Looking for a particular paint colour

I'm painting some old Citadel chaos horses and I want the base coat of the skin to be a very deep brown similar to that on display in the base coat of the figure below:

BA0210.jpg

Trouble is when I try to darken my browns with black it doesnt work, so I'm looking for an off the shelf solution. It's not easy for me to visit shops during the week so online ordering is best, but its difficult to accurately determine how the colour looks from online colour charts. Any suggestions? I dont mind which company I use, but I'm currently using GW, Foundry and Vallejo.

Chico

To me that looks like the old GW Scorched Brown, so best match would be Coat D'Arms Hairy Brown or Game Colour Charred Brown

Asslessman

Chico":ogorszc7 said:
To me that looks like the old GW Scorched Brown, so best match would be Coat D'Arms Hairy Brown or Game Colour Charred Brown

+1 on Chico, I actually use the game colour version and it can be darkened pretty well (worked for a third of my brettonians steeds)

Asslessman":mhg387nt said:
Chico":mhg387nt said:

+1 on Chico, I actually use the game colour version and it can be darkened pretty well (worked for a third of my brettonians steeds)

How do you darken it? Just with black? E.g. chaos black.

Asslessman

At the time I used mixed inks (black and brown) in different ratio to have changes in the steed's skin, I then just painted the big blocks in brown again leaving the darkened brown in the inner areas, then it's just plain and siple highlighting blended (or not) to whatever level you seek. I used to lighten up this brown with bestial brown if I remember right

Here is an example of what it gives if it's close enough to what you're looking for :

EDIT : oh and I remember using bronzed flesh too to ligthen my brown to do thin highlights on edges

Attachments

• DSC_5692.JPG
    DSC_5692.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,577

Harry

Back then that would have been something like scorched brown highlighted up then skaven brown ink as a wash to give the very dark brown.

Chico

GW Nuln Oil (Black Wash) over the top of Charred Brown/scorched Brown is how i base coated my Fimir. Pretty much use Nuln Oil for everything now, base colour then wash then reapply base and highlight up :)

Chico":1ottrfga said:
GW Nuln Oil (Black Wash) over the top of Charred Brown/scorched Brown is how i base coated my Fimir. Pretty much use Nuln Oil for everything now, base colour then wash then reapply base and highlight up :)

I'm using a nuln oil wash on my chaos knights (lots of deep recesses in the armour) but I want to avoid it on the horses because I'll probably just end up beig heavy handed and pooling it too much.

Chico

Great thing about Nuln Oil is that its very hard to be heavy handed with it i find, so long as its shaken well before use otherwise it'll either go misty or shiny.

Asslessman

Citadel Collector":txzv1306 said:
I'm using a nuln oil wash on my chaos knights (lots of deep recesses in the armour) but I want to avoid it on the horses because I'll probably just end up beig heavy handed and pooling it too much.

You can't use too much of the stuff, sometimes I could just dip the mini in the stuff.

**slightly OFF TOPIC**
If you want to push things further on the matter, there is this excellent article
** OFF TOPIC CLOSED**

EDIT : and yeah pretty much all the new GW range has to be shaken with vigor for the medium separates very easily

Blue in VT

For another alternative...Vallejo Model Color Chocolate Brown (872) is my go to dark brown color....also a great base color for gold and bronze pieces.

cheers,

Blue

ardyer

Two things I'd give a try, Vallejo Model Color has a shade called SS Camo Black-Brown that is really dark brown that could work for either mixing in for the shade or as a base.

The other thing you might want to dry is mixing in the darkest blue or the darkest green you can get your hands on. If you want to get into color theory, that is the proper way to do it.

Had a rummage in my assorted paints collection and found some charred brown I didnt know I had! I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the tips on the other stuff, and for the link Asslessman.

Back