The Fimir of Albion - WIPS

Mr Saturday

Well, I continue my quest to have an fimir thread on every forum in existence. While a lot of the models I'm using aren't old school, as far the army goes it's as oldhammer as it gets. Here's what I'm doing at the moment:

Fimir_wip_76.jpg

I'm working on some more marlwyrm riders right now. This fellow needed a neck, a rebuilt right shoulder and some work where his tail meets his previously orcish bottom. I added a cowl as well, with a bronze broch to the front. This time I'll paint the bugger before I stick him on the mount.

You can see the musician in the back there. I've just started on his neck musculature, which is a little tricky as he's turning and angling his head. Time for the anatomy books. I better decide is he's going to be hooded first though, it wouldn't be the first time I've spent an hour sculpting muscle only to cover it with a hood, cloak or coif.

Fimm McCool

These guys are looking so cool! What was it you're fielding them as?

I like the wolves you've got on your blog post too, are they for the Fimm? I've been after non-mutant, nice-looking wolves for some time now but they seem to be scarce and pricey.

Mr Saturday

Hey Fimm, cheers. In the current edition they'll be Warriors of chaos skullcrushers, for 3rd I'm not sure, some manner of allied monsters.

Yep, the wolves are for the fimir. One of them will eventually be replaced with two models on 25x25 bases, another warhound and a human handler. They took a while to get indeed, but most of them arrived within about two weeks, mostly from trades on this forum!

Mr Saturday

Fimir_wip_77.jpg

Two more marlwyrms are now complete and awaiting riders. I did rather enjoy painting the tiny version of Crom on the base of the guy on the right. I love adding those little details. They've just been given a coat of gloss before the matt is applied. It's usually when I'm putting the coat of gloss on I spot any little mistakes, and these lads were no exception, so there's a little touching up to do before the matt goes on. (Then more gloss on the pustules, then moss and grass on the base, then water effects, then drool...) I now have eleven days to paint the two riders and five war hounds and I find I'm looking up dog marking patterns for Celtic mastiffs.

I really must love punishing myself.

Mr Saturday

Fimir_57.jpg

Two more marlwyrms join their previously completed brother to bring the unit up to three. The ogre parts I had hoarded were a Godsend, providing the musician's horn, the mantrap, bags, body parts and other bits and bobs. Scibor's Celtic shields really did the trick too. For now, the unit is complete, though I will add a fourth wyrm later on, the Gáe Bulg wielding Brodar. I have to locate an appropriate barbed spear head.

On the painting table at the moment are five hounds. The colour scheme is based off Celtic mastiffs, and it does look pretty cool if a little fiddly. I have some base work and detailing left to do, then it's the army packing headache and we're off to blood the Fir Domhan at their first tourney as a full army.

Here a couple more images of the completed musician and standard bearer.

Fimir_55.jpg

Fimir_56.jpg

ardyer

They're looking excellent. I just wish I could face them in battle...but really only to see them in person :lol:

lenihan

A true inspiration. I'm making a start on painting up my fimir (and allied nasties) for halloween, and although it'll be a far more minimalist approach than your lavishly painted forces, there's loads I'm learning here.

Just a question about how the army plays; I see you have the malwyrm riders as cavalry; do you have any forces with missile capacity, or do you think a purely hand-to-hand combat only force is more appropriate for Fimir (which is most likely the route I'm going down)?

Mr Saturday

Cheers Lenihan.

Yep, the marlwyrms fill the role of monstrous cavalry. There are no missile troops to speak of, I think the lack of depth perception and tendency to stick to the mists would mean the fimir would not tend to rely on missile troops. Any I do add will probably be human tribesman allied to the fimir.

lenihan

I think you're right about the depth perception issues! I did consider whether some organic artillery would be appropriate (something along the lines of - although obviously not the same as - Tyranid biovore), a creature that launches bile and acts as an artillery piece, but I have yet to find something suitable for such a role.

lenihan

Mr Saturday":28ohxge9 said:
You mean like this?

Yeah, like that only... er... well, yes, like that.

I can only assume you stole my idea, went back in a time machine, and then modelled and painted it better than I ever could just to ruin my fun! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HISSS!

In all seriousness, fantastic model, and it's interesting to see there's some kind of precedent on this! If I find a suitable model to do something similar, would be interested to find out what rules you use for it.

Mr Saturday

Sorry about that, couldn't help meself! I use this guys as artillery by adding maggot daemon 'crew' and adding him to a larger base (which I'm still building) He's a RAFM cythonian with some extra tentacles added round the base of the.. um... mouth, I guess it is.

All true John, all true. Especially the story about the pool cue.

Dreamfish

Administrator
Fantastic Mr Saterday, love your work and I think I'm going to order some of those shields you used. How did you make the slime effect?

Back