twisted moon's 2017

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 pm

twisted moon's 2017

i thought i'd try to log my painting and modelling activities this year; i'm not sure how well i'll get on, but trying is the first step.
i repainted these warhammer regiments goblins over the first couple of weekends of the year, which completes the (non-army list compliant) goblin contingent of my goblinoid army, at least for the time being.

Goblin Archers1.JPG
Warhammer Regiments Goblins
Goblin Archers1.JPG (45.55 KiB) Viewed 2316 times

... and here they are incorporated into their units.

Goblin Archers2.JPG
Unit 1
Goblin Archers2.JPG (55.62 KiB) Viewed 2316 times

Goblin Archers3.JPG
Unit 2
Goblin Archers3.JPG (68.32 KiB) Viewed 2316 times

you never, know, my photography and uploading skills may even improve over the year.
the dark knight of the twisted moon

Image Image

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: twisted moon's 2017

this weekend i painted the second half of mighty ugezod's death commando.

Death Commando1.JPG
goblins and hobgoblins
Death Commando1.JPG (68.76 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

you may recall i painted the orc half for orctober; here they are all together.

Death Commando2.JPG
mighty ugezod's death commando
Death Commando2.JPG (82.78 KiB) Viewed 2314 times

... although i now see i seem to have managed to hide mormo jabberinder behind mighty ugezod.
anyone know if these figures came with a background and rules, like the contemporaneous regiments of renown?
Last edited by twisted moon on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:00 pm

over the course of last week's evenings i painted up these as substitutes for white gorillas in frostgrave. chimps are more vicious than gorillas, so seem a good fit. i also already had these figures, as i've painted a couple of the sculpts as jokeiro.

White Apes.JPG
white apes
White Apes.JPG (45.5 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

i try and get multiple duty out of my figures and scenery, so my feldstadt isn't that snowy.
it's been a productive year so far; it won't continue.

Image Image

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:50 pm

finished the first five orcs with two-handed weapons this weekend; the unit will be ten strong. the second five are undercoated and awaiting further attention.
left to right they're a kev adams orc for heartbreaker games, two renegade miniatures orcs (again kev adams, i think), a ral partha gargantua orc and another renegade miniatures orc. i've had the renegade miniatures for a while, the other two are part of an order from ral partha europe i placed at the beginning of the year.

Orc Zweihanders.JPG
big orcs with big weapons.
Orc Zweihanders.JPG (91.77 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

i also painted this bear for frostgrave.

Bear.JPG
who's chaining up bears in felstadt?
Bear.JPG (31.4 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

i've also started building my version of the mausoleum for frostgrave, but that's turned into a bigger project than expected.

Image Image

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:25 am

i thought i'd try to log my painting and modelling activities this year; i'm not sure how well i'll get on, but trying is the first step.

That is the right attitude. I am doing the same, best of luck to us :D

...the (non-army list compliant) goblin contingent of my goblinoid army

If they complied to anything resembling protocol, would they truly be goblins? :D

Aah, Kev Adams greenskins are da Best. I have just acquired that Heartbreaker one with the grinning mug, lucky me to get to have a go at painting him too. He is currently marauding his way from Albion towards my painting camp in his warband called Da Parcel-Force, my spies tell me. Come Orctober I shall be prepared.
"We attack at dawn. The plan is victory." - unknown

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 am

I particularly like the banner and the snow chimps. What models did you use for those chimps? I feel Jokaero look a little more orangutan like, but the chimps look good too.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Gallivantes wrote:
Aah, Kev Adams greenskins are da Best. I have just acquired that Heartbreaker one with the grinning mug,

you'll enjoy yourself, he's got some great details.
i'm a big fan of most of the heartbreaker range. at some point i'm intending to place a big order of the dwarves; most of kev's goblins made it into that contingent.

Image Image

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:59 pm

symphonicpoet wrote:I particularly like the banner and the snow chimps.

thanks, yes, i like the white apes too. my goblinoids are the blue moon crew, and almost all units have a similar banner with the leaders name on it. i've mostly used erny's name generator.

symphonicpoet wrote:What models did you use for those chimps?

they're bob olly sculpted chimps from mega miniatures animals range, three each of the three sculpts in a pack; i don't know if they're still available from another source.

symphonicpoet wrote:I feel Jokaero look a little more orangutan like, but the chimps look good too.

that's the received wisdom, and i don't necessarily disagree. i picked these up about twelve years ago to use in a floorplan based wfrp convention scenario. at the time there weren't many orangutan miniatures about, or at least i couldn't find any.

Image Image

Post Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 pm

great work. i like a nice mix of manufacturers in one unit.

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:45 am

twisted moon wrote:
symphonicpoet wrote:I feel Jokaero look a little more orangutan like, but the chimps look good too.

that's the received wisdom, and i don't necessarily disagree. i picked these up about twelve years ago to use in a floorplan based wfrp convention scenario. at the time there weren't many orangutan miniatures about, or at least i couldn't find any.

Sorry. That may have come across as a criticism when it was not intended to. Two separate and unconnected observations which were probably more or less this in my mind: "Huh. Those are neat. Man, I'd love go get some Jokaero, but those are darned cool too and would go well with the monkeys I picked up from Curtis." (My closest Jokaero proxies are some Ramshackle monkeys that I've decided to call "Donald's Monkeys" after one with a rather dramatic combover and a fairly clear anger management problem.)

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. They're lovely models. No criticism was intended.
Next

Return to WIP