LilbroGrendel's WIP (update: Orc Huts & 90s Archers)

(EDIT, March 10th 2016: I just turned this thread into my general WIP thread)

When I was around 10 years old, a friend of mine gave me these five minis. A few years later, I painted them, but I never knew where they were from. I always though they were DnD minis, but now, 20 years later I just found out by googling (and googling and googling!) that they are from Prince August minis.

Well, I knew from the start that they were homecast, and when I started buying GW minis, I noticed that these five guys were cast from a much softer metal and therefore lacked a lot of detail. Furthermore, they are somewhat smaller than most minis (I think they are 25mm scale).

So, because I thought it would be a shame to strip these old minis (and that they might not even survive it because of the soft metal) I got the idea that I would try and re-create the minis out of greenstuff - and because of the scale, I decided to sculp them slightly larger than the original ones.

So here's my work so far:

Attachments

• Group 1a.jpg
    Group 1a.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4,623
  • P1271751 a.jpg
    P1271751 a.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 4,623
  • P1271753 a.jpg
    P1271753 a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 4,623
Re: Re-creating nostalgia w. greenstuff

The rest of the guys:

Attachments

• P1271757 a.jpg
    P1271757 a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 4,618
  • P1271754 a.jpg
    P1271754 a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4,618
  • P1271749 a.jpg
    P1271749 a.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,618

weismonsters":1f6zcpby said:
Great idea. I hope you have fun with the project.

Thank you. I am enjoying this project very much so far. And I have already learned a lot about sculpting this way.

Saardis

Looks like a fun project. I had a mold from Prince August knocking about for ages, and gave it to a friend who's father was an architect and had most of the lead from a (demolished) church roof under a tarp in his yard. Imagine my surprise when he fielded a regiment of monopose, rather blurry, skeletons at a subsequent game! Good luck with the project!

Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (Greenstuff, 90shammer and more)

Well, my progress in re-creating the Prince August minis has been quite slow-paced. For that reason I have turned this thread into my general WIP thread. There will be more pictures of my Prince August project when it has progressed a bit more, but in the meantime I will show some of the other projects that I have been doing lately.

So here's a little 90s-hammer. One of the first blister packs I bought was this Halfling Command Group and it represents an attitude towards painting miniatures which made me enjoy this hobby. Back in the days I just bought the models that I liked, without thinking about their purpose in an army or a game. Later on I mainly tried to create armies which slowly made my enjoyment dissapear. Now, that I have returned to the hobby, I have begun painting (and buying ;) ) the models that I like again, and this have made me enjoy the hobby again.

But back to the Haflings. Back in the days I started painting them without ever finishing them, later on I stripped them and now I have started painting them. The colur scheme is quite close to what I had started back then but now with my improved skills. So far, they have mainly been basecolored. The orange parts should look yellow when finished, and I haven't deciced how I want to highlight the Bestial Brown skin yet.

By the way, I will show some Bretonnian Bowmen that I have been painting recently as well. Maybe they aren't that interesting, as they are just plastics and not that old, but I think it's funny how big a difference the choice of colors can make. It's not easy to see that they have been painted by the same person.

Attachments

• Halfling Command Group.jpg
    Halfling Command Group.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4,385
  • Bretonnian Bowmen.jpg
    Bretonnian Bowmen.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 4,385
Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (Greenstuff, 90shammer and more)

This is another project I'm working on at the moment.

Back in the late 90s I bought a set of Orcish terrain pieces made of cardboard from GW. It consisted of this wall (or fortress section or what ever you would call it), two Gork & Mork idols and around five mud huts.

I actually think the cardboard terrain pieces are all right. However, cardboard terrain just isn't the same as terrain made of styrene, wood and plaster. So I decided to make my own version. This also gave me the opportunity to make little alterations, such as making wooden doors instead of those holes on the original and to make some bricks larger or smaller when appropriate.

Attachments

• Orcish Wall - front and back.jpg
    Orcish Wall - front and back.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4,326
  • Orcish Wall - left and right side.jpg
    Orcish Wall - left and right side.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4,326
  • Orcish Wall - seen from above.jpg
    Orcish Wall - seen from above.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 4,326

zoggin-eck

Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (90s-hammer n stuff)

Great work, I always wanted to do the same with Circle of Blood and the Dwarf brewery from Grudge of Drong! You already got further than me...

zoggin-eck":3rilxefu said:
Great work, I always wanted to do the same with Circle of Blood and the Dwarf brewery from Grudge of Drong! You already got further than me...

