Fimm's BOYL Fimir-o-quest diary

Show us what you are working on at the moment

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Fimm's BOYL Fimir-o-quest diary

Day 1
Dear diary...

After Mr Chico asked a few days ago how everyone was doing with their BOYL 2016 preparations I did a count of figures I needed to paint. Came out at 146. If I start now and do 6 a day I'll be sorted... best begin then!
Fortunately most of these are heroquest minis which are nice and quick to paint. I'd forgotten how great they are actually, lots of charm and well-designed for beginner painters as a simple undercoat, base coat and wash and they look the part. Remind me I said how much I liked them in a week's time when there are still Orcs to do!

Some of these I bought from ebay already undercoated. Rather than add another thickness of primer I decided to leave them with a white base. The others I did my usual black/grey undercoat with white mist (they call it 'zenithal' apparently) and lined up ready to begin. After doing the skin on 8 goblins I still had paint left over so started on 8 orcs as well...

1.jpg
1.jpg (235.37 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

Clothing in a combination of four different browns, with Sepia ink washed over the top. Also managed to paint the weapons black on all my remaining Heroquest figures so already pulling ahead of my 6-a-day goal. Hopefully that should give me a nice long time to spend on the more important miniatures- I'm biting the bullet and painting up my Wizards of Morcar miniatures for the event.

2.jpg
2.jpg (191.41 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

That just leaves me with teeth, eyes and metal to do tonight. With any luck I'll get started on another batch. :)

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:09 am

Re: Fimm's BOYL Fimir-o-quest diary

Day 2
Dear diary...

Well I didn't manage to get the weapons, eyes and teeth painted last night. Instead I got the flesh and clothing on another 8 Orcs and 8 Goblins, I figured I can do all the metals and details in one batch.
This morning I have made further progress, with the base coats done on another 7 Orcs and the flesh on 9 Fimir.

1.jpg
1.jpg (224.54 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Once these guys are washed that will be all the Goblins and all the Orcs (until another 8 Orcs and 6 Goblins arrive through the post to complete the units!) done... well, minus the details. This is also all the Fimir I need to complete my block of 38 Shearls. Then I need to organise how the Fimm and Fianna will be ranked up, paint the chariots and Dirach coven... a way to go yet, but that's 48 of 146 underway and 39 of 146 almost finished 2 days in. Plenty of room for the schedule to slip there!

2.jpg
2.jpg (138.47 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Good posts maybe I'll do something similar.

Post Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Day 3
Dear diary...

Last night I managed to paint all the eyes, teeth, belt buckles, bases and weapons on 39 orcs and goblins. A couple of the golbins are original ball and chain fanatics so I want to come back to them for a bit more detail if I have time, but they're done for now. Another 4 orcs and 2 goblins arrived in the post, but I'll wait until the others join them before starting on that batch.

1.jpg
1.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

Today I've been at the Fimir. I only need 9 of these to add to the block of HQ Fimir my army already has so they aren't an awful chore. Flesh was already base coated, so bronze weapons and dark leather straps....

2.jpg
2.jpg (169.82 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

...and a sepia wash over everything. I love these models, always my favourite playing HQ as a kid, but they don't take a wash as well as the orcs and goblins do. Not to mention I had to pop them in the oven at the weekend to repose them so they'd rank up! Never mind, a quick touch up of the bronze and they're good to go. Just need to pop the eyes and teeth in tonight. That will make 48 models out of 146 done, only 98 to go!

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Day 4
Dear diary...

Today I have been with the chaos warriors. These chaps take a lot longer than the greenskins to paint. My 'normal' chaos warriors in my HQ set are plain, dark iron-looking armour and leather gloves and boots, but these guys are the Doomguard, the elite fighting force of Morcar's armies, so they had to have the classic McVey colour scheme.

1.jpg
1.jpg (116.88 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

I especially wanted to take a bit of time over them as they are being lead by Slambo, the epitome of the chaos warrior as far as I'm concerned. I've never painted one before and it's been interesting as I always thought he was basically a conversion of the original prototype HQ warrior. A closer look, however, reveals that if he is it's a very complex conversion, so I don't think he can be. Nevertheless he is just right to lead this unit of warriors into battle. The lightning on the prototype warrior's armour has fascinated me for years. I have no idea how MMV did it. My most recent thought is that maybe he painted it in reverse, blocking in the sections between the lightning bolts? Anyway, it's awesome and I wasn't able to come even close with my finest brush, but still quite happy with how they turned out.

2.jpg
2.jpg (109.42 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

Still need a wash over the weapon hafts and the metals doing. That's 53 of 146...

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Just for fun I may have to bring in my version of this colour scheme painted when I was 12 or so with just the citadel basic paint set. I was really proud of him at the time and if he could join these superior doom Guard, perhaps at the back where no one can see him 12 year old me or perhaps he would be most pleased.

Anyway I must thank you for adding the Hero Quest into this Hero quest game.

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Erny wrote: I was really proud of him at the time and if he could join these superior doom Guard, perhaps at the back where no one can see him 12 year old me or perhaps he would be most pleased.

Do it. I have a unit of 35 warriors, only 10-15 of which will have this colour scheme, the rest are quicker paint jobs. Is it just the one figure or should I make room on the movement tray for a rank?

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Just the one, assuming I can find him. All the others had already received thick silver enamel paint jobs.

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Erny wrote:Just the one, assuming I can find him. All the others had already received thick silver enamel paint jobs.

Not entirely true, I did a purple and blue scheme one.

Post Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Loving your work Fimm, McVey all the way.
R.I.P. Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus

My blog http://leadoralivebruno.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/enter-bruno.html
Next

Return to WIP