I'm excited about this because I think I'm a older and more patient and I see a few areas that could have done with better material for prepping and more patience.

I've got a little bit of work done on this Dragon Ogre project, and a little is better than zero!

As mentioned above, one of the three will stay stock and the other two will be converted to alleviate some of the samey-ness. The stock will be just that, a Dragon Ogre. One conversion will be holding a banner and have some small changes. The other conversion will be a more spruced up 'champion'. Some of this I have planned out, some is going to be flying by the seat of my pants.

First off is a couple shots of the future banner bearer. He is the one that was previously converted with a custom right shoulder and re-positioned arm. I've changed the angle of the left fist and drilled a hole for a guide rod through it. The eventual banner will be attached to this thin guide rod, so it will be thicker when finished.

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

The next one is a more aggressive conversion which will require more sculpting into gaps. It's a substantial body re-position. Right now there is no room for the back left foot, but the scenic base will take care of the non-standard positions of the feet. The grey material in the mid section is epoxy which I slathered around a couple of pins to reach the current body position. The shots below are comparisons between the modified body and an unmodified body.

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it's moving so far. I'm trying to be patient and think things through which is not always my forte'.

Sigi

nice one's :!:

i have also two of them. my brother thinks of recasting them to make some more for me - he told me something strange about dragon ogre armies ... :mrgreen:

Sigi":bryr21k6 said:
nice one's :!:

i have also two of them. my brother thinks of recasting them to make some more for me - he told me something strange about dragon ogre armies ... :mrgreen:

Don't leave us hanging, what did your brother tell you?

Another day, I little more progress...

I've used epoxy to attach the rear foot and tail to the most converted of the three. It will need a good deal of filling/sculpting to make it look right but I found something that made me feel a lot better about it. It actually needs to be lengthened! I've never noticed but that part of the leg is shorter on that side than the equivalent part of the same leg on the other side. I also cut out some MDF bases for the trio. They will be done up to form a cohesive 'scene' but I also wanted them to able to separate too.

The bases under the center DO's foot are there for posing purposes only.

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

Please excuse the messy desk...

That's probably it for today. I'm not sure if I'll start building up the bases or move forward with the conversions next? Whichever strikes my fancy when I sit down with them next I suppose.

Golgfag1

Looking forward to their progress from base metal to fully painted, slowly, slowly will get you where you want to be. After all anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Back