Christian's WIP thread

Christian

Decided to make this a broader WIP thread :)
Hi gang, my first post of painted stuff in along while, but here are a couple of skeletons I'm preparing for dungeon crawls via Rab's Knight's Quest... I cheated a bit as I bought these painted. I have darkened the metal with black gesso wash and painted the shields:

image_zpsvwien2d7.jpeg

I might yet clean up the bones :)

Naturally we need a questing knight and he is below. This mini was all painted by me :)

image_zpstp4mlrzt.jpeg

And some work on his shield... Yet to be weathered:

image_zps4goaijod.jpeg

Protist

Re: A Knight's Quest

Love the shields - particularly the flaming skeleton - very "metal" :twisted:

The knight is also good. What's your process with the white, especially the shield background? Its got a very textural quality to it which I rather like.

Christian

Re: A Knight's Quest

Thanks all! They're really fun to paint :) the previous shields weren't much to look at so thought the skeles could use some attention.

@Plaiecivile - go ahead! The image is inspired by a similar image in the Tarot...

RWS_Tarot_16_Tower.jpg

@Protist - As for the white, I start with a base of Khemri Brown, then give it a watered down was of black if there are any creases, then highlight in Khemri Brown again. Then I mix some white into it, progressively getting lighter. Don't worry too much about the transition at this stage. I finish it off with pure Skull White which is quite watery. I'll do a couple of layers of the thin white paint to blend the colours beneath. It's a bit convoluted but try it out. I think it works best when you don't fret too much about applying the White. It drives very clear when watered down, anyway.

Phew! Hope that helps!

Christian

Back with something different. This will probably be one of the last figures I paint this year, as I've got a couple of other projects to complete... But doing some painting after work has been quite relaxing. Anyway, here's the chap, a wizard to lead my goblins to battle.

image_zps7xi98dfo.jpeg

image_zpsukjs7ozk.jpeg

I feel like there's something missing... Runes on the robe? Some brother trim on the cuffs? Any thoughts?

He'll be sure to have a familiar in good time :) I have plenty to choose from!

I think your right Christian, he does look a little plain. I think you need to busy up his robes & add some scribbles to the scrolls?

The paint job itself is excellent, I really like the navy blue you've used on his robes & his face looks great. Don't see this guy painted up much.

I'll be interested to see what you end up doing to improve him :)

Protist

He's a cool mini and looks great painted. I agree, as above, about the robes. I often find just a single hem line around the bottom is enough to give it a little distinction, in a nicely contrasting colour! Of course you can always go a little further and do some crazy designs and patters but it depends how much time you want to spend on it.

Thanks for the write up on the white! I'll be sure to give the idea a go once I get my painting table set up again.

Back