A little bit lost, a little bit damned

Gallivantes

It appears my hobby desk has been usurped by a fledgling Nurgle Champion, name of which so far unknown. His ragged band of misfit followers and assorted scum have already grown beyond mere warband status. I don't know where it will end but it looks like he has delusions of grandeur. There has been talk of giants...

So, the time has come for me to scratch a long standing itch and put together a Chaos warband/army. My influences lie strongly in the eighties and the Realm of Chaos books so I thought this forum might be a suitable place to keep tabs on the progress. I won't be able to use vintage lead exclusively for this (unfortunately) but I intend to convert the newer models to the best of my ability to fit into the RoC aesthetic as much as I possibly can.

For starters, I am not going to let myself be limited by the latter editions of the army lists. I'm a collector, modeller and painter first and foremost; not a gamer. For this reason all things daemonic and beastly will also be welcomed into this project. My broad vision for the force is one of a Champion that eventually will have travelled far and wide, drawn all sorts of followers to his unholy cause, assimilated members of vanquished forces and attracted the attention of daemonic entities. I've got a random pile of Citadel and Marauder miniatures from the eighties and nineties and I won't hesitate to use them!

Enough said, picture time. This being the oldhammer forum I shall not rock the boat by posting new fangled contraptions, instead I have used 100% oop lead in this shot.

It's mostly a colour palette test more than anything. Handily enough the middle guys work nicely as a Sorceror Lord and Sorceror on foot so I can tick those off the list. The Chaos warriors will surely come in handy too for infantry blocks.

More to follow.

Attachments

• 001_01.jpg
    001_01.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 5,773

Gallivantes

These are the culprits who started this. I stumbled over a "Corruptors of the Apocalypse" box from Avatars of War on sale in the game store.

No major conversions going on here amongst the rank and file (the models look pretty suitably Nurgley already). I sculpted some swollen guts on all the warriors, plus the extra standard bearer arm set provided the opportunity to make a couple of great weapon conversions.

The command group had a bit more work done to them. The unit leader got a classic tentacle arm and a bald head to set him apart a bit from all the helmeted warriors. The standard bearer got his tombstone icon swapped out for a custom made Nurgle staff top. This is something I plan to do a lot throughout the army. The three circle Nurgle icon is such a great basic design to replicate in lots of different ways. I also grew quite fond of this guy after I slapped a Bretonnian helmet on him. The helmet and gut gave him tons of swagger, he quickly became a favourite of mine. There has to be something proper dark in his past for him to leave his cushy life at Bretonnian court to go hang out with this lot. I sense backstory in the making. The musician also turned into quite a character. He's nominated by the rest of the unit to be the most likely to go full spawn next.

Attachments

• 002_01.jpg
    002_01.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 5,770
  • 002_02.jpg
    002_02.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 5,770

Gallivantes

A couple of the warriors have gone chaos spawn!

I made these from left over mouth-torsos from the Corruptors of the Apocalypse set. The arms are spare orc arms from the bits box, dremeled and drilled for a rusted/pitted surface lok.

After pinning the arms to the bodies I built wire armatures for the legs to get the poses I wanted, then greenstuffed details over.

Attachments

• 003_01.jpg
    003_01.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 5,714
  • 003_02.jpg
    003_02.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 5,714
  • 003_03.jpg
    003_03.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 5,714

Gallivantes

Happy New Year Oldhammerers!

My Chaos Army is slowly taking shape. I have a bit of a multi-pronged approach to putting it together. On the one hand I like the 80s citadel ranges a lot, so I delight at the sight of your typical Oldhammer warband. But I also like conversions and I've always enjoyed the sight of massed ranks in armies too. I guess I want it all (cue Freddie Mercury). I'm including all of the above in my project taking my time to get it all done but hey, it's not the goal it's the journey, right? A journey of swearing over Ebay prices and passing out from glue fumes, sure, but a journey nonetheless.

Here's me taking stock of last year's work in a few photos. Apologies in advance for the poor quality shots as I don't have access to a fancy photo rig and camera. First up are 80's citadel models I've picked out from my collection that will fit the Nurgle army. The "Oldhammer Warband" shot, if you will; a lord, a sorceror, minotaurs, ogres, a dragon ogre, warriors, skaven, plaguebearers and some chaos goblins. Technically I suppose the goblins are "normal" goblins but I find that the raggedy irregular feel of these pre-slotta goblins have a suitably chaotic feel.

Attachments

• Nurgle_Oldhammer.jpg
    Nurgle_Oldhammer.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 5,434

Gallivantes

Up next are conversions. If I don't have the army list selection available in old citadel lead I have a crack at kitbashing them. I get a bit of a kick out of finding good use for some of the boring, ugly plastic monopose ranges. I have put at least six of those ranges to good use by hacking them up, reposing, kitbashing and sculpting stuff on top. I made some knights, beastmen, centaurs and chaos dwarves this way.

