Chaos Dwarf Ass Cannon

spikehead

Back in the late 90s I stumbled upon a strange looking cannon on ebay and thought that 20 gbp should do it. Surprise set in when I saw the auction ending at 400+ GBP and I quickly learnt that I had discovered one of the holy grails of citadel collecting. The appeal of a cannon shooting out off its arse was still strong several years later when adulthood and the luxury of a regular income were obtained and I got lucky to get a mislabelled one on the bay. It suffered the fate of most stuff that came from there. After being admired it got chucked in a box and looked upon whenever I moved house. But now is the time to finally get to grips with the thing.

Sadly the sensation quickly wore off after inspecting the actual model. It´s flimsy, the anatomy is laughable and the deatils offer the worst oldhammer has on offer. Armed with greenstuff and my favourite plethora of sculpting tools I tried to prepare it for painting. As you can see on the pigs the face got the most attention followed by the odd impact here and there. The rough patches on the shoulders were left as they are (whatever they are) as things would have gotten out off hand otherwise.

Time for paint.
IMG_7318_zpswwmkps2d.jpg

IMG_7316_zpsgbsueq60.jpg

spikehead

Fast forward a couple of days and I attacked the cannon with my trusty airbrush. Goggle searches only turned up two painted examples of the original mini. As I wanted neither a metallic nor comical look I will try to give it some sickly flesh lile look. Over the last years I got used to bring out the airbrush on use it on everything I paint as it

1.) helps with applying even base coats quickly
2.) allows light to dark transitions in a breeze
3.) makes color transitions easy to pull off in next to no time

After thirty miniutes I ended up with this which should act as a canvas for things to come. Now onto the grind with the hairy stick...

IMG_7323_zps7x1ieetz.jpg

IMG_7325_zpsbqy7lhei.jpg

King Arthur

Oh boy, here we go! Very, very seldom do we get a treat such as this! Unreleased/Limited models hardly see the light of day or a paint job once they've been harvested off of the net :grin: Will be watching this with interest!

Cheers

spikehead

IMG_7331_zpsg0beaq0m.jpg

I started painting the side parts by applying various glazes.That way its possible to tint the colors however you want. I went for yellow-green with blue-green applied in the deepest recesses. Basically I´m trying to add definition and give it some colorful hue. Now the tedious parts start. Doing the same with the other side and tackling the details, especially those undefined patches on the shoulders.

Thanks for the feedback. If this goes down well I would blog about some other bigger projects over the year.

@King Arthur
While I guess that there are some peolpe that are collectors in the first place and want to preserve rare stuff, keeping minis untouched is a bit like sealed game collecting to me. To each their own.

Back