Harry does dungeon tiles.

Harry

Sooooo …. I have always liked a bit of dungeon bashing and enjoyed D&D and other similar games most when played with miniatures and dungeon floor plans. I have been delighted for years by other folks efforts at building 3D Dungeons or 2.5 Dungeon tiles and blown away by some of the faithful transformations into 3D of the Warhammer Quest tiles I have seen.
I have imagined doing something similar for years and finally I have got my thumb out of my arse and done something about it.

What prompted this new enthusiasm for this project? …. Two things:

Firstly, I got behind the Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter and although that has been somewhat delayed the arrival of some very exciting dungeon goddies is just around the corner and I wanted to have a nice dungeon to put it in as I get it painted up. (Even during the Kickstarter I started thinking about how great it would be to have all this stuff painted up in a cool dungeon of my own).

Second was a thread, here, on the Oldhammer forum where a lovely fella called Stuart (AKA Bane) shares the good times he has ‘Heroquesting’ with his children. On this thread Stuart also makes some nice dungeon tiles from stryrofoam.

Now, I have always put off having a go as I worried my modelling/painting skills wouldn't give me the results I wanted BUT Stuart provided a fantastic ‘walkthrough’ step by step on his Blog:

http://thelostandtheverydamned.blogspot ... tiles.html

and managed to completely de-mistify the whole process which really gave the confidence to have a go myself. So big thanks to Stuart.

So first a few decisions …. The ones every Dungeon builder must make early on.

Walls or no walls? No brainer for me ….. walls look great but they just get in the way when you are playing and you can’t ‘sit back’ and enjoy looking at the table  … you kind of have to be standing over it looking down into it from a birds eye point of view. Also I had grown up using GW dungeon floor plans …. so ...

Size of squares? Whilst I get the urge to go bigger than 25 mm squares …. Because round bases spill out of them  and it gives a bit more breathing space for the heroic scale of models … I decided to go 25mm. I like the idea of big dungeons … so smaller tiles means bigger dungeons with more rooms will fit on the table. Most of my fantasy stuff is mounted on 20mm squares anyway so sit comfortable on 25mm squares and even the bigger monsters are on 40mm or 50 mm bases so will fit on the squares. Finally I quite fancied making some rooms and corridors with Hirst arts moulds. You can get these in 25mm squares. (Also the lasercut Heroquest board I painted recently also has 25mm squares …. and I had the idea I might try and reproduce some of these rooms as individual, generic dungeon rooms.

Ow1XGg.jpg

Border or no border. I get the urge to have a border …. To stop minis toppling of the side …. And also to keep the look of the Warhammer quest tiles. However, I think given my basing decision the first point will not be an issue for me and I decided to go with 10mm think tiles with black edges so I have retained the Warhammer Quest tile feel a little bit.

Generic dungeon of faithful reproduction of Warhammer Quest? Well the faithful reproduction bit has already been done by more talented painters than I and I had some ideas of my own I want to do ... BUT ... I will not be able to resist having a crack at a few of the Quest tiles whilst I am at it …. It would simply be rude not to. So it will be a mix of Quest tiles and original stuff.

So enough chat …. Last weekend I found myself with a day off for good behaviour and got stuck in ….

Harry

I started with some of the Warhammer quest basic rooms:

6IsRwL.jpg

bFOjG7.jpg

gT1699.jpg

0zyjOZ.jpg

This is some PVA:

VdIraQ.jpg

These are some shreddies:

efFwW8.jpg

These are some crushed up shreddies:

t832kA.jpg

Here is a bed:

0XLBCO.jpg

OK you get the idea.

D8XX9X.jpg

Then I had a go at a couple of bigger rooms of my own.

Next I stuck a boat load of Hirst arts tiles I had made earlier onto some mounting board ....

...and after a few hours I had produced this little lot. So off to a good start.

qldnf5.jpg

Harry

So this was one of my rooms:

bJPdHR.jpg

This could be set up as a fountain room .... The fountain is an Airfix piece.