Another piece I enjoyed working on was a Nurgle Lord on Palanquin, carried not by Nurglings but by two chaos Ogres. Sweeet. I also scratch built a Nurgle giant from a simple plastic toy. I'm currently working on a Lord on dragon, Lord in a Chariot and a Daemon Prince.

Attachments

• Nurgle_Conversions.jpg
    Nurgle_Conversions.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 5,431

Gallivantes

Finally there's the rank and file to bulk out the horde a bit. Three blocks of warriors, a gang of plaguebearers and enough Minotaurs to carry us into next year.

It seems I have thirty-five minotaurs in total, counting spares. I fail to present an excuse for this that makes sense.

The goblins pictured are my idea of Marauders (as a proxy in later warhammer editions). I don't have any old school marauders or thugs so i have gone with the idea of a motley crew of other lightly armoured troops. There are only goblins in this shot, but I have enough ungor, skaven and other fellows to make a ninety-something strong block. I am not totally against the idea of the loincloth barbarian look for marauders, but they would be a better fit for the Khorne ensemble. This throng of pitiful, manky hangarounds feels more conducive to a Campaigning Nurgle army to me.

Attachments

• Nurgle_Horde.jpg
    Nurgle_Horde.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 5,431
Wow! Just fkn Wow!!! :shock:

I can't believe that I missed all your work over the past year. You gotta give us more close-ups of your minis man! Especially the painted up Minotuars :grin: I really like your chaos spawn conversions too, any painted up yet?

Oh, and ALL your other conversions looks ace too! The planquin, dragon, Minotuars etcetera all deserve more photos of them.

Hit us with a photo dump Gallivantes!!!! :grin:

Gallivantes

Optimus: No, haven't painted the spawns yet. They're currently being eyed up by a Slaneeshi upstart champion who's considering shanghaiing them to pull a chariot he might build. I made them for the Nurgle contingent but they ended up quite spindly and hectic looking I'm thinking they might be a great fit for a Slaneesh outfit. We'll see.

I do this quite a bit, ponder what models go best where from the ones I've got. I've put most work into the Nurgle section so far but I'm all for catering for all four chaos powers in time. I have allocated a core force of oldhammer warriors, champions, daemons and ogres for all four from my collection so far, meaning when I have a case like the spawns I can just reassign them.

I often let an idea percolate for a while and sit on my shelf as a blu-tac mockup of parts before I commit to gluing it together and start slapping paint on. And I'm glad I have as some ideas have been dismantled and then resurrected in some other, better form. That's why I don't tend to post updates as I go so much because I never really know if it's a keeper, haha.

Gallivantes

Here are some more closeups I had lying around, until I get around to shoot some more.

Attachments

• 2_Conversions_2.jpg
    2_Conversions_2.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,505
Those german toys have been enticing me for years now. The dinos are great, but as with most of their range, their bloody expensive! Looks like you got yourself a bargain :grin: How much of the original Zulu is left? Or did you sculpt him out of existance :lol: His size and pose looks great as a giant. Finding giant minis that look good & aren't cost prohibitive is a mighty difficult task. If I could sculpt as well as you I'd do the same.

I think the nurgle champ needs a slightly bigger head, but the rest of it ace! The proportions and stance from the original 40K Ork really suit the Chaos Champion conversion you've used him for.

Those spawns are really unique! I can't wait to see them painted :grin:

And the Minotaur conversions/swaps are the bomb! Excellent work Gallivantes :grin:

Gallivantes

All of him is left underneath but entirely covered with a new anatomy layer, the garments and all the nurgley detail so in that way he has been sculpted out of existence yes!

Could be a bigger head is due for the champ. I like him pinhead style but I'm also glancing at the Goodwin champ with a Great Unclean One style head. That would also fit, and be a great hommage for sure. Food for thought.

Gallivantes

Some closeups of the Nurgle minotaurs.

Attachments

• Nurgle_Minotaur_1.jpg
    Nurgle_Minotaur_1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Nurgle_Minotaur_2.jpg
    Nurgle_Minotaur_2.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Nurgle_Minotaur_3.jpg
    Nurgle_Minotaur_3.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,495
Impressive work! I especially like the Nurgle giant, chaos spawns, minotaurs and the dwarfs (maybe we could get a close-up of the latter? ;) )

BTW, how did you paint the skin of the goblins? I am starting to build a greenskin army (or warband), and right now I'm testing different skin tones before I start painting them for real.

Yeah, see, these are just fkn awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really top notch work on these guys Gallivantes :grin:

Unleash the floodgates my friend! More close ups for us to drool over :grin:

Gallivantes

LilBroGrendel: The goblin skin is courtesy of previous owner so I can't take credit for it. I don't know what he's used but I would describe it as a pale lime green with a faint brown wash over. Nothing fancy for shadows or highlights, just that it seems. On the simple side, but effective in it's own right. Pale and grubby, like the cave dwelling scum they probably are.

Back