twisted moon's 2017

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Re: twisted moon's 2017

as expected, productivity has dropped off greatly. finally managed to finish these fantasy warriors orc conversions however.

Orc Spear4a.JPG
looking more aggressive.
Orc Spear4a.JPG (36.17 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

Orc Spear4b.JPG
gyrocoptor view.
Orc Spear4b.JPG (36.99 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

only five more to do to finish this unit.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

Post Mon May 01, 2017 12:19 pm

the final conversions are proving hard going, mostly because i'm not that inspired by them. in the meantime i placed another order with ral partha europe, mostly of dwarfs but also including the heartbreaker daemons sculpted by kev adams. i've based them for frostgrave as that's where they're most immediately likely to see action. they'll also get used wherever there's a reason for daemons to be summoned.

Daemons.JPG
called from the abyss.
Daemons.JPG (78.82 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

i'll use these ones as imps in frostgrave:

Daemons-Imps.JPG
imps.
Daemons-Imps.JPG (47.12 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

... and i'll use these as minor daemons:

Daemons-Minor.JPG
minor daemons.
Daemons-Minor.JPG (46.1 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

any suggestions for a readily available, reasonably priced major daemon to complement these? or failing that, some appropriate wings to attach to this: http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/i ... ts_id=2763?

Image Image

Post Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Those are some nice imps! For a moment, I thought that the two smaller ones were converted Squigs from the 90s :) I do think that the "Ever Hungry" from Scotia Grendel would fit very nicely with the others. Wings from a demon prince or something like that would look great, but don't know where to get some for a reasonable price.

Post Tue May 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Nice, now I finally know where this Squig-Demon-Thing I have laying around for years is from :D

Post Sun May 07, 2017 8:39 pm

LilBroGrendel wrote:Those are some nice imps!

heartbreaker did some lovely figures; they're one of my favourite ranges. i saw a kickstarter a month or two back from a different company to bring back the range; whilst they had a few additional figures, i hope this doesn't mean ral partha europe will have to cease production.
this week i've continued to ignore the final orc spear conversions and have instead painted these trolls; again from my recent rpe order:

Trolls1.JPG
fol de rol.
Trolls1.JPG (77.71 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

the middle one is heartbreaker again, whilst the other two are from ral partha's own range. they're quite short compared to some of the more modern orcs i have, so i thought i'd raise them up on rocky plinths, for which i used soft polystyrene from pizza packaging (i think); i then used uhu to stick the integral bases to the plinths, which caused the polystyrene to melt. whilst not my intention, it has countersunk them quite nicely. here's a slightly different angle:

Trolls2.JPG
we're going to eat you.
Trolls2.JPG (70.4 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

whilst they will again, most likely, first see use in frostgrave, i was unsure how to base them, as they may also see action with my goblinoids / fomorions. i finally decided to base them up to match the goblinoids, only to promptly forget / get carried away when i was actually painting the bases, so now they look more suited to a ruined urban environment. never mind, i'll still use them alongside the goblinoids as required.
Last edited by twisted moon on Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Post Mon May 08, 2017 7:37 am

Those are looking nice. Neat skin tones on 'em. :)

Post Mon May 29, 2017 3:09 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:Neat skin tones on 'em.

thanks; nothing complicated, just a coat of valejo grey-green over a black base-coat, then used 'the dip'. once that varnish was dry I painted everything else and black-washed the entire figure.
since then, i've continued to ignore the conversions required to finish the orc spear unit and have made a start on harboth's orc archers, with a few hangers-on to bring the unit up to 30.

Orc Archers3.JPG
black mountain boys.
Orc Archers3.JPG (73.2 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

Image Image

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm

the summer was mostly taken up preparing my scenario for tobcon (http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?t=5835), but i have managed to get a bit done since my last update. here's my take on the mausoleum for frostgrave.

Mausoleum1.JPG
all four side the same(ish).
Mausoleum1.JPG (240.21 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

Mausoleum2.JPG.tar.gz
detachable roof side.
(254.11 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Mausoleum3.JPG
detachable roof front.
Mausoleum3.JPG (184.44 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

the roof comes off to allow placement of figures inside, if required. i'd like to add a altar, once i can find a suitable piece.

Image Image

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:34 pm

i also painted up these chests as treasure markers (again primarily for frostgrave).

Treasure chests.JPG
what could be inside?
Treasure chests.JPG (53.79 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

the one on the far right will also double as a black ark (as per 'vengeance of the lichemaster' from citadel journal spring '86) for my skaven.

Black Ark.JPG
Gnawdoom unleashes the Black Ark.
Black Ark.JPG (57.36 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Image Image

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:48 pm

then i worked on this church from timeline miniatures (https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/). from these pictures it looks as though i need to do a bit more work on the walls.

Temple1.JPG
the nave.
Temple1.JPG (87 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Temple2.JPG
the tower.
Temple2.JPG (91.51 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

it will give some more decent height options in frostgrave, and other games for which i use ruins.

Image Image
PreviousNext

Return to WIP