Old School Amethyst Wizard

I'm not much of a modeller, so calling this a "project" might be an overstatement, but it's quite adventurous by my standards!

Firstly, a bit of background:

My favourite Citadel Miniatures ever created are the plastic ones from the board games: Dungeon Quest (1987), Hero Quest (1989), Advanced Hero Quest (1989), Talisman 3E (1994) and Warhammer Quest (1994)

Lately, I've become obsessed with Advanced Hero Quest and, thanks to the brilliant character-creation system therein, you can actually use more-or-less any Citadel miniature you want (providing it is a Dwarf, Elf or Human) to represent your hero. As such, I have been able to draft many plastic miniatures from the above-mentioned board games into the game.

Sadly, no plastic miniature exists for an Amethyst Wizard (except for the current Battlemage model, which I'm not interested in because it's not OLD enough), and, although a nice metal Amethyst Wizard was produced in the 90s, I want to avoid metal miniatures if I can, because I like plastic best! As such, I have decided to make my own, using plastic components from 1989.

Here is the beginning:

The Advanced Hero Quest Wizard miniature, with a scythe blade (harvested from a Hero Quest Skeleton) glued to the top of his staff (which I cut a bit to make room for the blade).

14599825_10210968480907081_941150515_o.jpg

I like how his finger is pointing toward the tip of his scythe. It's like he's reminding everyone in the room of their mortality, true to the philosophy of his College.

Current Warhammer colour schemes have Amethyst Wizards all dark purple and black and decorated with bones, but in 1989 Amethyst Wizards were merry gluttons and winebibbers who wore various shades of purple and pink! This is exactly how I intend to paint this fellow. I'll keep you posted!

Thank you. I am very pleased with how he's turned out:

yolo.jpg

The colour scheme is based on the description of the old-school Amethyst Wizards from 1989:

Amethyst Wizards are supposed to be self-indulgent and pleasure-loving individuals. It is said that their magic feeds their hunger and keeps their spirits buoyant. On occassions they can be selfish, and are prone to the worst excesses of self-interest. This comes from their introspective nature and the study of their own motivations and desires. They are masters of the hidden forces that drive Humankind and its emotions. Their speciality is magic of the soul. Of all the Colleges, the Amethyst Wizards are the most adept at constructing the magical incantations that can alter a person's will.

The Amethyst College has mauve, pink and pastels as its colours. The symbol of the College is the scythe, signifying mortality, and reminding the Wizards of this College to seek their rewards in this life rather than the next.

After joking with a friend about the Amethyst College's philosophy, we decided to name him "Yolo".

inchmurrin

A fine straight forward conversion which achieves the aim brilliantly and the paint scheme is perfect, well done.

Many thanks! Now I have a plastic Wizard from every magical College. Sadly, GW only wrote rules for four of them in Advanced Hero Quest.

Back