twisted moon's 2017

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: twisted moon's 2017

daddyorchips wrote:great work. i like a nice mix of manufacturers in one unit.

eclectic is good for goblinoids and the like.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:That may have come across as a criticism when it was not intended to.

i took it as an observation that deserved a response.

symphonicpoet wrote:No criticism was intended.

none taken.
Last edited by twisted moon on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:10 pm

i'm saving electrons by utilising the multiple posts caused by a human-machine interface malfunction; as such, pay no heed to the time stamp at the top of this post, but look at the date and time last edited instead.
here's the second rank of orcs with two handed weapons: two wargames foundry orc mercenaries, the musician and standard bearer are from kallistra, and the middle one is another gargantua orc from ral partha europe.

Orc Zweihanders2.JPG
second rank.
Orc Zweihanders2.JPG (67.08 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

... and here's the whole unit.

Orc Zweihander unit.JPG
bob's crew.
Orc Zweihander unit.JPG (79.26 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

i also painted these as wild boar for frostgrave, although they're based for more general use.

Wild Boar.JPG
wild boar family.
Wild Boar.JPG (29.05 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

went to vapnartak today with a long list of frostgrave random monsers, but wasn't very successful in getting them. i did manage to pick up some foundry eurasian lynx to use as snow leopards and a pack of warbases dogs to use as wild dogs in frostgrave.
warbases have also started selling parallel slot bases, which i thought might be of interest to others here.
Last edited by twisted moon on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Image Image

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:11 pm

as above, check the date and time last edited.
not quite such a productive week last week; i didn't manage to get any frostgrave random creatures finished. however, i did add to the ranks of my orc spear unit:

Orc Spear1.JPG
very dandy.
Orc Spear1.JPG (65.47 KiB) Viewed 2070 times

i also found these in poundland, which i thought others might find useful:

Rasta bikes.JPG
3 for £1 can't be bad.
Rasta bikes.JPG (80.13 KiB) Viewed 2070 times

here's one with a foundry street violence yardie and an atenociti's workshop bike for scale comparison purposes:

Motorbike comparison.JPG
looks good to me.
Motorbike comparison.JPG (37.91 KiB) Viewed 2070 times

anyone have suggestions for suitable riders? somewhere on the spectrum between rogue trader imperial army and dark future gangers is what i'm after.
Last edited by twisted moon on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Image Image

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:14 pm

still using the extraneous posts.
another slow week; hopefully things are getting better again. i managed to get these wolves finished for frostgrave, again based more generically.

Wolves1.JPG
these would pass as pack wolves in wfb2.
Wolves1.JPG (37.49 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

these are dire wolves from deezee miniatures; i picked them up several years ago to do duty in west wind's vampire wars, i think at recon in pudsey.
Last edited by twisted moon on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Image Image

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:14 pm

this is the last of the multiple cock-up posts, so check the last edited date and time again.
another five spear orcs this week; from left to right, they are heartbreaker, an '80s citadel, a figure i picked up from the bring & buy at triples several several years ago and two kev adams heartbreaker figures. i assumed the triples figure was citadel but am now not so sure since the tab is blank. if i recall correctly, the first four are based on parallel slot bases from warbases, which i discovered at vapnartak at the start of the month.

Orc Spear2.JPG
a more primitive bunch.
Orc Spear2.JPG (62.5 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

i also finished these eurasian lynx from foundry, which shall be doing duty as snow leopards in frostgrave. i got these at vapnartak; £5 for the blister. as usual, i expect they'll see use outside frostgrave, so i've given them forest bases.

Snow leopards.JPG
eurasian lynx.
Snow leopards.JPG (41.51 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

wfb2 states jaguars (the only big cats i could see mentioned) should be on 25mm x 50mm bases; these figures didn't look as though they could dominate that big an area, especially not the kitten, so i've gone for lasercut mdf 20mm x 40mm bases instead. i originally picked these bases up for skaven warpgrinder and doomflayer weapon teams, since i wanted them to rank up correctly with other skaven units.
Last edited by twisted moon on Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm

back to creating new posts at last.
despite busy evenings i've had a productive week. first another five spear orcs:

Orc Spear3.JPG
base divergence.
Orc Spear3.JPG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 2038 times

lightly converted 'fantasy warriors' monopose plastics from em4 on each end, with some classic citadel in the middle. i picked up the classic citadel fairly recently at either call to muster or smoggycon, and have a few more non-spear which will feature later, all being well. the fantasy warriors figures come with integral bases which i've stuck on top of a slottabase, in once case, and a resin base from fortress figures in the other. i'm considering getting some mdf bases to remove the height differental, but these will be okay scattered amongst the ranks. the fortress figures base came with a py-rat.
the remainder of this unit will be more monopose plastic, and another of the kallistra command sets, so i'm intending to convert slightly more; nothing major, just some repositioning of arms, some head swaps and maybe weapon swaps if i can find some suitable alternative spear-like weapons amongst my collection.
next a citadel liche and a couple of mantic ghouls:

Ghouls & Liche.JPG
lure of the liche lord.
Ghouls & Liche.JPG (45.37 KiB) Viewed 2038 times

these are painted and based to add to my undead army, but will also see use in frostgrave. i'll try and pick up a few more of the ghouls to make a unit for wfb; there seems to be sufficient different combinations of the parts to have a reasonably mixed unit.
finally a mated pair of reaper werewolves:

Werewolves.JPG
apex predators.
Werewolves.JPG (35.07 KiB) Viewed 2038 times

these were purchased by mail order a long time ago from spirit games, again for use in 'gothic horror: vampire wars'. like the wolves who will accompany them, i've based them up for this purpose, but they will likely see use in frostgrave sooner.
this is probably the last post for march, as i'm away next weekend, and then on holiday from the weekend after. with a bit of luck i may be able to make some progress on the orc conversions and some scenery in the evenings, over the next couple of weeks.

Image Image

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:38 pm

i love that foundry are so specific with their lynx. i'd hate to get an african lynx when i was looking for a eurasian one.

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 pm

I know right! I started a poll so we can see how people have been faring in the past.
http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10032
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:34 pm

i think we can all agree nothing ruins a game of toy soldiers as quickly as a lack of verisimilitude in the use of 28mm big cats.

Image Image
PreviousNext

Return to WIP