LilbroGrendel's WIP (update: Orc Huts & 90s Archers)

Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (update: 90s timber frame house)

Inspired by Blue's thread about Warhammer Townscape, I'll post some WIP pictures from a project I started in the late '90s. Back in the days, I had just bought the book "How to make Wargames Terrain" by Nigel Stillman, and I started creating a few terrain pieces. One of the projects was an attempt to re-create a timber frame house I had seen in the Orcs & Goblins army book.

I built the house from very (very!) thick, corrugated cardboard, covered in balsawood and filler. The cardboard was very hard to cut, so the construction wasn't very precise . But no worries - those kinds of building usually have slanting walls in real life, after all ;) I never finished building the house back then, but recently I have added most of the missing details, such as the roof, chimney, doorhandles and base. Now I only need to add a few more details, before I can start painting it.

Attachments

• Timber frame House 1b.JPG
    Timber frame House 1b.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,746
  • Timber frame House 1a.JPG
    Timber frame House 1a.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,746

And here's one of the pictures I was inspired by.

Oh, and thank you, daddyorchips - better late than never :)

Attachments

• Village - Iron Peak 1.jpg
    Village - Iron Peak 1.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 2,745

Gallivantes

I like the various cottage builds kicking about the forum lately. Such a classic old Warhammer thing. And the wonkier the better :)

Fimm McCool

Ace! I hope a fair few of these buildings are going to make it to BOYL, sounds like Ernie has plans which will require a goodly number of olde worlde habitations.

Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (update:

Some of you might remember that I was asking for advice about basing a mix of slotta and pre-slotta minis in the same unit. I decided to use normal bases for all of them and then hide the pre-slotta metal bases with cork and Green Stuff to make it look like rocks. The unit in question as these Half Orcs which I have finally started painting.

From the picture of the Shaman you can clearly see how tall the pre-slotta metal base is, but I think I succeeded in disguising it as rock ;)

All the slotta Half Orcs needed to have plastic shields attached. I had some proper Oldhammer shield with holes in them, but I thought they were too big. In some cases they only looked to big, in other cases they were actually too big to fit. Luckily I had a lot of Skavens shields from around 17 years ago Without the Skaven icons attached, they fit well with the roughness of the Half Orcs - and it was a piece of cake to drill holes into them :)

Attachments

• Half Orc shield.jpg
    Half Orc shield.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,571
  • Half Orc Shaman 1.jpg
    Half Orc Shaman 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,571
  • Half Orc regiment 1.JPG
    Half Orc regiment 1.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 2,571
I have the habit of jumping to and fro various different projects, making a bit of progress here and forgetting about a project there...

Now I have finally made some progress with the re-creation of the cardboard Orc Village. The huts will be made by Pringles tube for the walls, cereal box for the roof, and Guiness coasters for the bases. I have been looking for beer coasters for a long time, finding that most of them are too big - but the ones the new Guiness Nitro IPA have just the right size :lol:

To the left you can see one of the original carboards huts from GW. To the right you can see one of the Cereal-Pringles-Guinness huts. The diameter of the tube is slightly larger than that of the original huts, so the diameter of the roofs have been extended about 5 milimetres. It will all be covered in plaster/filler etc.

Since I am slowly buidling a Greenskin army, I have test-painted some of my 90's orcs. This particular one I have painted in the same colour scheme as I did back in 1998 - but now with improved painting skills. Funny to see the difference between now and 20 years ago (even though I should add that my skills haven't improved much since 2002 or thereabout).

I have also made some progress on my Half-Orc unit, but that I'll show once I can take some better pictures of them.

Attachments

• Orc Plastic Archers.jpg
    Orc Plastic Archers.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 2,184
  • Orc Huts 1.jpg
    Orc Huts 1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 2,184

Subedai

Nice work on the plastic archer, not easy to give this quite two-dimensional sculpt such three-dimensional qualities. Looking forward to the classic huts!

Fimm McCool

Those huts remind me of Raid! one of the first Warhammer scenarios I played. :) Countless Pringles tubes were used for that and Necromunda.
I hadn't realised before how similar the body of the orc archers and heroquest orcs are. I wonder if they came from the same 6-up. Beautiful painting on him in any case, really shows how good a monopose plastic can look.

inchmurrin

Fine architecture from the Pringles. Yet another great monopose figure, I am beginning to wonder if there is a challenge in there somewhere given the number of class paint jobs and conversions there are around the forum.

Cheers guys! :)

Lately, I have been busy with some completely different (not Oldhammer) hobby projects. But I hope that I will be able to finish some of my Oldhammer projects during this summer. Lately, I have also been hoarding all sorts of packaging, bottle caps etc. for terrain building purposes :)

I always liked the monopose Orc archers, but I never really cared much for the monopose Orc warriors with sword and shield from the same box. But maybe I should try and paint one of those as well and see how well they can turn out.

And yeah, it would be pretty interesting to see a challenge (or at least a thread) about monopose figures :)

Back