Thank you, Zog! I actually got way further already, since I've painted it this evening:) (However, I couldn't really take any good pictures this evening, so the pictures will have to wait.)

Actually building this piece wasn't very difficult. I just measured the original cardboard piece, cut out the basic shapes from blue styrofoam and glued them together. Then I cut the sloping(slanting?) shape with a craft knife and drew the brick-pattern with a pen. Then I covered the whole thing with plaster, and when this was dry I re-carved the lines that defined the bricks. Description of the painting technique will follow when I post the picture of the painted piece.

If you want to build dwarf buidings, I think the hardest part is probably the sloping roofs. But just go for it :)

Well, I wrote that I finished the piece, but maybe I want to highligt it just a little more. Anyway, here are some pictures:

I mainly used artist's paint for this piece. First, I basecoated the whole thing with black. Then I mixed a very dark grey by adding a little ochre and white to the black and drybrushed with this on. Then I continued adding more and more ochre and white to the mix, until I had something much like Bleached Bone. Then I made a shade of dark olive green which I added much like when drybrushing, but painting the deeper areas instead of the raised areas. I then painted a bit of Goblin Green-like paint here there and corrected a few mistakes. The doors were just painted with dark brown, highlighted with lighter brown and weathered with a little green.

I think the piece might be a little too dark, so I might add a little highlight to the upper edges of the bricks. I am actually quite surprised how well that olive green turned out, so I will add a few close-ups which makes it easier to see this effect. I will definately try this on other terrain pieces and on bases - maybe even on some Nurgle-esque miniatures :)

Attachments

• Orc Wall painted - front and back.jpg
    Orc Wall painted - front and back.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 2,911
  • Orc Wall painted - left and right side.jpg
    Orc Wall painted - left and right side.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 2,911
  • Orc Wall painted - close-up.jpg
    Orc Wall painted - close-up.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 2,911

Harry

Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (24/3 - Orc terrain)

Oh I do like that .... That is brilliant...Like that alot. Please do the rest.

Tex

Fantastic finish!
Thanks a lot for the tutorial

Gallivantes":3gblas22 said:
Did you ever carry on with this project Grendel? It looks fantastic!

Thank you very much :) Well, in my thoughts I have imagined how to create both the mud huts and the Gork & Mork idols - but in real life I have not done much :roll:

Maybe I will return to the project in a months or so from now :)

Re: LilbroGrendel's WIP (update: 90s Halflings and plastic O

Wow, I just realised it's bin almost a year since I posted any WIP pictures.

The first picture is of my dear Halfling Command Group. It's almost finished now. They just need their hairy feet painted, a few more highlights and then some banner for the pole. The colors look a bit more bright in real life, especially the jade green areas.

The second picture is four monopose plastic Arrer Boyz (they too look quite a bit brighter IRL) . I have painted them to test different ways of painting Orc skin and to test different combinations of brown and red clothing. I also tested adding green stuff mushrooms to some of the bases.

All Orcs had their skin basecoated with Goblin Green and shaded with Angel Green (both from Coat d'Arms). From left to right their skin were then highlighted by adding Bleached Bone, Bronzed Flesh, Camo Green and Golden Yellow, respectively.

Actually I painted the Orcs mainly for testing colors before I start paiting a unit of 80s metal Arrer Boyz, but I think the 90s plastic ones are probably going to join the unit anyway :)

Attachments

• Orc Arrer Boyz - 90s plastic.JPG
    Orc Arrer Boyz - 90s plastic.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 2,663
  • Halfling Command Group 2.JPG
    Halfling Command Group 2.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 2,663

Cassarus

Lots of cool stuff in here, and the haflings are pure genius! :grin:

Cassarus":35945qag said:
Lots of cool stuff in here, and the haflings are pure genius! :grin:

Thank you very much, Cassarus :) Even though the Haflings still need a bit more painting, I think that I managed to capture that vibe I got from the sculpts. I bought them around 20 years ago, so it's about time I finish them :grin:

Back