Nurgle Genestealer Cult

urion

So I've been convinced to build a genestealer cult. I decided to have them dedicated to Nurgle. I haven't seen a Nurgle genestealer cult yet and I like the parallel between Nurgle and infecting humans with genestealer DNA. Also I can now use the few Nurgle daemons I own. Here is the base of the Patriarch I am currently painting.
mt9n4i.jpg

Also to give a warning so you aren't gripped by horror and revulsion. I am not painting my patriarch purple and blue. :o

urion

I think this might just be my favorite GW mini ever. He reminds me so much of Ian Miller and Tony Hough artwork.
Papa Justify!
2n81rx3.jpg

urion

Thank you. I am going to do a voodoo theme for his cult. I am currently checking with my friend down the street about sculpting top hats, because I'm a terrible sculptor.

urion":3kr2hixv said:
Thank you. I am going to do a voodoo theme for his cult. I am currently checking with my friend down the street about sculpting top hats, because I'm a terrible sculptor.

No, please don't.

LeadAsbestos":1ju3j7jf said:
urion":1ju3j7jf said:

No, please don't.

Agreed :lol:

Oh, and I was wondering if you could increase the brighteness on your photos? Their a little too dark to fully appreciate.

That base looks great by the way, is it scratchbuilt?

urion

It is scratch built. I can increase the brightness. I don't really have a good setup for photography, no softbox or filters or anything so my photos come out poorly. I can move the light a little closer though.

Much better :grin:

You've done a great job on him....and the rest of your minis too!

It's great that we can all appreciate him in all his bright, putrid glory now :grin:

Cheers Urion.

urion

Thanks guys. As for the voodoo theme. I'm keeping it. Though I am going for a less "hokey" look. So no top hats, but there will be skull faces and voodoo symbolism. ;) Here is my progress on the magus/voodoo priest. I'll clean the symbols up a little as I go and apparently I need to re-prime the jewel.
k3t1zn.jpg

2h3nfr9.jpg

6e3tw6.jpg

24qu8ua.jpg

That's tasty Urion :grin:

Upon closer inspection I noticed the dark pink shadow around the rear & sides of his head....really subtle and effective!

How'd you achieve the brass on his staff? Very nice.

Your definitely a gun with a brush Urion!!!

zoggin-eck

Great work! For the Magus, very different paint job to a model that can look very "samey" after so many variations of black/blue/purple (although I'll second demi_morgana, I'm always excited to see this model!).

One thing you've done so well is to get a different look just with paint alone. If I went for a Nurgle cult, I'd probably ruin every model with tons of greenstuff pus and tentacles, "ruining" two of my favourite old models*.

* I'm always torn between the two "models are supposed to be cut up and converted" and "OOP models are too precious!" camps.

urion

Thanks guys that means a lot too me.

How'd you achieve the brass on his staff? Very nice.
I used a green weathering pigment on a basecoat of Tinny Tin (Game Color).

* I'm always torn between the two "models are supposed to be cut up and converted" and "OOP models are too precious!" camps.
I often have that same problem. I was thinking about this yesterday actually. The conclusion I came to was partially inspired by something John Blanche said along the lines of a miniature should be a small piece of artwork in itself, I am paraphrasing and others may be able to quote it better. For me when I paint a miniature for pleasure it is to express myself artistically and create a vision of the model in my head. The limitation I have is that I am a good converter and a poor sculptor. I think of a miniature's creation as a two step process. Step one is the vision of the sculptor who is creating it from the concept artists drawings and the second is the painter's vision based on the sculptor's original sculpture, which can be altered if necessary.

Back