Orcs & Goblins by Subedai

Erny

Looking very nice Subedai and quite a unique unit to boot, I can't imagine many people have mounted MB2's on Citadel boars.

My own Snortas, with frenzy spell on them didn't do so very well against a humble unit of skeletons, bogging down for the whole game so don't expect miracles!

Subedai

Thanks! The most important thing I want them to do is to look bloody good while they are doing it! Not sure yet whether I will mix Marauder and Citadel boars. I have some Marauder boars on their way at the moment, will see how they look next to this one.

In terms of effectiveness, I'd always want to use cavalry as a flanking force and not for a frontal, unsupported charge. The war boars aren't particularly fast, so I'll have to see how that works out. Also, against Undead the Ld penalty could be a problem, they might end up not charging at all.

Subedai

Ah, only get an Ld penalty, not Cl, so it doesn't actually matter in terms of Fear... Yes, powergaming it is!

Subedai

I received two Marauder boar samples but decided against using them for my Snortas as they are noticeably smaller.

So instead I'll start on a unit of Gruntas as well and will use them as the first mob for another tribe to join my horde. The more the merrier, the possibilities for backstabbing and infighting are going to be endless!

Chico

Heh Snortas and Gruntas? Sounds like my love life ;) How about some Black Orcs and Hobgoblins to go with that eastern theme of the main tribe?

Subedai

Chico":1avb1k6y said:
Heh Snortas and Gruntas? Sounds like my love life ;) How about some Black Orcs and Hobgoblins to go with that eastern theme of the main tribe?
Definitely planning on those for the future. I have none of the old Black Orcs at the moment and just a small unit of Hobgoblins. In terms of the developing background of my horde I see them as later additions, for now I want to build up the footprint of the Greedy Maws and add to the coalition of western tribes that flock to their banner.

Building up the cavalry will be a slowish process and anyway I need to do a lot more painting on what I fielded in last battle.

Subedai

Another rank of Big Uns done.

wfb3_orcs_shields_02.jpg

wfb3_orcs_shields_03.jpg

Orlygg

Great orcy minis mate. Just a little suggestion for your shields, try using black ink to fine line around the detail of your shields- it really makes them pop!

Subedai

Orlygg":1gecnysj said:
Great orcy minis mate. Just a little suggestion for your shields, try using black ink to fine line around the detail of your shields- it really makes them pop!
Cheers mate. I did that at the beginning when figuring out the way I wanted to paint these, the first two I did have them. I wasn't really convinced by the result, it looked too comic book for my liking. Maybe I'll try something like a drop shadow effect on the next lot.

tancrede

As said by the others, I love the way you've done the shields, but I think it will be better to paint a thin black line around the details.

Asslessman

Shields are good. I especially like the contrast on your orc skin. the very pale highlighting with darker green in the recesses works relly well to give a weathered skin appearance. IF I was to paint orcs (or orks) once in my life (and I really mean IF), I'd definitely go this way (and once again that's nowhere near happening).
Damn, you're almost making me want to paint orcs...

Subedai

Thanks all. Two more ranks to go before the group shot. Oh, and the banner, that might take some trial and error.

The keylining reminded me too much of Jet Set Radio. One of my favourite games but didn't do it for me re. the unit look. I began painting Orc skin in stark contrasts in the 90s when GW started painting theirs in flat greens that I found really bland. I don't bother much with layers of blended colours since I wouldn't have the time and I like the effect as it is when they are at battlefield distance.

Asslessman":1gw7jp09 said:
Damn, you're almost making me want to paint orcs...
Would love to see the results. Go on, just a little test model, I could put one of my spares in that package with the Renegades...

Asslessman

Very great Sub', I really love that bright red armour theme which gives a strong martial look to the unit. The device of the banner is especially good too.

Very very good work here.

I have to say I just painted my first orks and I wanted to copy your result on skin but failed completely... :?

PS : you could give your url to our great admin so that you have an automatic update here when you post on your blog (in Board index ‹ General ‹ Announcements ‹ news feed), it's not the same as a showroom but if your blog posts resemble your showroom posts it's a great tool !

Subedai

Asslessman":1nunvts0 said:
I have to say I just painted my first orks and I wanted to copy your result on skin but failed completely... :?
You are probably trying to be too sophisticated with it. I'm just using a very pale green (ye olde Rotting Flesh) thinned over Loren Forest that has been washed with Athonian Camoshade. Apply a few quick layers as necessary over the main muscle groups and bony parts.

Asslessman":1nunvts0 said:
PS : you could give your url to our great admin so that you have an automatic update here when you post on your blog (in Board index ‹ General ‹ Announcements ‹ news feed), it's not the same as a showroom but if your blog posts resemble your showroom posts it's a great tool !
Not convinced by the value of the feed, I am reading blog posts anyway via the WordPress/Blogger dashboards and I wouldn't want the conversations in Forum threads to be replaced by outside links that will get purged after a month and can't be commented on.

Asslessman

Subedai":1oivdi86 said:
You are probably trying to be too sophisticated with it. I'm just using a very pale green (ye olde Rotting Flesh) thinned over Loren Forest that has been washed with Athonian Camoshade. Apply a few quick layers as necessary over the main muscle groups and bony parts.
Well, I've been contaminated by the reading of Waaargh the Orks with the explanations on the rubber quality of Ork skin i believe, but you are right about the painting.

Subedai":1oivdi86 said:
Not convinced by the value of the feed, I am reading blog posts anyway via the WordPress/Blogger dashboards and I wouldn't want the conversations in Forum threads to be replaced by outside links that will get purged after a month and can't be commented on.
OK I understand, it makes sense (though I believe it gives the link to the original post) anyway, no derailing

Selkie

That is one fine looking unit, the little differences in the shield design works really well. For some reason I get a samurai/slightly oriental vibe from them - not sure why, I think it is the strong theme and style of armour. Great Stuff.

Back