OLihcc.jpg

Or as a Wizards study ... using some old Scotia Grendel bits I have:

q0v3y3.jpg

7fw3Bz.jpg

6la4ih.jpg

I have made a couple of more rooms designed to fit some of the other Scotia Grendel pieces I have:

9uSJ3V.jpg

XupQfM.jpg

quTcBc.jpg

v7gDE4.jpg

jqxKqM.jpg

Harry

Next I had at the styrofoam with my hotwire cutter:

FSCgMx.jpg

I put the same grid on this as the dungeon rooms and then covered it in sand.
I want the grid to be there but not THAT visible.

bJCdWA.jpg

Mvnct9.jpg

xXXCHP.jpg

Bane

Excellent work Harry, these all look great but I'm especially loving the use of the shreddies, great improvisation with materials! Also the more random shapes of the cavern tiles work really well too. With regards to walls, I've gone back on my original decision to not have any and instead I'm currently working on some modular, magnetised walls that can be put up or down and that can even be used as ruins for Frostgrave - I like multi-purpose!

Looking forward to the painting of these now, keep us posted..

Harry

Thanks very much fellas. Much appreciated.

ardyer":1yf67iqa said:
Damn I want to game at your place so bad! So much awesomeness!
Where do you live?
Anything is possible. :grin:

Bane":1yf67iqa said:
Excellent work Harry, these all look great but I'm especially loving the use of the shreddies, great improvisation with materials! Also the more random shapes of the cavern tiles work really well too. With regards to walls, I've gone back on my original decision to not have any and instead I'm currently working on some modular, magnetised walls that can be put up or down and that can even be used as ruins for Frostgrave - I like multi-purpose!

Looking forward to the painting of these now, keep us posted..
The random shapes did work well. I think I might get even braver and make some really random shapes. I look forward to seeing what you do with walls. I might take futher inspiration from your efforts. :grin:

I have already started the painting ... more pictures up soon.

Fimm McCool":1yf67iqa said:
Nice! After the intro to WHQ on Friday night I look forward to playing on these!
Me too. But next time we will GM it .... it is a much better game with a GM. Without the GM the combat can get a bit bogged down.

Asslessman

This is great, and inspiring, I still mean to do the excat same thing for sci-fi and this is a solution I should be considering seriously.

Matt in PA

Fantastic stuff, Harry. I've been stockpiling materials and ideas for years to do this for the Quest core and expansion set tiles, but you've got it nailed and very quickly as well! Let's see some paint. (Because I know you've got these painted already, and brilliantly.)

Harry

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.
@Asslessman .... I think the foam lends itseelf more to dungeons than space hulks.
Having seen the result possible with my laser cut heroquest board I think would go down that route if I was going to do Sci-fi tiles. Although this stuff cits sharp enough and is a stupid heap so .....
@Matt .... :grin: Give us a chance precious. Not ALL painted just yet .... I have made a start this week.... couldn't resist getting a bit of paint on some of it .... but I am mostly still making stuff. :grin:
@Citadelcollector ... Thanks Steve ....although I can never tell if your ttaking the p!ss. :grin:

This is another room inspired by an a couple of old Scotia Grendel bits.

I just had these two bits .... don't even know if they produced more of these heaxagonal bits to make a cavern system .... but thought I could use them to make a little magic pool room ....

HP63sT.jpg

o8v5A0.jpg

UcaOS8.jpg

Harry

Next I had a crack at another favorite Quest room ...

ylkzaD.jpg

qKOVAE.jpg

No idea where I got this throne with the imp ????

CwVYBH.jpg

Harry

Next I got some paint on the Hirst arts corridors I had built ....

Evh7Xz.jpg

gfELyu.jpg

At this point I couldn't resist having a little go at setting up a dungeon. :grin:

d14RQc.jpg

... and this is everything I have done so far:
(All a bit monochrome so far ... but lots more colour to come).

Hrbocj.jpg

Back