A humble marine...

OK, so the warm welcome has spurned me into starting a new little project (the ones that has been on hold for 10-15 years can wait a while longer).

So having spent an hour or two unpacking boxes of old 40k stuff (much of which I didn't know I had acquired), I've picked a small and hopefully finishable project to ease me back in...

NvRVUG8.jpg

A 2nd Ed Marine sgt figure ( i think), who'd lost his chainsword and bolt pistol to some other project (I prefer chunkier looking weapons for the most-part so they probably ended up on an RTB-01 marine - the original plastic bolt pistol with the beaky marines just doesn't do it for me). Chopped up an arm to get a pose I liked and found some-sort of power weapon in the bits box.

Gonna try a new colour scheme - previously I painted green/black - which is safe and suits marines well, but...

My boy slapped some Khorne Red and Averland Sunset together on a marine and they look like a nice contrast, so I might give that a go! He's quite chuffed that Dad is going to copy his colour scheme!

Fimm McCool

That looks like a Space Crusade Power Axe too, old-school loveliness right there. I look forward to seeing your artistry! :)

I never tire of that plastic Sarge.

My first ever conversion was cutting the chainsword off of the Space Wolf Captain and replacing it with a Space Crusade power axe, as it happens.

Yay!

OK, at least I've made a start to my first figure in over 10 years... Having previously taken the approach of spray 'em black, pick out the armour in green and dry brush the weapons with silver... I've tried to be a little more adventurous. Even trying a little black ink towards the end to mucky him up a bit.

Ta-da...

aLg6VYM.jpg

chTeYEj.jpg

lI6wBdX.jpg

I chose to add a little blue, firstly to prevent me reverting to type and having all of the closer-to-the-skin stuff being black, but I then thought that a little blue on the shoulders would help to distinguish the sarg from the rank-and-file. Had intended the chest-plate crest to be in bleached-bone but I don't have any yet, but I quite like it as it is now.

I'm chuffed at what I achieved at a first attempt! Plenty of things I could do differently, and using ink for the first time ever did result in a mild panic as everything literally turned black before I proceeded to drybrush most of it off again (is this normal, or have i missed a trick?). Not sure about his skin-tone, hadn't intended it to look the same as his armour, indeed before using the ink on the armour, it was very different!

I wouldn't expect anything other than supportive comments from a community forum, but I would appreciate some pointers and suggestions from those with a more seasoned eye than mine...

Golgfag1

OK, you asked- not knowing how extensive your palette is & what finish you want (table top or display?). Here goes, short & sweet - Please, remember that if you want something to look bright you tend to put it next to something dark; I try to work from dark to light - hence your initial colours are fine, now get yourself some brighter reds, blues & yellows and start adding more color, this will hopefully give you 'depth'; find yourself a colour circle and put it next to your painting station - this will show you colours which blend (next to) and ones that clash (opposite) - give em a try and away you go, you'll know, when you see it - then your achieving the results you want or not. :grin: :( 8-) :lol:

Hope this helps

Paul / Golgfag1

Thank you Paul, it does help!

Currently I've not got may different colours, but I'll look to blend/grab a few more lighter shades and have a go. I think I'll leave the sarge as-is for now, as it'll give me a reference point as I try things out on other models.

I hadn't really thought about the finish I was looking for... I'm happy trying to develop a bit of confidence and experience beyond my basic functional painting of the past. I'm looking to settle on an outline marine colour scheme that I like the look of, as a step towards painting up a chunk of my marine collection to a decent standard that wouldn't look out of place at a BOYL or somesuch.

Thanks again!

Golgfag1

No problem Max, you don't often see progression of painting a figure here in WIP, suggest you take a look at my Preparation for BOYL topics to see what I described, it may help?

You're in Hampshire - where about's, you may find you've a few Old hammer players / painters quite close by.

Paul / Golgfag1

painting is difficult, but the more you do it, the better you get. i found that there are loads of useful tutorials online as well, and when you find yourself able to do something that you couldn't do before its a great feeling. as a first mini that's a damn good go, far better than my first attempt. your lines are great, all the paint is where it should be, you've painted eyes ffs, and i can't get that right these days! with this one i'd say do another layer or two, the red and brown are a bit lost to the undercoat. just doing that will bring out the colours better.

Back