Freebooter Space Ork army

urion

Count Von Bruno's Space Ork thread (http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2610) has inspired me to make an ork army and since I have more space orks than any other oldhammer models I decided to put them to use and make a Death Skulls army. Why death Skulls? Well, for one they are my favorite tribe. Two, it seems they are not very popular as a tribe and I want to help represent them. Three, I have 40+ heavy weapon orks.
I wrote up a 2000pt list and it only took a third of my ork models. I wanted to include a unit of madboys (my favorite unit), but I only have one madboy model.

Here are my first two miniatures for the army. The first one will either be my warlord or a nob.
4lhr1g.jpg

2s7gc2p.jpg

10397xz.jpg

25iut78.jpg

Here is my list.
Death Skulls Army...2000pts.
Warlord
Power armor, Bolter, assault weapon, stikkbombz, Force Field.

Warboss's Retinue
5 Drillboss Nobz w/power armour, assault weapon, stikkbombz.
1 Mechboy w/kustom weapon, force field.
1 Weirdboy w/ force field.
2 Runtherds.

Death Skulls Big Mob.
1 Runtherd.
10 boyz.
3 auto-cannons, 4 Heavy Stubbers, 3 Heavy Bolters.

Death Skull Boyz Mob.
5 Heavy Plasma Guns.

Death Skull Boyz Mob.
2 Multi-meltas.

Runtherd Oddbitz.
3 Pulse Rokkits.

Mekboy Oddbitz.
Vindicator.
Tin Boy.

Chaos Renegade ork warband.
Mighy Chaos Champion of Khorne (I'll have to get an old flesh hound to convert this champion.)
7 Gifts: Strength, Aggression Bonus, Cross breed/flesh hound, Chaos Armour (Bonded), Frenzy, Flesh Hound, Regeneration.
Attributes: Overgrown Body Part (torso X3)

Followers:
Ork Freebooter Kaptain (I don't have a Freebooter kaptain so I'll be using a Skarboy.)
Bolt pistol and sword.

2 Freebooter Orks (I only have one regular freebooter so the second one will be another skarboy.)
bolt pistol and sword

4 Chaos Squat (Only have the power armour versions of chaos squats so that is what I'll be using.)
Flak armour, bolters.

6 Chaos Cultists (The only unit I have nothing for.)
Chaos Attribute: Green Skin.
3 w/flak armour
2 w/lasguns
2 w/las pistols
2 w/bolt pistols.

symphonicpoet

Re: Space Ork Death Skulls

Absolutely love your boss. He looks fantastic. I've always liked that particular set of models. (Like him a lot better than my own Death Skull boss, actually.)

urion

Thank you. I have a lot of the power armor nobs. I have another version of this model that was converted with a plastic ork powerfist. I may end up using that one as my warboss. I'm still not sure. I have the normal Death Skull warboss as well and I was originally going to use him as my leader, but I had exactly 6 points left to use so I gave him power armor. I'm painting random figures rather than doing them per unit so I don't get bored with one type of unit. Also that way I can still change my list around and not have extra models that are painted that I am not going to use in the list. The next one I am going to paint is my freebooter. I'm hoping I can find some more Freebooters and madboys for trade at some point. I only have one of each, but I'd really like a unit of each. :mrgreen:

Great, real world painting there mate!

I sympathise with you, I was always a Space Wolf guy back in the day but once I started on old skool Space Orks all of a sudden I had way more of them than everything else combined :lol:

The minimalistic use of the blue is striking.

urion

Thank you. With the weirdboy my idea for the minders is that they are the space ork equivalent of black orcs and wear very dull patched together clothes while the weirdboy, do to his explodie nature, needs to be vibrant and bright, but also patched together. Still working on color ideas for the Freebooter.

urion

Thank you. Here is another. I am considering making my army a Freebooter army rather than a Death Skulls army. I've been reading through the Freebooterz book and I've found that you can include a lot more units than just Freebooter pirates so its a lot like a "normal" ork army but with more variation in the color scheme. I'll be including Death Skulls units if I do change to a freebooter army, so Death Skulls will still be represented. :mrgreen:
xbfgyb.jpg

urion

I've decided to create an Chaos renegade ork warband to add to my ork army as Freebooterz. Here is a quick picture of my Ork champion of Khorne. I went with the medium sized champion and his retinue for 400pts (D4+4 rewards). I got 7 rewards, I rolled 3 chaos attributes, Regeneration twice (one given to his banner bearer), Eye of God, and Daemon Weapon (bound Bloodletter). The three attributes I rolled were Weapon Master (+6 WS), Iron Hard Skin (+3 Armour Save) and Fear of...Blood. :shock: :oops: I'm going to have to write a backstory for him, that's all there is to it. :lol:
33yrupt.jpg

Suber

Absolutely terrific! I like them all, but the Weirdboy is fantastic, with those colours. Great!

urion

Space Ork Freebooterz

I decided to make my Ork army Freebooterz instead of Death Skulls, though I am still creating an outcast Death Skulls retinue. I just like the diversity of the models in a freebooter army better. One of the units I am currently working on is a Khornate renegade ork warband. I just finished the champion Badgor Gargrim.
2z85iyv.jpg

mmplrr.jpg

2retnqt.jpg

qn8lxl.jpg

symphonicpoet

Freebooterz gives you a lot of flexibility. I love the way you painted that conversion. The unusual blueish skin and the yellow of the axe against the otherwise dark and foreboding uniform really make him pop. I also really like how your gold and your checks came out. Very very nice.

urion

Thanks guys. Here is the second in command of the warband, Warlord Gutzdreg. He will be leading the madboyz of the warband.
2vx0t1z.jpg

1zzjors.jpg

urion

Thank you. The right side has ork glyphs and the left has chaos glyphs.

urion

Thanks guys. I've been working on these guys along side my genestealer hybrids. I'm working on a mutant ork right now as another warband member.

urion

Finally finished my ork mutant. It took me a while because I let him sit and didn't work on him after I got his colors filled in. I decided to finish him while everyone else was painting their Khornate renegades. Here is Gorgof, the leader of the warband's stormboyz.
9vfnee.jpg

Back