Myeri Marsh Demons: BEING WITHDRAWN! See last page.

Fimm McCool

As requested, here is where you will find details about a possible upcoming line of minis based on Celtic mythology, the Dark Crystal and a hint of old-school Citadel Fimir.

Two years ago and more now (how time flies!) I rediscovered Heroquest and got to thinking about why Fimir were no longer in the GW world (this was shortly before they got inside my head and made Fimir a viable troop choice again!). Resolved to discover a bit more about the misty monsters I did some digging and discovered a striking similarity between them and one of my childhood inspirations- The Dark Crystal. The seeds were sown- I would have a DC themed Fimir force!

Most of my models had heads scupted onto Lizardmen bodies (there's plenty of images on my blog) but I wanted to do some sculpting from scratch too. As a propmaker sculpting is one of my passions but I've always been a bit afraid of going down to 28mm (or 32mm scale). The oversized Fimir seemed like a good way to start scaling down.

First off was the large Dirach, a horned skeksi-style magician with the distinctive bony carapace:
dirach.jpg

Then a 28mm Drui, a small magic user based on the Mystics, or UrRu
DSCF5764.JPG

Painted up- note the resculpt underway on the staff of the Drui
DSCF6175.JPG

Then my good lady said could I sculpt her a Mystic, so I tried out a large Meargh option
DSCF5942.JPG

DSCF6105.JPG

Which she did a pretty good job of painting up as her first ever mini
1044850_10151736691237279_2070581832_n.jpg

After this I decided I wanted an entirely scratchbuilt unit of Fianna Fimm, so I sculpted two bodies which I took silicone moulds from and ran resin casts, sculpting unique heads and tails on each
DSCF8615.JPG

And so we arrive at the present, a couple of multipart sculpts which will hopefully be cast up in lovely metal before the summer is out. A bit more DC themed, especially with the carapaces and longer snouts.
1000223_10151736691352279_1710864155_n.jpg

969922_10151736691427279_920270586_n.jpg

Had a good chat today with the casting people and it seems to make sense that I should fill up a centrifugal mould before getting casting done so I am looking at doing 10 models- the two warriors above, a command of a standard, musician and champion, a hero, a magic user, a smaller serf, servant, page or slave model, a Woldlouse Garthim-type monster and....

What? Here's where you get to play! If you would like to PM me a sketch design for a figure that would fit in nicely with the above then I'll post them here with a little poll to pick the favourite and the winner's design will not only be sculpted and cast up but the winner will get one of each castings absolutely free! Hooray, competition time- get those crayons out!

Chico

Re: Definitely not Fimir- the progress of the Myeri Marsh De

Looking rather tasty, each sculpt is better then the one before and much better then i could ever do :)

Zhu Bajie

ooh. might have to try drawing up a one eyed Skredling. :?

Out of interest, what kind of costs might a single figure be coming out at (including your 'profit')?

Yeah, Chico is right, it's really nice to see the improvements. The last two really look cool. If you want some constructive feedback, I'd go for a bit more texture on the rump, perhaps a few more wrinkles on the eyelid of the one on the irhgt in the last pictre to bled the mass in a little, and maybe some segmentation or grooves in the torc.

Fimm McCool

Thanks, I've not been going for high detail because I thought I'd be casting these myself. Now we're going for the pro job I can add some more goodies like detailing on the torques.

As for price, at the moment I'm thinking it will be £5 for the two warriors and the slave type, £5 for the command group, £3 each for the hero and magic user, £5 for the Woldlouse and....? But these are estimates, won't know for sure until I get accurate weight measurements from the casters.

Mr Saturday

Well, casting some, ah... not fimir, are we? I'll take a set off you for sure!

Wow, I love the Dark Crystal!!!

Wicked syuff, that obelisk with the crystal on it rocks! :mrgreen:

Fimm McCool

Heh, it's been a busy week so far so no sculpting has occurred. At the moment I'm trying to get all the files for my War of the Worlds board game finished and uploaded so I can get prototypes printed before september. Have some preliminary sketches though so I'll begin next week and hopefully have the batch ready for casting before the end of August.

Fimm McCool

Just John

Looks very interesting - will it be compulsory to listen to Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds while playing the game? Its just the sort of game my group would be interested in as it seems to involve back stabbing and general gentlemanly conduct :grin:

Fimm McCool

Backstabbing galore! And yes it is compulsory to liste to JW, but it has to be the ORIGINAL, none of this revisited crap. I'll let you know when it's on public release. Hopefully soon to be followed by two expansions, one of which will introduce even more scurrolous dealings!

Just John

My JW is so original its on Vinyl 8-) Double album with great artwork.

Chico

No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope
studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered
the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds
immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and
surely, they drew their plans against us.

phreedh

Just John":2hcgvpb5 said:
My JW is so original its on Vinyl 8-) Double album with great artwork.
Thanks for reminding me John. I had completely forgot about this album and will enjoy it the next time I get to spend some time painting!

Fimm McCool

Chico":1uwe33dn said:
While your Tri Pod is large and impressive its not an Fimir :o , so i'm happy your starting the next lot of Marsh Bunnys tomorrow :)

Armatures done and first few deep level muscles sculpted on a 'slave', musician, standard bearer, champion, hero and mystic models, plus basic legs and shell shapes for the woldlouse done.

Back